Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
User avatar
Jurgen von Diaz
0
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:38 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Red Bull can still win all championships with Pérez so long as the car is best, but here is the question: What happens when the car isn't superior? Verstappen has the balls to fight for wins, but meanwhile, Pérez is hardly even getting to the podium. So Sainz, the seat is yours.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
593
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:09 pm
Red Bull can still win all championships with Pérez so long as the car is best, but here is the question: What happens when the car isn't superior? Verstappen has the balls to fight for wins, but meanwhile, Pérez is hardly even getting to the podium. So Sainz, the seat is yours.
Maybe without Max there, Red Bull would listen to Perez's wish list for car development i.e. reducing the "massively on the nose" thing they seem to have going on.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

User avatar
Jurgen von Diaz
0
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:38 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post


Just_a_fan wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:09 pm
Red Bull can still win all championships with Pérez so long as the car is best, but here is the question: What happens when the car isn't superior? Verstappen has the balls to fight for wins, but meanwhile, Pérez is hardly even getting to the podium. So Sainz, the seat is yours.
Maybe without Max there, Red Bull would listen to Perez's wish list for car development i.e. reducing the "massively on the nose" thing they seem to have going on.
Well, last season, when Pérez was struggling, he wanted the older version of the car, which was heavier. Naturally Red Bull couldn't do that and surely, we can say that this is not the right way for the team. They have Max, who can make the car dominant, teammates are saying, "How the hell?"

User avatar
deadhead
47
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:24 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Vanja #66 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:23 pm
Corriere dello Sport now reporting Sainz only has a real offer and a real shot at Audi, RB and Mercedes don't seem to be an option any more. What's more, they say he already accepted the offer this weekend and officially declined Alpine and Williams. Link is there only for source in Italian

https://www.formulapassion.it/f1/f1-new ... a-che-audi
Considering how highly regarded he is currently, I'm surprised that non of the top 4 teams want to give him a seat.

McLaren is understandable, they have a great duo.
Ferrari obviously prefers LEC/HAM over him.
Mercedes have an empty seat, still no go.
Red Bull have a subpar driver they can easily replace, still no go.
chrisc90 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:35 pm
I'll be disappointed if Perez gets the seat tbh. If the others get closer, it cant be Max vs 2 all season.
VER is pretty comfy with Perez in the other seat so why disturb the balance I guess..

AR3-GP
AR3-GP
343
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 am

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

deadhead wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:03 pm
Vanja #66 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:23 pm
Corriere dello Sport now reporting Sainz only has a real offer and a real shot at Audi, RB and Mercedes don't seem to be an option any more. What's more, they say he already accepted the offer this weekend and officially declined Alpine and Williams. Link is there only for source in Italian

https://www.formulapassion.it/f1/f1-new ... a-che-audi
Considering how highly regarded he is currently, I'm surprised that non of the top 4 teams want to give him a seat.

McLaren is understandable, they have a great duo.
Ferrari obviously prefers LEC/HAM over him.
Mercedes have an empty seat, still no go.
Red Bull have a subpar driver they can easily replace, still no go.
chrisc90 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:35 pm
I'll be disappointed if Perez gets the seat tbh. If the others get closer, it cant be Max vs 2 all season.
VER is pretty comfy with Perez in the other seat so why disturb the balance I guess..
Considering Sainz's gap to Leclerc when it's not raining, Sainz would hardly be sufficient against a Norris-Piastri duo to keep the WCC.

If RB wanted to keep the WCC, they essentially needed to take one of Norris or Piastri away from Mclaren (therefore weakening Mclaren).

User avatar
codetower
5
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

I still think Red Bull may end up promoting Yuki into that 2nd seat, and add someone like Lawson into the VCARB seat. As far as Sainz, it does look like Audi is his best (only?) option.

User avatar
Vanja #66
1466
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

deadhead wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:03 pm
Considering how highly regarded he is currently, I'm surprised that non of the top 4 teams want to give him a seat.
Approaching the end of this episode, I feel like I should be surprised, but I don't think I am... Ferrari and McLaren aside, AMR has Alonso and they are sure he is still as quick as ever. But more and more mistakes creep up as age shows itself, it is inevitable.

