Schumi comes back

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium

Re: Schumi comes back

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Its gonna be like Top gun!

The best of the best!

Just a shame that the Iceman is going for an ice cream!
I dont think so now, i think hes gonna raise his game alot now to prove that he is the number 1 in the team and not Schumacher.

i70q7m7ghw

Bad move IMO, it can only serve to damage him. If he finishes behind Kimi people will say Kimi was a better driver all along and he was a more worthy champion. I know it would be unfair to say that considering he's been out of the car so long, he's had no experience of this car etc. etc. But that is what people will say, and that is what history will say.

How is Massa going to see this? That's his seat!

The real good news of today is that Massa is walking, and disappointed about the Hungary result exclaiming "That was my race!". Excellent news, he will be back this season!

Mr Alcatraz

WhiteBlue wrote:I did not think he would do it but both Domenicali and Montezemolo asked him to do it. So pending all medical go well he will be back in the F60. I love it. Many of the young drivers will love to compete with him on track.

Kimi is probably completely umperturbated. He will say something like this: "I drive the car and we are still not fast enough. The car needs more hard work by the team. There is a second car and I don't really care who drives it."
Very well stated my man! I hope he bring a serious can of whip-@$$ with him [-o<

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

sstanescu

Man, oh man! Der Kaiser is back!

I wish it would have happen, sooner or later, but definetly not replacing poor Massa! Now the team will have massive exposure and I can only hope the media will not eat him. If he manage to stay close to Kimi, fine with me. Maybe the team, for sake of good old times, will give him a 50bhp more :lol:

Seriously speaking, I can read Ferrari's move the following way: "We are screwed this year, we lost Massa for a while, Kimi.... well...you know him... Would you drive for us, doing some real development for the next year? The chaps really need some reliable feedback." I guess it was a tough choice, but, as a Schumi fan, I guess he is going to do it because of his character, because the red army needs again a brave man to lead them in battle.

Anyway, let's hope he's fit, he's hungry, and Alonso will have the opportunity to fight with him again in Valencia (why on earth they are not putting a huge fine on Renault, deduct point from them, but let the poor drivers do their job?)

So, a warm welcome from me, Schumi! =D>

jddh1

Re: Schumi Confirmed for rest of 09

Please consolidate this thread with the existing one.

NOTE from mods: Thanks, jddh1. Did so.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 06 Aug 2009, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged from another thread

axle

Diesel wrote:Bad move IMO, it can only serve to damage him. If he finishes behind Kimi people will say Kimi was a better driver all along and he was a more worthy champion. I know it would be unfair to say that considering he's been out of the car so long, he's had no experience of this car etc. etc. But that is what people will say, and that is what history will say.

How is Massa going to see this? That's his seat!

The real good news of today is that Massa is walking, and disappointed about the Hungary result exclaiming "That was my race!". Excellent news, he will be back this season!
Personally I don't think his reputation will be ruined by failing to beat Kimi, on the other hand Kimi's would be if Schumi beat him.

It's a favour, jumping in the car mid season without any competition experience of late will be tough.
- Axle

WhiteBlue

axle wrote: Personally I don't think his reputation will be ruined by failing to beat Kimi, on the other hand Kimi's would be if Schumi beat him.
+1

To come out of retirement without a warning, without his usual level of fitness and probably 15 kg over his optimum weight will not be a fair test for the man. He starts with some serious handicaps. He still does it for the company and that is very honorable.

Btw, nobody can take away what he already achieved, which is far more than what Kimi did in the same time.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 29 Jul 2009, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jddh1

What if Schumi wins the rest of the races and gets a respectable standing on the WDC? wow! I should stop thinking about it.

walter

Diesel wrote:Bad move IMO, it can only serve to damage him. If he finishes behind Kimi people will say Kimi was a better driver all along and he was a more worthy champion. I know it would be unfair to say that considering he's been out of the car so long, he's had no experience of this car etc. etc. But that is what people will say, and that is what history will say.

The comparison to Kimi is irrelevant because this is above all a noble gesture from Michael. I see that whatever position he may be at the end of the race, he will still be praised for coming back on such a short notice to step in for his friend.

there are different playing fields and expectations from drivers... just to give you an example, the other end of the spectrum... look at the credentials that Alguersuari earned by just finishing a race distance on his first race. I'm not suggesting that Michael will get it that easy, but perhaps a small achievement will nonetheless be regarded as proof that the effort was not a bad decision.

Bottom line, I think it will all come down to how Michael presents himself to the press and what expectations he puts on himself.

jonathan189

Wow, this is sensational.

Chances are that, after so many years out of the game, Schumi will not be as fast as Kimi and will not win any races. So expectations should be low.

But if he does win a race or does outpace Kimi... that will be the mark of the truly special driver he was in the past. I can't wait to see what happens.
Last edited by jonathan189 on 29 Jul 2009, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

ESPImperium

And for Valencia, Schumi will have a engine that has just over one full race weekend on it as well as a gearbox thats on its third out of 4 races.

He will not have a shabby package. He will probably use the Ferrari F60-276 chassis as well, as the 277 one looked destroyed after Massas hit the wall, the 275 was the Launch chassis that Massa started the season with and the heaviest one. The 279 is Kimis, hes not gonna let that one go in a hurry.

Altho the 278 denotation has still to be used, maybes a 278 "Schumacher Special" chassis???

Gonner

I've always hated Schumi, but let's be realistic. Does he know how to deal with movable flaps? With KERS ? Does he even know the F60B ? He won't get any mileage until Valencia, he'll discover the track as well.

If he reaches the top, then I'll shut up for the rest of life and I'll consider him as one of the best drivers ever. So far, he's still the man that has a trend to cheat when things go wrong.

But it's sure a nice thing, especially on the worst track of the year.

modbaraban

sstanescu wrote:I can read Ferrari's move the following way: "We are screwed this year, we lost Massa for a while, Kimi.... well...you know him... Would you drive for us, doing some real development for the next year? The chaps really need some reliable feedback."
"....so let's bring in a 40 year old driver with recent motorcycle injury, that haven't stepped in an F1 car for a year and haven't raced for 3 years, and will not race next year! Now that would be some feedback hehe! So lest throw him in without testing! Yay!"

=D> :mrgreen:

ESPImperium

Could he test a F2008 with simulated 2009 downforce levels???

Article 22 of the 2009 Sporting Regs:
22) TESTING
22.1 a) Testing shall be considered any track running time undertaken by a competitor entered in the Championship with the exception of :
i) promotional or demonstration events carried out using tyres provided specifically for this purpose by the appointed supplier ;
ii) young driver training, any such driver having not competed in an F1 World Championship Event in the preceding 24 months nor tested a Formula One car on more than four days in the same 24 month period.
b) No competitor may carry out more than 30000km of testing during a calendar year.
c) Cars must be fitted with the FIA ECU required by Article 8.2 of the 2009 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations.
d) No testing is permitted at sites which are not currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars. In order to ensure that venue licence conditions are respected at all times during testing, competitors are required to inform the FIA of their test schedule in order that an observer may be appointed if deemed necessary.
e) During all Formula One testing :
- red flag procedures must be respected ;
- no other type of vehicle is permitted on the track ;
- every reasonable effort should be made to ensure that the recommendations concerning emergency services detailed in Article 16 of Appendix H to the Code are followed.
f) If, after an incident, the Medical Warning Light signals that threshold forces have been exceeded the driver must present himself for examination in the circuit medical centre without delay.
Just something someone on another forum has floated in my brain!?!

mep

It is confirmed, Sabine Kehm press relations officer just said it in german TV.