Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
codetower

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

What does Marko bring to the table, besides possibly Max? I cant see any team hiring him unless he's somehow tied to Max.

It's like everyone is playing chicken, and right now Max holds all the cards. Red Bull is waiting on him to either leave or stay put (dependent on Marko), Mercedes/Toto is waiting on Max, Sainz is waiting on Max to make a move... I don't believe Audi is in a rush for anyone. They aren't getting VER, they prefer Sainz but if he goes elsewhere I feel they have other options they can go with once the dominoes start to fall.

I personally don't see Max going anywhere before 2027. He'll finish out next year, maybe see what 2026 has in store with RB, maybe he sees something in the sims or other data, and he'll see where everyone else is at before making a decision. He can afford to take a one year hit. After 2026, Hamilton will be done with his Ferrari contract, LEC will be done (unless he renews), Piastri will be done, ALO will be done, there will likely be at least ONE seat available at MERC, the only one with a year still left will be Lando. There will be a HUGE shakeup after 2026 between drivers, teams, pecking order... all aspects. Every team should have at least one open seat, and Max can choose wherever he wants. Why would he tie himself down before then?

CHT
CHT

codetower wrote:
14 May 2024, 18:25
What does Marko bring to the table, besides possibly Max? I cant see any team hiring him unless he's somehow tied to Max.

It's like everyone is playing chicken, and right now Max holds all the cards. Red Bull is waiting on him to either leave or stay put (dependent on Marko), Mercedes/Toto is waiting on Max, Sainz is waiting on Max to make a move... I don't believe Audi is in a rush for anyone. They aren't getting VER, they prefer Sainz but if he goes elsewhere I feel they have other options they can go with once the dominoes start to fall.

I personally don't see Max going anywhere before 2027. He'll finish out next year, maybe see what 2026 has in store with RB, maybe he sees something in the sims or other data, and he'll see where everyone else is at before making a decision. He can afford to take a one year hit. After 2026, Hamilton will be done with his Ferrari contract, LEC will be done (unless he renews), Piastri will be done, ALO will be done, there will likely be at least ONE seat available at MERC, the only one with a year still left will be Lando. There will be a HUGE shakeup after 2026 between drivers, teams, pecking order... all aspects. Every team should have at least one open seat, and Max can choose wherever he wants. Why would he tie himself down before then?
This is the most logical thing to do for Max because he is paid well at RB, he is winning and breaking record and he is the no. 1 driver at RBR.

Ferrari, Merc, Mclaren and RB are all F1 powerhouse, equipped with resources facilities and talents capable of coming out with winning car in 2026. For F1 driver, there is no such thing as team loyalty, they will go where they have higher chance of winning.

You are right about 2027, come 2026 Max will then know where his future lies. I think Max will eventually go to Ferrari, because that is the most lucrative bucket list for F1 driver before they hang up the boots. The only question is when. It could be 2027 (earliest) or it may be 2030 when he has already broken the 7xWDC record.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

codetower wrote:
14 May 2024, 18:25
Marko brings a wealth of insider knowledge about RedBull. He could be someone who can peel away other talent from RBR. Max is just the cherry on the cake so to speak.
Lewis kicked this all off by leaving for Ferrari. I'm guessing if Max stays put, then Sainz will probably be signed by Audi or Mercedes.
I think it depends on what Max actually wants to do. See out his Red Bull contract till 2028 and then move onto Leman etc or take a gamble on Mercedes coming good in 2026. I'd guess if Max signs for Mercedes, it'll be for 2025 and 2026. Leaving 2027 open.

As for Lewis and Ferrari? If he's winning and he still wants to continue I can see a contract extension being done, he brings marketing opportunities for Ferrari that Max quite frankly doesn't (not a slight on Max's talent). If Leclerc isn't performing, then I could see him being replaced by Oliver Beerman. Driver movements after 2026 depends on the pecking order and what seats are open.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Perez's fall in form is starting just in time like it has since 2021. This works in Carlos Sainz favor. With Albon and Hulk gone, some of Red Bulls options are running out.

CHT
CHT

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
19 May 2024, 04:34
Perez's fall in form is starting just in time like it has since 2021. This works in Carlos Sainz favor. With Albon and Hulk gone, some of Red Bulls options are running out.
Yuki is part of RB plan I think.

codetower

If Yuki does get that 2nd seat, what are the odds of Sainz getting a seat at RB (VCARB)?

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Anyone else just spot Marko walking up the grid talking to Carlos?!?

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

CHT wrote:
19 May 2024, 08:07
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
19 May 2024, 04:34
Yuki is part of RB plan I think.
Marko and Horner have already decided that Yuki ain't moving up.

organic

Apparently Bottas is talking to Williams about a 2025 seat. Presumably sees Audi wanting Hulk + Sainz

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
20 May 2024, 17:08
Apparently Bottas is talking to Williams about a 2025 seat. Presumably sees Audi wanting Hulk + Sainz
I think Bottas aimed for the spot that Hulk got, Audi were clear about aiming for a younger and a bit quicker driver as prime driver. However, Audi were also clear they want a German driver, so not sure what Bottas expected... :?

He'd do great in Williams and Vowles will be happy to have him
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FW17

Sainz at RB would be the best option. The team will get better than Merc and can be with the top 3 soon.

Vanja #66

Corriere dello Sport now reporting Sainz only has a real offer and a real shot at Audi, RB and Mercedes don't seem to be an option any more. What's more, they say he already accepted the offer this weekend and officially declined Alpine and Williams. Link is there only for source in Italian

https://www.formulapassion.it/f1/f1-new ... a-che-audi
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ME4ME

I certainly hope that's not the case. Both from the perspective of Perez staying at Red Bull which in my opinion is a utter waste of a seat, but also from the perspective of Sainz. Audi will takes years and years to be competitive.

Aside from Sauber being pretty useless right now, which surely won't change much for 2025, I also see the Audi 2026 power unit as a big risk. I think its very very likely that they'll have the worst unit of all in 2026. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the same uncompetitive state as Mclaren-Honda were in in their worst years together.

DGP123
DGP123

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 May 2024, 13:23
Corriere dello Sport now reporting Sainz only has a real offer and a real shot at Audi, RB and Mercedes don't seem to be an option any more. What's more, they say he already accepted the offer this weekend
Thought that would be the outcome. He’s never been elite, and his early season purple patch has ended now. He’ll take the money, like Ricciardo did at Renault & McLaren, and see his days out in F1 at Audi.

chrisc90

I'll be disappointed if Perez gets the seat tbh. If the others get closer, it cant be Max vs 2 all season.