2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Las Vegas 2023

gcdugas wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 16:33
It's an intentionally timed shakedown. Absolutely criminal. They should arrest the principals of Liberty and toss them in jail for extortion. Even more so since it happened in public and the facts are not in dispute.
A daft thing to say considering it's Vegas we are talking about....the place is home of extortion. You may as well close down the place and throw everyone in jail then.

As someone said above: it's vegas and nothing is free. These venues are just getting played at the game they play themselves.

PlatinumZealot

gcdugas wrote:
It's an intentionally timed shakedown. Absolutely criminal. They should arrest the principals of Liberty and toss them in jail for extortion. Even more so since it happened in public and the facts are not in dispute.
Sounds like it is the hotels that are capitalizing by raising room prices. Should Liberty benefit from this? Yes. I think they can do it through, legal and state channels. Liberty can ask for more contribution fro the state: tax from the hotels' increase prices can be put towards it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Rodak
Rodak

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 16:29
gcdugas wrote:
Sounds like it is the hotels that are capitalizing by raising room prices. Should Liberty benefit from this? Yes. I think they can do it through, legal and state channels. Liberty can ask for more contribution fro the state: tax from the hotels' increase prices can be put towards it.
So Liberty is a private for profit business and believes in the invisible hand of the market, etc. etc. Except when they think they can get government funds....
While repaving for November’s F1 race is well underway, the Las Vegas Grand Prix (LVGP) is just now asking Clark County to help cover the total cost of $80 million.

Stephanie Allen, representing LVGP during Tuesday’s Clark County Board of Commissioners meeting, revealed the price tag that, until now, has been unknown. The ask of LVGP: Clark County covers $40 million of it or half the total cost.
https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-new ... afford-it/

This behavior by a private business to get public funds for their for profit event disgusts me. If they made more money than expected would they give some back to the state? Highly doubtful.

PlatinumZealot

Liberty will push the case of economic knock-on effects from more employment and increased visitors jusitfying the outlay.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

I wonder how big a fraud this GP is going to be and if the teams are going to be at war with FOM.

Saudi pays about $55 a year is probably the most expensive contract. The Las Vegas race is probably going to be the largest event with ticket sale topping $150 million. FOM as a promotor would be looking at giving some of other liberty owned businesses sweet contracts so that majority of the $ 150 million are spent as expenses. The teams and shareholders need to be on top of the way this is run as we may not see F1 revenue going up by much by this extravagant event, while liberty could be making a lot more outside of FOM from this event.

basti313
basti313

What do you mean with this? I would expect that similar to Singapore there are well sorted hotel packages for teams and sponsors. The hotels do such contracts for any bigger show. I have been to Vegas just recently on such a package.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Juzh

basti313 wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 12:58
What do you mean with this? I would expect that similar to Singapore there are well sorted hotel packages for teams and sponsors. The hotels do such contracts for any bigger show. I have been to Vegas just recently on such a package.
Teams get a cut of profits FOM generates with charging promoters to come race on their tracks, but in Vegas' case FOM themselves are the promoter, so they could in effect bank all the profit and not share anything with the teams because no fee was charged in the first place. Some other arrangements have to be made (profits generated from event itself as indicated by poster above), but those could be obfuscated in many number of ways, leaving f1 teams with scraps.

this is a potential scenario, but I don't see it happening in such blatant way.

mclaren111

Juzh wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 13:32
basti313 wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 12:58
Teams get a cut of profits FOM generates with charging promoters to come race on their tracks, but in Vegas' case FOM themselves are the promoter, so they could in effect bank all the profit and not share anything with the teams because no fee was charged in the first place. Some other arrangements have to be made (profits generated from event itself as indicated by poster above), but those could be obfuscated in many number of ways, leaving f1 teams with scraps.

this is a potential scenario, but I don't see it happening in such blatant way.

Greed by these big corporations are Astounding... :evil: :evil:

FW17

How is this being allowed? Is this track even certified by the FIA??

jaysvw
jaysvw

FW17 wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 15:18
How is this being allowed? Is this track even certified by the FIA??

https://www.reviewjournal.com/wp-conten ... jpg?crop=1
If you are referring to the netting on the pedestrian bridge, I'm going to go out on a HUGE limb here and say that's for the safety of the workers and something more substantial will be installed closer to the GP.

Rodak
Rodak

Are you sure that's a pedestrian walkway? It sure seems overbuilt for carrying foot traffic.

search

Rodak wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 16:18
Are you sure that's a pedestrian walkway? It sure seems overbuilt for carrying foot traffic.
no, not according to the article the picture is from:

"The four-lane, 760-foot structure will allow approved traffic to cross over the race track when drivers are on the course. That traffic will be limited to hotel employees and guests with proper credentials.

“The temporary vehicular bridges are a special feature for the Las Vegas Grand Prix,” said Terry Miller of Miller Project Management, who leads infrastructure work tied to the race.“Unlike many other city circuits where Formula One has events, we don’t have a lot of overpasses in this corridor that allows traffic to move freely over the main circuit area. So we have to build the overpasses.”

When the track isn’t in use, the bridge will be open to all traffic, along with the general purpose lanes of Flamingo. Drivers on Flamingo will be able to bypass the traffic signal at the intersection during non-race hours while utilizing the bridge."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news ... n-2922503/

Wouter

I just looked at a few weather sites. Around 21 C degrees during the day all week and 9 - 10 C degrees at night!
I just saw that the FP2 and qualifying is there at 12:00 AM at night!
Why actually? Why not just during the day?

Driving a racecar on a street circuit when it is 10 C degrees! :lol:
The Power of Dreams!

Ozan
Ozan

mix of miami and saudi arabia with last sector resembles this year's singapore gp

Mattchu

This crap just shows how far from it`s original core values Formula 1 has gone!