2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Elite
Elite
-3
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:53 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

I agree. The w13 was ahead of its time in slow tyre warm up for good tyre life. It's a characteristic the rb19 showed as well as this years sf24. It was one of the better characteristics and helped the w13 have a few chances to win which didn't happen due to multiple circumstances. The w14 had the same but was overall slower relative to red bull.

A great hiring especially with the tyres changing in 2026.

Jerome was Toto wolff's right hand man. He must be feeling sick. You could tell though when lewis got Pole at Hungary last year. Jerome was the most excited in the garage, he is a true admirer of lewis :mrgreen:

dia6olo
dia6olo
2
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:18 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Do we know who was responsible for the development of how the the SF-24 uses its tyres?
I'm assuming that they have only just officially completed the Loic Serra signing and that he had no part in it.
And I'm asking because they have clearly understood they have had a tyre problem for some time and with the SF-24 they have done a stellar job of correcting it.
Not everything is perfect with how the car uses its tyres but a significant improvement was made...

Sphere3758
Sphere3758
0
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:48 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

dia6olo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:55 pm
Do we know who was responsible for the development of how the the SF-24 uses its tyres?
I'm assuming that they have only just officially completed the Loic Serra signing and that he had no part in it.
And I'm asking because they have clearly understood they have had a tyre problem for some time and with the SF-24 they have done a stellar job of correcting it.
Not everything is perfect with how the car uses its tyres but a significant improvement was made...
It is probably linked to the rear suspension. Both Ferrari and Haas magically improved while both Mercedes and Aston got worse.

User avatar
deadhead
46
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:24 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Sphere3758 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 10:52 pm
dia6olo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:55 pm
Do we know who was responsible for the development of how the the SF-24 uses its tyres?
I'm assuming that they have only just officially completed the Loic Serra signing and that he had no part in it.
And I'm asking because they have clearly understood they have had a tyre problem for some time and with the SF-24 they have done a stellar job of correcting it.
Not everything is perfect with how the car uses its tyres but a significant improvement was made...
It is probably linked to the rear suspension. Both Ferrari and Haas magically improved while both Mercedes and Aston got worse.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It’s also likely causing the warm up issues in qualifying.

Space-heat
Space-heat
11
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:01 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Space-heat wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm
Xyz22 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:28 pm
This is the biggest upgrade package Ferrari has worked on since i'd say 2012. In recent years, they have never brought a massive package to a single race weekend. The Spain update last year was an outlier as the goal was to start getting real track data on the downwash concept.

I can't wait to see the changes and the impact on car behavior. It will be a very significant test for the Technical team as well now that is completely under the leadership of Enrico Cardile.
Too much hype. One hope is that, it was mentioned in the first formula uno article on the overbite, that the RBR engineers Ferrari traded for Laurent Mekies (Ferrari were apparently already on the concept) they were able to input. Hopefully, they might have acted as a sanity check on the new direction from their experience in RBR.

I can not wait for Imola, but more nervous than anything for the implosion that will happen if they only deliver 1-2 tenths now that the bar has been raised. I would have felt much better if this ForumlaUno article dropped next week after the filming. Be interesting to see if their is a less enthusiastic brief next week to rein in expectations.
https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-sf-24-2- ... co-perche/

The hype has got out, too late to rein it back in.

Cs98
Cs98
33
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 am

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

If Ferrari are 3rd fastest here it will be a massive disappointment. The media and the fans have hyped it up, now the upgrades must deliver. If they don't then McLaren definitively takes over the position as main challenger to RB, for this year and likely next.

User avatar
bananapeel23
8
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:43 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Elite wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:24 pm
I agree. The w13 was ahead of its time in slow tyre warm up for good tyre life. It's a characteristic the rb19 showed as well as this years sf24. It was one of the better characteristics and helped the w13 have a few chances to win which didn't happen due to multiple circumstances. The w14 had the same but was overall slower relative to red bull.

A great hiring especially with the tyres changing in 2026.

Jerome was Toto wolff's right hand man. He must be feeling sick. You could tell though when lewis got Pole at Hungary last year. Jerome was the most excited in the garage, he is a true admirer of lewis :mrgreen:
Doesn’t the philosophy of sacrificing warmup to get good tyre wear stretch back way further than that? Mercedes always had great tyre wear post-2018, yet always struggled with warmup (apart from when they had DAS). That was especially obvious in 2021 when Red Bull was outright faster at times, but always suffered from much more deg.

Xyz22
Xyz22
102
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:05 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Space-heat wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:11 pm
Space-heat wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm
Xyz22 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:28 pm
This is the biggest upgrade package Ferrari has worked on since i'd say 2012. In recent years, they have never brought a massive package to a single race weekend. The Spain update last year was an outlier as the goal was to start getting real track data on the downwash concept.

