[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
beschadigunc

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

KLC Racing proudly presents the MVRC 2023 Challenger "Arzu"

This particular chassis has been developed in only a week due to previously full schedule, I hope to become competitive by race two.

LVDH

The cars look great! Looks like this year, we have cars looking much closer to the real deal.
For those using FreeCAD, I know it is hard to learn, but since a while, there is a Youtube channel that can help:
https://www.youtube.com/@MangoJellySolutions
The videos are a tad too long, but they often cover topics where I would have had no idea on how to even begin tackling them in FreeCAD.

variante

Koldskaal wrote:
21 May 2023, 21:35
Here's my car for race 1
Descent improvement compared to last year, very curious to see how it compares.
https://i.imgur.com/MtctLtv.png
https://i.imgur.com/B9cxZVD.png
Cooling should be fine.
Worthy car of a title defender. Glad that you kept the chimneys. I particularly like front wing; i might follow with that 2-in-1 airfoil.

Ft5fTL wrote:
21 May 2023, 22:20
Here is my 2023 challenger. Mostly same from last season. I could not get the balance right for the first race (cop around 1.65) so i dont expect a top 5 finish for this one.
Sorry to hear that, but a simple de-tuning of that front wing would do wonders. The car looks nice and promising.

beschadigunc wrote:
22 May 2023, 02:54
KLC Racing proudly presents the MVRC 2023 Challenger "Arzu"

https://i.imgur.com/W5iKIOt.png
https://i.imgur.com/mR0Mxdy.png
https://i.imgur.com/0vVF94c.png
https://i.imgur.com/nYFcMR1.png

This particular chassis has been developed in only a week due to previously full schedule, I hope to become competitive by race two.
It looks nice already. Have you gone for vertical radiators though?

Ft5fTL

Very nice and interesting cars, seems like this season will be very tight.
CAEdevice wrote:
21 May 2023, 21:56
I guess it is OK for you all if I go on with the car presentations (using the images you published here) on LinkedIn. Let me know if you prefer to not be mentioned.

(If possible, help me mentioning your team name when you present the new cars).
I have no problem with it. Use my renders however you want :)
variante wrote:
22 May 2023, 16:55
Ft5fTL wrote:
21 May 2023, 22:20
Here is my 2023 challenger. Mostly same from last season. I could not get the balance right for the first race (cop around 1.65) so i dont expect a top 5 finish for this one.
Sorry to hear that, but a simple de-tuning of that front wing would do wonders. The car looks nice and promising.
The thing is, this is my last spec front wing of the 2022 challenge (minus the new endplate). After 10 different fw's i tried the old one and with the current rules and parts it peaked around -1.7 cl with better cooling numbers. I probably should have tried a more "trimmed" version of it but it seems like my losses are from the new floor rules mostly. I lost too much time on different chassis (around 15 of 'em) and did not paid attention to what matters.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

beschadigunc

variante wrote:
22 May 2023, 16:55
It looks nice already. Have you gone for vertical radiators though?
Not quite vertical no , looks nice doesn't bring grip sadly (yet) :D

spacehead3

So, did anybody try to run some rake? I've not had time to try it yet.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
23 May 2023, 04:18
So, did anybody try to run some rake? I've not had time to try it yet.
I used a small angle (0,1/0,2) only to improve balance (not in the car I submitted), but never tried to optimize car with a proper rake set up, I don't think I will consider it neither for the second race.

yinlad

I did some tests with rake as the lowest RRH adversely affected diffuser vortex health, and while minor degrees of rake helped with that, it still cost more performance to add rake than leave it slammed to the ground with diffuser vortices exploding. But this was on fairly short and fast Sims. How any of that translates to long, 'slow' Sims is anyone's guess. Not to mention the relatively low levels of downforce I'm working with in comparison to others and how that would change things.

Side note, I've found +20% df on a new floor since submitting for R01 (again on fast Sims). So I'm edging closer to where I wanted to be for this season
MVRC - Panthera

beschadigunc

After using my 2 day delay rights , I have submitted my car ( well twice because I made a rookie mistake in the first one :D ) , Also I realized I was simulating the cooling wrong in which I used one stl part for both cooling monitors and radiators sooooo I have no clue what will happen to the cooling now that it is fixed for the first time in the race :D . Good Luck everyone

beschadigunc

beschadigunc wrote:
24 May 2023, 00:10
After using my 2 day delay rights , I have submitted my car ( well twice because I made a rookie mistake in the first one :D ) , Also I realized I was simulating the cooling wrong in which I used one stl part for both cooling monitors and radiators sooooo I have no clue what will happen to the cooling now that it is fixed for the first time in the race :D . Good Luck everyone
Yeah I wont finish the first race , as I have developed the cooling in completely wrong way using both rads in one part therefore I thought I was getting good results but they were falsely good . With my cooling it will not finish the race :R

yinlad

It shouldn't really matter. Only half the car is simulated so whatever the output of the cooling is, doubling it is correct so you should be ok. As far as I can work out
MVRC - Panthera

beschadigunc

yinlad wrote:
24 May 2023, 20:14
It shouldn't really matter. Only half the car is simulated so whatever the output of the cooling is, doubling it is correct so you should be ok. As far as I can work out
Well it matters, the same car same settings . One has both radiators in one stl file and other thas seperate stl files for both radiators and seperate file has 0.9 total cooling in total after. ( first did this simulation yesterday night). And the one that has both rads in the same stl gives 1.5 cooling

yinlad

Huh that's weird, I guess I'm wrong 🤣
MVRC - Panthera

yinlad

Can I suggest extending this regulation surface inwards to give a bit more room around the headrest area? There's a 5mm gap at best between surface and reg box at the moment.
MVRC - Panthera

BlakjeKaas

BlakjeKaas wrote:
21 May 2023, 22:11
Amazing to see all these cars popping up today, looks like we will be having a great competition again this year!

I've only been able to create a very primitive design so far, but have some trouble to run it through MFlow.
MFlow states that a build has not been created, but a "runCase.sh" does appear in the map.
I've tried running "runCase" within OpenFOAM, but to be able to make that work I had to change every instance of "mpirun" to "mpiexec" within the runCase-file.
After this, OpenFOAM does seem to do its thing, but it runs into errors during the process.
OpenFOAM crashes after not being able to find a PatchField entry for the RHS heat exchanger, even though both the heat exchanger bodies and heat exchanger planes are in the right corresponding folders:

--> FOAM Warning :
--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR: (openfoam-2106)
Cannot find patchField entry for none_to_hx_right

I'll try some troubleshooting in the coming weeks, hopefully I will be able to create a working car this season! :)
I was able to run a simulation in OPENFoam after running the "runCase.sh" via the terminal.
However, any surfaces (cooling, exhaust, but not the engine inlet) that I use, crash the OPENFoam solver with the "patchField"-error described above.
Any tips on how to make these surfaces work?

I'm using MantiumFlow - Windows - V2305b with OPENFoam 2106 (the latest one which is supported I believe).
MVRC: Tulip Racing