Force India VJM03 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
axle

Re: Force India-Mercedes VJM/03 (Pre Realease Thread)

Scarbs is tweeting about an extreme diffuser setup - I assume it's again McLaren esq but I've not seen a picture yet.

Edit - doh too slow.
- Axle

horse

Something odd under the nose between the front wheels. Is that part of the splitter?

EDIT:
scarbs wrote: the car retains the front wing and small bargeboards fitted to a “T” piece, both seen on the 09 car.
I obviously didn't look hard enough at this car last year...
Last edited by horse on 09 Feb 2010, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

ESPImperium

Very nice car. This evolution will be as good as last years end for them, and also provide a strong building point for them for 2010.

I notice they have gone with a Williams style air intake behind the air box to get air to the gearbox radiator and aid cooling a little as well.

The front wing looks to have built on last years one with even more downforce and thus helping them on the slower tracks as well.

Also have some nicey waisted sidepods, and bardge-boards under the drivers legs and before the sidepods, optomising the DDD more and giving the rear some more downforce.

If they solve the downforce issue of the VJM/02 and get a good ammount of downforce, they will be knocking on the top 10 more and more.

Sutil needs a solid season without some of his more eratic moments, good thing for him is there is no Raikkonen to get tangled up with this year. Liuzzi needs to start flying this year, he got a start at the end of last year with Fisi going to Ferarri, so this will proivide him a solid base. BUT... Bith guys have Di Resta breathing down their necks if they fail to get going good before the end of the season and they want to give Di Resta a go. And from what Martin Whitmarsh said, Di Resta could be getting a go in FP1 at most GP weekends to get arround the testing ban and make sure that he is getting a run in the car. A thing that quite a few medium sized teams could be doing this year, id expect that STR-Ferarri will do this with Hartlet and Ricarro this year.

meves

A better view of the rear side view;

Steep curve of the body for the exhaust which vents directly across the rear suspension.

Body vent on the engine cover which is a lot further forward than the Mclaren

Removable join to the rear wing???

robbertmd

Maybe these pictures can help:

Last edited by robbertmd on 09 Feb 2010, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

raceman

robbertmd wrote:Image

:shock:

simplest diffuser of them all?? :wtf:

myurr

raceman wrote: :shock:

simplest diffuser of them all?? :wtf:
Look above the first deck and there is a second deck that goes around the rear crash structure.

meves

According to Scarbs blog (and as myurr said), the diffuser is tall and steep and I can't do anything the make it clearer!

"This creates a narrow, but very tall, steep diffuser. Which is a valid alternative way to gain a higher expansion of the airflow, just as making the diffuser longer or wider. In achieving this layout, the lower beam wing is now split in two with its centre missing. The gap spans the exit of the upper deck of the diffuser, a small endplate on the inner tip of the beam wing probably creates a vortex to help draw more flow through the upper deck."

delsando

Hard to tell, but i think they lowered the chassis/nose considerably for better CoG/ weight distribution.

I like how they copied Ferrari, outboard mirrors, Brawn front wing....
"The danger sensation is exciting, the challenge is to find new dangers." Ayrton Senna

imightbewrong

delsando wrote:Image

Hard to tell, but i think they lowered the chassis/nose considerably for better CoG/ weight distribution.

Wow, those pics are horribly out of proportion. I really dig that f1fantaic do lots of comparisons, but would prefer if they spent a bit more time getting them right..

meves

Try this, it's closer but not perfect!

If anyone else fancies doing it then the vjm02 is here Image

Confused_Andy

delsando wrote:Image

They've hardly copied Ferrari and that wing was their own from last year not at all simelar to the brawns.

Diggin the new car though, shame the sidepods are different I thought the 2009 sidepods were the best looking ones on the grid.

Pedro

Well, something is also here on F1news.cz:
http://f1news.cz/technika/34018-dalsi-n ... alizovano/

Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz

Giblet

Looks like they are sticking with the zero keel, but I can't tell for sure from these pics sitting up high above the nose at the front like that.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pedro

Yeap, they have sticked with the zero keel.
Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz