[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

It is so quiet around here.
You guys know that there is a race this weekend?

HermesMotorsport

First of all, nice evolution of an already strong concept from Panthera and nice renders as always!

Now, here is my car for the next race!
Lots of changes for this one:
  • Finally introducing new sidepods which should deliver better flow to the beam wing and help work the floor harder
  • A new radiator placed at a more shallow angle in order to accommodate the new sidepods
  • A new rear wing that produces more downforce and hopefully balances the CoP :)
  • A more loaded front wing with a different endplate winglet
  • Some changes to the front and rear wheel deflectors for better flow management
Good luck everyone and looking forward for the race! :D
PS: Decided to have some fun with blender this time

yinlad

HermesMotorsport wrote:
26 May 2024, 11:54
First of all, nice evolution of an already strong concept from Panthera and nice renders as always!

Now, here is my car for the next race!
Lots of changes for this one:
  • Finally introducing new sidepods which should deliver better flow to the beam wing and help work the floor harder
  • A new radiator placed at a more shallow angle in order to accommodate the new sidepods
  • A new rear wing that produces more downforce and hopefully balances the CoP :)
  • A more loaded front wing with a different endplate winglet
  • Some changes to the front and rear wheel deflectors for better flow management
Good luck everyone and looking forward for the race! :D
PS: Decided to have some fun with blender this time
Looking good, car is starting to take shape nicely!
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

Just like the competition, renders also went to another level on the past couple of years, great development and renders.

Here is my R02 entry:

I expect around 3.85 Cl/Cd and around R01 Variante level cl and G-Raph level cd according to my cfd runs.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

G-raph

Interesting development and lovely renders so far, that's great to see!

From my side, given the results of the first race I have played it safe and "simply" bolted on big Monaco wings, as you can see on the GIFs below :

I expect between -7.0 and -7.2 Cl, and given this is the track that suits my car best I would be disappointed not to win.

My biggest threat is of course Variante, but also the possibility that I have gone too aggressive with the front wing, which might move Cooling and CoP out of the optimum window. We'll see...

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by G-raph on 26 May 2024, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

yinlad

Ft5fTL wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:52
Just like the competition, renders also went to another level on the past couple of years, great development and renders.

Here is my R02 entry:

I expect around 3.85 Cl/Cd and around R01 Variante level cl and G-Raph level cd according to my cfd runs.
Solid numbers. With any luck I think I'm a touch ahead on CL but significantly higher CD, I really did pay little attention to it for Monaco and believe I'll top 1.80Cd 😂

My dirty downforce might pay off for this race but I think I have a lot to work on for the higher efficiency tracks coming up
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

yinlad wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:52
Solid numbers. With any luck I think I'm a touch ahead on CL but significantly higher CD, I really did pay little attention to it for Monaco and believe I'll top 1.80Cd 😂

My dirty downforce might pay off for this race but I think I have a lot to work on for the higher efficiency tracks coming up
Even though having all this cooling openings on the bodywork, cooling is marginal. I went a bit aggresive on cooling knowing that i have some headroom on the official results. So that could be the deciding factor.

And i thought i'm having a draggy car on this one :lol:
G-raph wrote:
26 May 2024, 21:53

I expect between -7.0 and -7.2 Cl
Wow =D>

yinlad

Ft5fTL wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:30
yinlad wrote:

Even though having all this cooling openings on the bodywork, cooling is marginal. I went a bit aggresive on cooling knowing that i have some headroom on the official results. So that could be the deciding factor.

I'm surprised the cooling is marginal given the size of your engine cover compared to mine and our otherwise similar sidepods

I'm expecting to be at about 1.45 either side on cooling.

This rear wing is well into 0.45 Cd territory, which I'm ok with for a Monaco one off, the worrying part is how much drag my rear wheels are imparting and how much of a struggle I find it to reduce that, everything else I'm pretty happy with for cd/cl.

I did manage to make some floor changes before submission, but was only seeing gains on the normal MVRC template. It was actually worse than my old floor on the fast template so that's got me a touch scared given my recent correlation woes. Fingers crossed I see similar or better numbers than on the MVRC run I did
MVRC - Panthera

Ft5fTL

yinlad wrote:
27 May 2024, 00:10
Ft5fTL wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:30
yinlad wrote:

I'm surprised the cooling is marginal given the size of your engine cover compared to mine and our otherwise similar sidepods

I'm expecting to be at about 1.45 either side on cooling.

This rear wing is well into 0.45 Cd territory, which I'm ok with for a Monaco one off, the worrying part is how much drag my rear wheels are imparting and how much of a struggle I find it to reduce that, everything else I'm pretty happy with for cd/cl.
Cooling went down alot after the changes i made to the sidepod design and with the new front wing, even with the bigger intake area and lots of cooling openings. It isnt elegant looking but the performance gains are there.

Im facing the same issues that you are describing on drag side of things. I have around 0.4 cd on the rw and around 0.3 on the rear wheel. My best guess is shape of the sidepod as the main culprit.

CAEdevice

I don't have much to show, the car for Monaco is just an evolution of the car that raced at Suzuka, without a specific setup. I would be happy with a 5th place.

variante

Monaco update:

The wings have been maxed out, or nearly so.
That had negative effects on cooling, which was already lacking, so of course I reduced the intakes size.
Other changes involved front suspensions, front wheels deflectors, bargeboards, cooling exhaust.

I think that G-Raph still has an edge on me, so I don't expect a victory here in Monaco.
But there's still a lot of little adjustments to explore, so the championship is very much open.
Good looking cars, everyone!

LVDH

Hi guys,
here are the cars:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-monaco-2024/

This time, I ran all the simulations on our sponsor's cloudHPC system. Everything was done Tuesday morning and the extracted results are now with Max.

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
29 May 2024, 17:51
Hi guys,
here are the cars:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... o_2024.gif
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-monaco-2024/

This time, I ran all the simulations on our sponsor's cloudHPC system. Everything was done Tuesday morning and the extracted results are now with Max.
Wow that's one heck of a turnaround!
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

yinlad wrote:
29 May 2024, 20:21
Yes, but as the CFD setup and post-processing are fully automated this was never really what took very long. Submitting everything in one go to CloudHPC is super nice though. That is why I was always dreaming about such a sponsor in our championship.
What takes very long though is setting up the new renders. This is now by far is the main block that uses my time. Scrutinnering takes at most maybe, two hours.
Posting all the images and everything to the Wordpress page then also takes super long. And as I see two teams with repeated rule violations in race 2, I now have to wonder if you even look at this.
So my next dream for MVRC is to have a Django Homepage instead of Wordpress. Then I could update the page automatically after each race. But getting this implemented would be a lot of work.

yinlad

LVDH wrote:
30 May 2024, 16:52
yinlad wrote:
29 May 2024, 20:21
Yes, but as the CFD setup and post-processing are fully automated this was never really what took very long. Submitting everything in one go to CloudHPC is super nice though. That is why I was always dreaming about such a sponsor in our championship.
What takes very long though is setting up the new renders. This is now by far is the main block that uses my time. Scrutinnering takes at most maybe, two hours.
Posting all the images and everything to the Wordpress page then also takes super long. And as I see two teams with repeated rule violations in race 2, I now have to wonder if you even look at this.
So my next dream for MVRC is to have a Django Homepage instead of Wordpress. Then I could update the page automatically after each race. But getting this implemented would be a lot of work.
Maybe I'll take a look at automating something with blender for rendering. I suspect it's possible with enough time buried in the API documents!
MVRC - Panthera