2024 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DChemTech
DChemTech

Re: 2024 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 22 - 24

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 17:42
RonMexico wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 16:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 16:32

It's not the same. Drivers lift and coast all the time. Stabbing on the brakes is way more erratic.
Was the braking a factor? According to the FIA statement it wasn't.

People have died at Eau Rouge, lifting unexpectedly mid corner is hardly safe.

Would Hamilton get a penalty for that move now? I think he would
Did you read the final ruling?
Potentially dangerous defending.

Lift and coasting into what is essentially a straight is different than stabbing the brakes around blind high speed corner with a chicane after it. There is no comparison with Eau Rouge.
Eau rouge is hardly a straight with good visibility, no?
Anyway, this is a bit of a non discussion; "is some incident in a time go by a penalty by todays standards?". Let's not waste too much energy on it. Celebrate what really matters: double points for Haas. Wacht out podiums all over the world, Hulkenberg is on his way!

performergr
performergr

Does anyone remember hamilton brake in the straight at canada to not give drs to alonso?

franbatista123

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 17:48
RonMexico wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 14:01
Looks like we have a championship battle
Tbh if Ferrari is competitive in Japan I'll be pleasantly surprised
Not that unlikely when you see how good they've become on high speed. High chance we see a massive improvement in S1 compared to last year.

venkyhere
venkyhere

franbatista123 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 18:26
InsaneX_Badger wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 17:48
RonMexico wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 14:01
Looks like we have a championship battle
Tbh if Ferrari is competitive in Japan I'll be pleasantly surprised
Not that unlikely when you see how good they've become on high speed. High chance we see a massive improvement in S1 compared to last year.
Looking at the delta between RedBull and Ferrari in the T7-T9 'curve' in Melbourne, I still expect RedBull to be faster in Suzuka.S1 than Ferrari. Let's see, if it's indeed matched, that much better for the rest of the season, less boring/predictable races.

Cs98
Cs98

Seanspeed wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 17:39
Cs98 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:30
Seanspeed wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 03:16

Fantastic hard lap in Q1, and a really solid P12 overall. No matter what happens, that hard Q1 lap proves he had no restraint like you were claiming he would.

You should really stop making so many assumptions and misunderstanding how top competitors minds' work. Making a mistake in a place is not gonna stop everybody from still being able to push hard after. I know this perfectly myself doing sim racing. Yea, maybe I'll double check myself on some non-essential laps just to get the feeling back, but typically I dont let something like a mistake create some submissive/scared situation. If you have that mentality, you've already lost and probably wouldn't ever cut it in a professional situation.
Nah, left a lot of time on the table in quali and couldn't even score a single point despite 3 top cars not finishing. That car had a point in it today and he wasn't good enough to pull it out. Haas running away in the WCC.
This is just embarrassing man. You simply cant admit you were wrong. Albon drove a perfectly decent race with the machinery he had. But you're going to say otherwise no matter what, aren't you? smh
Albon drove a subpar race, he was overly conservative and could not capitalise on a huge opportunity to score points with many top cars going out. The real embarrassment this weekend was Williams, first to not have a spare chassi, and then to place crash prone Albon in the car to deliver a subpar performance.

Wouter

mzso wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 17:22
By the way, can anyone lip read? I wonder what Verstappen reacted with "f*cking stupid".
I suspect some human error for the brake failure, like when they forgot to remove the covers for button in monaco. But they're just saying the brake "was stuck on" the whole time. Which may or may not be true.
Max thought it was dangerous driving to the box because his car was on fire. That was his "Stupid" about.
He would have stopped the car on the circuit immediately.
The Power of Dreams!

KimiRai
KimiRai

performergr wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 18:19
Does anyone remember hamilton brake in the straight at canada to not give drs to alonso?

Yes Ive thought of it too. It is what it is, a new precedent has been set so past actions don't matter. Now they better enforce it.

RonMexico
RonMexico

PlatinumZealot wrote:
RonMexico wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

It's not the same. Drivers lift and coast all the time. Stabbing on the brakes is way more erratic.

Lift and coasting into what is essentially a straight is different than stabbing the brakes around blind high speed corner with a chicane after it. There is no comparison with Eau Rouge.
Alonso took the corner normally and yes I did read the statement. The issue was over him lifting off 100m early before the braking point.

Would Hamilton have received a penalty for his lift through a flat corner based off what happened today?

For the record I don't think he should have and I don't think Alonso should have received his penalty today either. I think Russell was caught off guard but was more inattentive than anything

stephen

Zynerji wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 20:49
stephen wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 20:41
It doesn't look fair to take away Logan's car and giving it to Alex. How do you guys feel about this situation?
Meh. Employees are always dealing with similar in every other company in the world.

Aces get the places.
Aces? Both Mercedes and 1 Red Bull DNF and Albon still didn’t score points :)
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

Waz
Waz

Alonso has a valid point, that on most other corners, Russell doesn't lose it touching the gravel.

It's honestly a racing incident, and if it was any other team, it probably would be.

Edax
Edax

Wouter wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 18:56
mzso wrote:
By the way, can anyone lip read? I wonder what Verstappen reacted with "f*cking stupid".
I suspect some human error for the brake failure, like when they forgot to remove the covers for button in monaco. But they're just saying the brake "was stuck on" the whole time. Which may or may not be true.
Max thought it was dangerous driving to the box because his car was on fire. That was his "Stupid" about.
Makes sense. When he enters the pits the right tire hub explodes quite violently. Had it happened a hundred meters further it could have sprayed some hot debris over officials or waiting pit crews.

Juzh

mzso wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 13:40
Is on board footage of Verstappen's brief race available somewhere?
https://streamable.com/izwkth

Mogster

Edax wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 22:34
Wouter wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 18:56
mzso wrote:
Makes sense. When he enters the pits the right tire hub explodes quite violently. Had it happened a hundred meters further it could have sprayed some hot debris over officials or waiting pit crews.
On the Sky broadcast you could hear him saying FIRE FIRE FIRE over the radio. I’m surprised he didn’t just park it in front of the fire marshalls post irrespective of what the pit wall were telling him.

Mandrake
Mandrake

PlatinumZealot wrote:
RonMexico wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Eau Rouge is a nasty place, especially before the renovations there was a nasty bump just in the middle of going up. When going up there at 180kph I had to open the steering slightly. If there was a car in front of me lifting that would have sent me into the wall straight.

I know F1 cars are a completely different breed, but there are reasons for GT3 cars and Formula cars losing it there and crashing hard. That's no place for a slight lift, much much more so than what Fernando did today.

PlatinumZealot

Cs98 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 18:42
Seanspeed wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 17:39
Cs98 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:30

Nah, left a lot of time on the table in quali and couldn't even score a single point despite 3 top cars not finishing. That car had a point in it today and he wasn't good enough to pull it out. Haas running away in the WCC.
This is just embarrassing man. You simply cant admit you were wrong. Albon drove a perfectly decent race with the machinery he had. But you're going to say otherwise no matter what, aren't you? smh
Albon drove a subpar race, he was overly conservative and could not capitalise on a huge opportunity to score points with many top cars going out. The real embarrassment this weekend was Williams, first to not have a spare chassi, and then to place crash prone Albon in the car to deliver a subpar performance.
It wasn't Albon's fault it was the weak strategy by the team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN