Force India VJM03 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raceman

Re: Force India VJM03 Mercedes

mx_tifosi wrote:I don't think they get actual parts, much less such an important development like the unicorn thing for the rear wing.

I can't find the evidence now to show, but I know technical partnership includes providing transmission and technical knowledge with new technical parts!

Force India will "eventually" get the innovations as per the technical partnership with mclaren, but surely late enough to not gain any advantage over the parent company :wink:

thestig84

raceman wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:I don't think they get actual parts, much less such an important development like the unicorn thing for the rear wing.

I can't find the evidence now to show, but I know technical partnership includes providing transmission and technical knowledge with new technical parts!

Force India will "eventually" get the innovations as per the technical partnership with mclaren, but surely late enough to not gain any advantage over the parent company :wink:
Your right it includes the transmission.....infact pretty much the rear end. Thats about it though. The technical assistance is all based around helping them correctly run the systems they supply, they also helped out with strategy. They do not supply any more let alone parts! My source at the MTC had to go into the sim and set up the link to Force India HQ as Mclaren are very very careful not to give away any data.

Also look at 2009 for evidence, the Force India was a better car out the box and for 1st half of the year. They wouldnt have wanted Mclaren parts!!

meves

Does anyone know what the lollypop stick is for, that is to the left of the drivers head protection?

forty-two

meves wrote:Does anyone know what the lollypop stick is for, that is to the left of the drivers head protection?

I don't know.

But I imagine it might be there for symmetry. Take a look at the spot on the opposite side of the car and you'll see an antenna (telemetry, pit-to-car radio perhaps?).

I suspect that the "lollypop stick" you mention might be there to ensure that both sides of the car have equal aero effect.

As always, I am very happy to be shown to be wrong by some of the aero experts on here!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

multisync

thestig84 wrote:
raceman wrote:

Also look at 2009 for evidence, the Force India was a better car out the box and for 1st half of the year. They wouldnt have wanted Mclaren parts!!

And my sources tell me that Maclarens turnaround mid season was a direct result of Mac's taking a FI rear diffuser and bolting it on to their car

raymondu999

Macca, stealing from FI? Wow.Lol
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

thestig84

multisync wrote:

And my sources tell me that Maclarens turnaround mid season was a direct result of Mac's taking a FI rear diffuser and bolting it on to their car
How on earth can you explain the FI and Mclaren diffusers looking absolutely nothing alike during the whole season!!

Also its Mclaren not Maclaren

zgred

Bahrain GP

Australian GP

Pierce89

thestig84 wrote:
multisync wrote:

How on earth can you explain the FI and Mclaren diffusers looking absolutely nothing alike during the whole season!!

I don't believe the diffusor thing, but looking different does not disprove it. Mclaren could copy just the concept of DDD and where and how it picked up the extra air.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

multisync

zgred wrote:Image

Bahrain GP

Australian GP
Have you got the fron end pics for both too ?

multisync

Pierce89 wrote:
thestig84 wrote:
multisync wrote:

I don't believe the diffusor thing, but looking different does not disprove it. Mclaren could copy just the concept of DDD and where and how it picked up the extra air.
Thanks for that. The Diffuser spec changed many times during the season. But heyho It's obviously up to everybody to make their own judgement. However I do think it's kinda insulting to those at Silverstone and Brackley to think that the technical knowledge is all one way. Or do we all here think small teams are just not capable of good design??

rahulsampath

zgred wrote:Image

Bahrain GP

Australian GP
I read that force India was one of the teams along with mclaren,mercedes and renault being asked to modify their diffuser design which exploited a larger starter hole thereby achieving another diffuser level.But here both diffuser seems same.

zgred

multisync wrote: Have you got the fron end pics for both too ?

Bahrain GP

Australian GP

Modified front wing pillars.

wesley123

nose seems different too, the tip seems skinnier
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

thestig84

multisync wrote: Thanks for that. The Diffuser spec changed many times during the season. But heyho It's obviously up to everybody to make their own judgement. However I do think it's kinda insulting to those at Silverstone and Brackley to think that the technical knowledge is all one way. Or do we all here think small teams are just not capable of good design??
The technical knowledge is one way. Thats how the deal is set up. Force India are clearly very very capable of good design with out any help from Mclaren. I think they do get well deserved credit for this.

What Mclaren do give them is the mechanical rear end and any assistance required with installing and running. They also rent the sim out and last year helped with strategy. This all means Force India can fully focus their resources on aero development which they are clearly good at and dont particularly need Mclarens help. VJM quickly worked out buying a reliable gearbox and is far better than all the effort trying to make their own.