I can't wait to see the changes and the impact on car behavior. It will be a very significant test for the Technical team as well now that is completely under the leadership of Enrico Cardile.
Too much hype. One hope is that, it was mentioned in the first formula uno article on the overbite, that the RBR engineers Ferrari traded for Laurent Mekies (Ferrari were apparently already on the concept) they were able to input. Hopefully, they might have acted as a sanity check on the new direction from their experience in RBR.

I can not wait for Imola, but more nervous than anything for the implosion that will happen if they only deliver 1-2 tenths now that the bar has been raised. I would have felt much better if this ForumlaUno article dropped next week after the filming. Be interesting to see if their is a less enthusiastic brief next week to rein in expectations.
https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-sf-24-2- ... co-perche/

The hype has got out, too late to rein it back in.
Ferrari downplaying it is actually a very good sign.
I'm not hyped, i just stated a fact. If you go back to previous seasons Ferrari has never delivered such a package in a single weekend in terms of scope. Will it work? I have no --- idea but the expectations internally have always been extremely high, as highlighted by Leclerc multiple times during recent interviews.

Imola and Spain will provide answers.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot
0
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:19 am

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

ehh the season is still long, last year their Barcelona update didn't really hit the mark, and they could not get a grip until 2nd half. but this time they are starting with a base they understand.. lets wait and see..

Xyz22
Xyz22
102
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:05 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Fakepivot wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 2:17 pm
ehh the season is still long, last year their Barcelona update didn't really hit the mark, and they could not get a grip until 2nd half. but this time they are starting with a base they understand.. lets wait and see..
Of course. It was an upgrade aimed at gaining understanding of a new aero concept, not directly related to performance. Actually, according to reports, the data from the wind tunnel was actually worse in terms of load compared to the previous spec.

MTL79
MTL79
1
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Space-heat wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:11 pm
Space-heat wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm
Xyz22 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:28 pm
This is the biggest upgrade package Ferrari has worked on since i'd say 2012. In recent years, they have never brought a massive package to a single race weekend. The Spain update last year was an outlier as the goal was to start getting real track data on the downwash concept.

I can't wait to see the changes and the impact on car behavior. It will be a very significant test for the Technical team as well now that is completely under the leadership of Enrico Cardile.
Too much hype. One hope is that, it was mentioned in the first formula uno article on the overbite, that the RBR engineers Ferrari traded for Laurent Mekies (Ferrari were apparently already on the concept) they were able to input. Hopefully, they might have acted as a sanity check on the new direction from their experience in RBR.

I can not wait for Imola, but more nervous than anything for the implosion that will happen if they only deliver 1-2 tenths now that the bar has been raised. I would have felt much better if this ForumlaUno article dropped next week after the filming. Be interesting to see if their is a less enthusiastic brief next week to rein in expectations.
https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-sf-24-2- ... co-perche/

The hype has got out, too late to rein it back in.
The article mentions that the car overheated it's special tires more this time versus the first filming day, albeit it was much colder back in February. So it seems it's not possible to interpret anything at the moment.

jambuka
jambuka
28
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:52 am

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

FP2 will answer all questions. Though rain is expected, so maybe getting setup right would be difficult.

User avatar
deadhead
46
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:24 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

jambuka wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:10 pm
FP2 will answer all questions. Though rain is expected, so maybe getting setup right would be difficult.
FRI-SAT looking dry

Xyz22
Xyz22
102
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:05 pm

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Imola, Canada and Spain will be key to assess how good the upgrade package is.
Extremely important moment to confirm the steps made by the Technical Team.

catent
catent
0
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:52 am

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Post

Unless all the tools and methods being utilized by the technical department have suddenly become unreliable/junk (which is almost impossible), there is no reason to expect the upgrade will not be successful and work as intended. The key - at least initially - to maximizing its impact will be nailing the setup. Understandably that may take some time but the work during filming day + in the simulator gives reason for optimism that they can hit the ground running at Imola.

A poster several pages back referred to the altered airflow of the overbite vs. underbite sidepods. With the current underbite, excess air flows over the sidepod and towards the rear wing; with an overbite, the excess air will be more likely to find the beam wing. A couple thoughts on that (if true): a.) I wonder if a less loaded rear-wing, and thus likely a less planted rear, may suit Leclerc a bit more, b.) in that vein, perhaps more energy towards the beam wing in lieu of the rear wing will assist with activating the tires quicker. Of course, this shift in balance will affect how the car is most optimally setup, hence the point earlier that maximizing initial returns will be contingent on getting the setup right.