Red Bull was never a realistic shot if Max was staying. Horner wouldn't do something as stupid as antagonising Max with a driver that would be breathing down his neck more often than not.

However, I really did not expect Wolff to be so shortsighted to trully care only about either getting Max or catering to a not so impressive youngster (so far) in an effort to make a new Merc brand Champ in a few years. Seems like all Wolff cares about now is brand image and it wouldn't look so good to take the driver that Ferrari let go and replaced with Merc's decade-long star.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Gillian
Gillian
0
Joined: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:13 pm
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:09 pm
Red Bull can still win all championships with Pérez so long as the car is best, but here is the question: What happens when the car isn't superior? Verstappen has the balls to fight for wins, but meanwhile, Pérez is hardly even getting to the podium. So Sainz, the seat is yours.
Maybe without Max there, Red Bull would listen to Perez's wish list for car development i.e. reducing the "massively on the nose" thing they seem to have going on.
2022 already shows you that Perez is still slower than Verstappen in an understeering boat that Perez prefers.

Gillian
Gillian
0
Joined: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Vanja #66 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:32 pm
deadhead wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:03 pm
Considering how highly regarded he is currently, I'm surprised that non of the top 4 teams want to give him a seat.
Approaching the end of this episode, I feel like I should be surprised, but I don't think I am... Ferrari and McLaren aside, AMR has Alonso and they are sure he is still as quick as ever. But more and more mistakes creep up as age shows itself, it is inevitable.

Red Bull was never a realistic shot if Max was staying. Horner wouldn't do something as stupid as antagonising Max with a driver that would be breathing down his neck more often than not.

However, I really did not expect Wolff to be so shortsighted to trully care only about either getting Max or catering to a not so impressive youngster (so far) in an effort to make a new Merc brand Champ in a few years. Seems like all Wolff cares about now is brand image and it wouldn't look so good to take the driver that Ferrari let go and replaced with Merc's decade-long star.
Because having a driver possibly costing you the WCC is a better option than that?

User avatar
ringo
230
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Mercedes would take Sainz if he took a 1 year deal. But knowing Sainz he would want a multi year deal. And multi year doesnt work for Toto.
Toto wants to keep tempting Max as long as possible abd be prepared to even talk to a Norris or Piastri or Antonelli. Sainz kills all of those options if he gets more than a year.
I think Mercedes would take him but just not multi year.
Redbull will promote Yuki i feel. He is driving very well this year and scoring thr lion share of the points for VCARB.
For Sure!!

User avatar
Vanja #66
1466
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Gillian wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:40 pm
Because having a driver possibly costing you the WCC is a better option than that?
WCC is a mere consolation prize when you lose WDC
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

User avatar
FW17
169
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

ringo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 4:48 am
Mercedes would take Sainz if he took a 1 year deal. But knowing Sainz he would want a multi year deal. And multi year doesnt work for Toto.
Toto wants to keep tempting Max as long as possible abd be prepared to even talk to a Norris or Piastri or Antonelli. Sainz kills all of those options if he gets more than a year.
I think Mercedes would take him but just not multi year.
Redbull will promote Yuki i feel. He is driving very well this year and scoring thr lion share of the points for VCARB.
Sainz should take the one year contract with Merc if it is on the table. 2026 for George is not assured in any way or form.

Gillian
Gillian
0
Joined: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Vanja #66 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:23 am
Gillian wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:40 pm
Because having a driver possibly costing you the WCC is a better option than that?
WCC is a mere consolation prize when you lose WDC
So Sainz would be such an improvement over Perez that it could cost Verstappen the WDC?

User avatar
Vanja #66
1466
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Gillian wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:04 am
So Sainz would be such an improvement over Perez that it could cost Verstappen the WDC?
The right question is - why risk it?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

User avatar
Jurgen von Diaz
0
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:38 pm

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Post

Vanja #66 wrote:
Gillian wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:04 am
So Sainz would be such an improvement over Perez that it could cost Verstappen the WDC?
The right question is - why risk it?
What if Red Bull isn't superior next season, and Pérez is battling in the midfield while Max is battling for wins? Next season, Sainz won't be available anymoore.

Mercedes faced a similar situation in 2021. They had Russell available and took him. Where would Bottas have been in 2022? Certainly not ahead of Hamilton.