European GP 2010 - Valencia

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
timbo

Re: European GP 2010 - Valencia

ISLAMATRON wrote:or does he mean lateral deformation? they werent flexing sideways only sliding?
I think that's the case.
That would probably mean that only the contact patch was heating up, and the walls were not.

ringo

It could be deformation of the rubber on a microscopic level; ie the rubber grains in contact with the rough ground.
A rougher surface would prevent graining of the rubber because the rubbered would be sheared off the tyre evenly as opposed to lumping and graining.
Thus, i guess there are 2 situations tyre life will be reduced. Either by a too smooth a track causing graining because of lack of heat and uneven shearing of rubber grains, then conversely too rough a track, which only accelerates the degradation of the tyre to the point it can no longer perform at the required level.
Valencia may fall in the second category.
For Sure!!

WhiteBlue

I rather think that it describes a balance between slip and stick. In a perfect stick situation all accelerating forces (lateral/speedup/break) will lead to stretch in the rubber construction. The heat will be generated in all rubber layers that are streched.

If there is a certain amount of slip due to very smooth asphalt some heat is generated in the contact layer and the tyres get cooked due to local over heating. You do get that in an extreme way when you do burn outs. The contact layer gets incredibly hot. In a Montreal kind of situation you will not have almost total slip like in burn outs but almost total stick. It still has an impact on heat spots.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

marcush.

I think it might be just the words usage
smooth in a sense of a painted floor covering it does simply not provide grip ,and the lack of grip does not work the tire carcass and so you are basically stuck a bit with what you can do to work the tyre.

Everyone knows that a lot of indoor karting tracks have very smooth but non grip providing surfaces ,you can only improve time by driving very long just because the tyre won´t be worked enough ..so over time your speed increases.

Ihad the same phenomenon on the then new Lausitzring ...it was just soo smooth it was almost like running on ice no grip at all with the tyre compounds we ran .even driving always in slide did not help ,you just had to feel the limit and adapt to the tyre working better over a stint.

raymondu999

Seems like pole position will be between the McLarens and the Bulls, doesn't it? I think probably Alonso will pull something out with the psychological boost of a home race as well as their promised "major upgrade." Bobby K and Felipinho are always good at street circuits, so I wouldn't quite count them out yet.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Donuts

Robert Kubica - It would be good to beat everybody, not just Mercedes!

I wish the whole Renault F1 team has the same attitude and not just being satisfied with beating Mercedes GP!

Good luck!
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

mx_tifoso

Just because Kubica was the one to say it in a press release you think that the rest of them team doesn't think along the same lines? Do you think that the mechanics and rest of the team get to share their thoughts like the drivers and top management? Take a look at reality and take Kubica off of that pedestal.

And you should really reconsider a username change, using other peoples real names is in rather bad taste. IMO.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Donuts

mx_tifosi wrote:Just because Kubica was the one to say it in a press release you think that the rest of them team doesn't think along the same lines? Do you think that the mechanics and rest of the team get to share their thoughts like the drivers and top management? Take a look at reality and take Kubica off of that pedestal.

And you should really reconsider a username change, using other peoples real names is in rather bad taste. IMO.
Ehh? Maybe I used the wrong word, hope might be better. But really, who do you think you are talking to? A kid? You are stating the obvious! Maybe you don't have anything better to do IRL? Bad taste? I don't know what to say, can't take people like you serious! Trying to tell others "how it is", please refer from making those kinds of comments on my threads!
The mind of Alain Prost.

mkw0101

Ferrari on the podium at Valencia?

Recently after montreal GP, Fernando Alonso said that Ferrari will be on the podium at Valencia.

Will this ever happen or will ferrari fail like Massa did in Montreal.

Words are cheap but if alonso thinks they will be on top, maybe he is correct.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Massas race was ruined in the first corner when he got squeezed. The he got stuck beind Schumacher whos tyres were not lasting. Ferrari were easily the second team in Montreal.

mx_tifoso

Robert_Kubica wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:Just because Kubica was the one to say it in a press release you think that the rest of them team doesn't think along the same lines? Do you think that the mechanics and rest of the team get to share their thoughts like the drivers and top management? Take a look at reality and take Kubica off of that pedestal.

Ehh? Maybe I used the wrong word, hope might be better. But really, who do you think you are talking to? A kid? You are stating the obvious! Maybe you don't have anything better to do IRL? Bad taste? I don't know what to say, can't take people like you serious! Trying to tell others "how it is", please refer from making those kinds of comments on my threads!
Look, it seemed like you were suggesting that only Kubica wanted to beat everyone and not just Mercedes. From that I gathered that you thought that the rest of the team was content on just beating Mercedes. And by your thread you must mean post. :wink:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Donuts

mx_tifosi wrote:
Robert_Kubica wrote:

Look, it seemed like you were suggesting that only Kubica wanted to beat everyone and not just Mercedes. From that I gathered that you thought that the rest of the team was content on just beating Mercedes. And by your thread you must mean post. :wink:
Well, if somebody writes something that annoys me, I just ingnore it. If I'm not allready into a discussion or I try to maybe answer it a bit differently than you did. Consider not everyone having english as there mothertounge. I might use some "funny" or "wrong" words from time to time. I did'nt se any harm in using the name "Robert_Kubica", I think he's a great driver, but I'm not "putting him on a pedistal". I actually tried to change the name some time ago, but it's not possible? Last but not least, RF1 does seem to have a totally different approach in 2010 than BMW-Sauber F1 had 2008, but who know's? There are rumours that Mercedes GP have given up this season.
The mind of Alain Prost.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mercedes GP have given up?

Really? [-X
More could have been done.
David Purley

Donuts

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Mercedes GP have given up?

Really? [-X
I thought that you would give up after Canada? RK on primes beating both NR on options & MS on primes in qualifying!!! :D

Q2 in Montreal, fourth best time for RK on options, we are now in buisness at "half time" in the championship.
The mind of Alain Prost.

Richard

Interesting thread. We get a in-depth discussion of the tyre temperature at Montreal; how the red and silver teams did or didn't perform at Montreal; and a nice spat of fan-boi wing wang about a favourite driver.

So, anyone up for talking abut Valencia, or is that just too conformist? :?
Last edited by Richard on 22 Jun 2010, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.