Martin Whitmarsh elected chairman of FOTA

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard

Martin Whitmarsh elected chairman of FOTA

"Breaking news" ticker on the BBC Sport website ...
BBC News wrote:McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh elected chairman of Formula One Teams Association
Last edited by Richard on 19 Jan 2010, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

sticky667

Re: Martin Whitmarsh elected chairman of FOTA

welcome to Dec. 09

DaveKillens

Although I am not privy to the politics going on within FOTA, what I interpret is interesting.

FOTA was formed as a result of a meeting in Maranello. And Monty assumed leadership. But now, Monty is out, Whitmarsh is in, and McLaren are starting to re-assert themselves politically. Ron Dennis was forced to the sidelines because of a certain scandal and the threat of further sanctions by Max against his personal enemy. But now, Max is gone (at least, for the moment), and I sense that Ron Dennis and McLaren are ramping up to become more involved in the interesting but sordid politics of Formula One.

I wonder why Monty did not win a renewed chairmanship, I wonder what the other team principles saw in Monty that made them reverse their previous support for him.

I wonder if there is strong animosity between Todt and Monty, and FOTA realize that their chances of succesful dialogue with the head of the FIA is much improved with Monty not representing FOTA.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

mx_tifoso

DaveKillens wrote:I wonder why Monty did not win a renewed chairmanship, I wonder what the other team principles saw in Monty that made them reverse their previous support for him.

I wonder if there is strong animosity between Todt and Monty, and FOTA realize that their chances of succesful dialogue with the head of the FIA is much improved with Monty not representing FOTA.
Di Montezemolo personally decided a few months ago that he would not continue as FOTA chairman. It wasn't a decision by the other members to replace him, rather it was a normal circumstance where the previous chairman was stepping down therefore a new member had to be elected.

:arrow: F1T - Di Montezemolo to step down as FOTA President

Hardly the scandalous situation that some people may perceive it as.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

DaveKillens

With all due respect, Monty is hardly a reliable source of truth. Just because he stated he was stepping down, that does not remove the theory that he and Todt would not be on good terms.

Todt was elected FIA president on 23 Oct, 2009. Monty made that statement on 17 Nov, 2009.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Richard

News release now on FOTA website:
FOTA wrote:The Executive Committee of the Formula One Teams Association elected Martin Whitmarsh as its new Chairman for the year 2010.

Stefano Domenicali will be the Vice Chairman. Completing the team which will lead FOTA in 2010, Christian Horner takes the role of Chairman of the Sporting Regulations Working Group while Ross Brawn will maintain his role of Chairman of the Technical Regulations Working Group.

http://www.teamsassociation.org/press-r ... a-chairman

Richard

I'd say it is normal succession.

Max handed over to Jean
Ron has handed over to Martin
Monty handed over to Stefano

Out with the old, in with the new.

Bernie's now the odd one out.

donskar

[quote="richard_leeds"]I'd say it is normal succession.

Max handed over to Jean
Ron has handed over to Martin
Monty handed over to Stefano

Out with the old, in with the new.

Bernie's now the odd one out.[/quote]

Ever odd, but never out.

Given that Machiavelli was Italian, I tend to agree with Dave K: Luca C deM might have pushed Todt out of Ferrari and created a bit of ill will there. Certainly Luca is not one to self-limit his power and titles. I like him, but modest he ain't! And handing off to Domenicali? Provides him with a soft landing place if the 2010 Ferrari is not a success.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ISLAMATRON

So it has nothing to do with the FOTA chief position being on a rotational basis?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20613.html

http://www.teamsassociation.org/fota-st ... ing-bodies
1.Chairman and Vice Chairman
The Chairman (or in his absence the Vice Chairman) presides the Executive Committee and the Members General Meeting. He is responsible for implementing their decisions and for supervising the work of the Secretary General.

Chairman and Vice Chairman bind FOTA with their joint signature.

Chairman and Vice Chairman are appointed for one year

So when even the FOTA website says that the chairman sits for 1 year Luca says he is stepping down? As if he had a choice in it?

The man Lies so much he does it even when it is not needed or helpful to him.

mx_tifoso

Thanks for info Islamatron, it's good to know the facts behind all of this.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Richard

ISLAMATRON wrote:So it has nothing to do with the FOTA chief position being on a rotational basis?

So when even the FOTA website says that the chairman sits for 1 year Luca says he is stepping down? As if he had a choice in it?

The man Lies so much he does it even when it is not needed or helpful to him.
Nothing in that says they rotate, only that a term is for one year. Presumably they can be re-elected?

Also, saying you're stepping down at the end of your term is not lying, it is the truth. He stepped down. What's your problem with that?

ISLAMATRON

There were press state,ent when FOTA was just formed saying it was on a rotational basis, I remember them, just cant find them.

He was clearly lying, he said he was stepping down, not seeking re-election and focusing on Ferrari and a whole load of other crap when the reality was that his term was up and it is on a rotation, so he could not be re-elected.

What interests me was that Ferrari had the Chairman last year and yet still gets the vice chair this year, why the other teams allow this BS is unintelligiable to me.

also...
Chairman and Vice Chairman bind FOTA with their joint signature.
It seeemed like Luca and Howwett were the main trouble makers last year, I wonder if they truly had a majority of the teams behind them or just that since they were in the 2 main seats held the most power.