Alonso: I've never asked to be number one

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nipo

Re: Alonso: I've never asked to be number one

ringo wrote:Well Alonso says he needs about 3 races for the "true" Alonso to kick in.
Within that time he will be getting along ok with Massa, using it to gauge his teammate.
Exactly. He said all the nice things about Hamilton, too, when he first got to McLaren. To be fair to Alonso, though, he did have to wait in the pits while Hamilton is fueling up, etc., more than once if I remember right. There's a good reason he's feeling like #2. And as a matter of fact, I like Hamilton no more than Alonso.

There's no need to "follow my logic", Tazio. You have fair observations and I have mine. I just don't feel good about the guy and especially the way he enters Ferrari, and history tells me that Alonso adopts a style which is less teamwork and more individualistic so I tend to interpret his lines that way. I am not saying he will not produce results (although I don't think he is THAT far from the rest of the good drivers). Rather, it remains to be seen about his cooperation with Ferrari and most importantly his relationship with Felipe, which will affect the performance of the whole team as we've seen with McLaren in 2007. Personally, I don't have high hopes, but I could be wrong (and I'd rather be).

raceman

8)

gives meaning to the title of this thread.....

from James Allen's blog:

Back in 2002, when Juan Pablo Montoya was the exciting new guy challenging Schumacher in races, I remember asking Michael privately who he thought his greatest threat was going to come from. He said it was not Montoya, nor was it Kimi Raikkonen. Instead it was Alonso, who at that time was a Renault test driver. He’d seen enough of him from testing and in his 2001 F1 season with Minardi to know that Alonso would be the one to take his crown, just as Ayrton Senna immediately identified Schumacher in 1992 as the one.

Mr Alcatraz

nipo wrote:
ringo wrote:Well Alonso says he needs about 3 races for the "true" Alonso to kick in.
Within that time he will be getting along ok with Massa, using it to gauge his teammate.
Exactly. He said all the nice things about Hamilton, too, when he first got to McLaren. To be fair to Alonso, though, he did have to wait in the pits while Hamilton is fueling up, etc., more than once if I remember right. There's a good reason he's feeling like #2. And as a matter of fact, I like Hamilton no more than Alonso.

There's no need to "follow my logic", Tazio. You have fair observations and I have mine. I just don't feel good about the guy and especially the way he enters Ferrari, and history tells me that Alonso adopts a style which is less teamwork and more individualistic so I tend to interpret his lines that way. I am not saying he will not produce results (although I don't think he is THAT far from the rest of the good drivers). Rather, it remains to be seen about his cooperation with Ferrari and most importantly his relationship with Felipe, which will affect the performance of the whole team as we've seen with McLaren in 2007. Personally, I don't have high hopes, but I could be wrong (and I'd rather be).
The only observation I was making is that what was quoted in the the article was not provoative on Freds behalf.
I thought that is what this thread is about.
I then contrasted it with a comment that I thought was provocative!
I don't think there is a red pubic hair between him and Lewis in terms of talent.
But I could be wrong!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Fil

Tazio wrote:I don't think there is a red pubic hair between him and Lewis in terms of talent.
But I could be wrong!
Yeh, you're right.. it's actually black.

Alonso may have never asked to be #1, but his actions have often demanded nothing less. This can't be held against him, every driver acts like this, just some are pushier (and more successful for it).

Sporting champions around the world & throughout time are self-centered, arrogant pricks. It is just the mentality necessary for success.

The exceptions are few & far between, nice guys don't win.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Mr Alcatraz

!

Fil wrote:
Sporting champions around the world & throughout time are self-centered, arrogant pricks. It is just the mentality necessary for success.

The exceptions are few & far between, nice guys don't win.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! =D>
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

donskar

Hiring Alonso is like having my daughter's dog for a pet -- half pit bull, half bull mastiff. You can feel very confident with a friend like that by your side -- if it doesn't turn on you!

Ferrari and Tifosi must hope that Alonso realizes there aren't many more teams/opportunities for him.

One thing I am certain of (IMHO): he's an excellent driver, with a great deal of determination to go with his speed. Will there be friction between the two drivers? That was always the classic Ferrari way . .
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mx_tifoso

donskar wrote:Will there be friction between the two drivers? That was always the classic Ferrari way . .
Especially when Mr. Ferrari was around.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Richard

OK, so maybe he never asked to be number 1. He's just like schumy and liked the look of odd numbers? Its a matter of aesthetics, not arrogance. :roll:

Moanlower

What I don't understand is that all the know it all's in here are blaming Alonso for being upset and speak up his mind when he found out that the team favoured a rookie (no matter how talented) over a 2 times WDC. That's something totally different than demanding to be nr.1.

Lewis didn't respect him or the rest of the field which he called the monkeys in the back. He even didn't respect the team's strategy during quali or races. But ones FA had enough of it he suddenly was such a crybaby and what not, because all he had to do was taking it as it it, right ? sigh ...
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

ISLAMATRON

Yes, favored a rookie by paying him 40 Million less dollars

Rob W

ISLAMATRON wrote:Yes, favored a rookie by paying him 40 Million less dollars
That's not exactly a fair comparison. Alonso was double WDC. Hamilton was a talented rookie with either the option of driving for cheap or not driving at all. He probably got more than he was actually worth on face value... it was his sponsorship and PR potential for the team that got him the pay he did.

All teams work like that. Even Ralph managed to convince some clueless people for a few years that he was a real talent like his brother.

ISLAMATRON

McLaren paid for a 2xWDC and would not have favored a rookie over someone they made such a huge monetary investment in(120 Mil over 3 years)... thats my only point... i'm not trying to go into the Alonso vs Hamilton thing again.