Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ell66

Re: Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

Jenson Button: It was an extremely long and tough race, but I was pleased with my overall performance. I think I got the maximum from the car, and while it would have been nicer to have finished ahead of Mark, Sunday's points still definitely keep me in touch

is he kidding? lewis did him by nearly half a second in qually, and pulled away from him easily during the race.
I allways thogh lewis was fast before this season, but iv been very disapointed in jensons speed all year. maximum out of the car? yeak ok jens you keep saying that :lol:

Mysticf1

/rant

Webber's only mistake was not jumping out of the way of the almighty god overtaker Hamilton, seriously what was he thinking, seems ur not allowed to RACE anymore. Kinda funny that Hamilton and his epic abilities have failed him two races in a row severely hurting his WDC chances. Seriously people get a grip, Webber could have avoided the contact and so could Hamilton, its a RACING incident where two drivers were fighting for position...bring it on i say the more fighting for position the better.

/end rant

I thought the fight between Vettel and Alonso out front was an awesome display, Webber was able to make his teams strategy call work for him again, overtaking the cars he needed to and using the tyres effectively on an extremely long stint...sure im a fan of Marks but i find it annoying that no one credits him when he does things right, hes had some awesome drives this year. Kubica is a master and i really look forward to him driving a competitive car in the future. Those were my race highlights not a nothing incident between to red blooded RACE DRIVERS.

hollus

Well, the WDC standings seem to give some credit to Webber.
Rivals, not enemies.

raymondu999

ell66 wrote:Jenson Button: It was an extremely long and tough race, but I was pleased with my overall performance. I think I got the maximum from the car, and while it would have been nicer to have finished ahead of Mark, Sunday's points still definitely keep me in touch

is he kidding? lewis did him by nearly half a second in qually, and pulled away from him easily during the race.
I allways thogh lewis was fast before this season, but iv been very disapointed in jensons speed all year. maximum out of the car? yeak ok jens you keep saying that :lol:
Lewis did him by .373. That's not even 75% of half a second. :roll: Sorry for being pedantic here, but this is a sport where in Hockenheim we saw pole being taken by 0.002, and Jerez 1997 (I think?) where we saw 3 people setting identical times to the nearest thousandth. And you just slowed down Jenson by .127

Funny that the momentum seems to come in pairs. Button won 2 of the early flyaways, Then Lewis struck in the middle with Turkey/Canada back to back, Alonso now has 2 races in a row, and Webber clearly had momentum back in Turkey/Monaco.

[wishful thinking]Statistics-wise, the law of averages would indicate that Seb is next :mrgreen: [/end wishful thinking]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ell66

raymondu999 wrote:
ell66 wrote:Jenson Button: It was an extremely long and tough race, but I was pleased with my overall performance. I think I got the maximum from the car, and while it would have been nicer to have finished ahead of Mark, Sunday's points still definitely keep me in touch

Lewis did him by .373. That's not even 75% of half a second. :roll: Sorry for being pedantic here, but this is a sport where in Hockenheim we saw pole being taken by 0.002, and Jerez 1997 (I think?) where we saw 3 people setting identical times to the nearest thousandth. And you just slowed down Jenson by .127

Funny that the momentum seems to come in pairs. Button won 2 of the early flyaways, Then Lewis struck in the middle with Turkey/Canada back to back, Alonso now has 2 races in a row, and Webber clearly had momentum back in Turkey/Monaco.

[wishful thinking]Statistics-wise, the law of averages would indicate that Seb is next :mrgreen: [/end wishful thinking]
3/4 tenths us a very big difference at this level, you should know this. Im merley calling out jensons bullshit comment of getting all the performance out of the car when he clearly hasnt.

lebesset

well , I read what people say here and am amazed

let me present a scenario.....suppose hamilton was trying to overtake webber up the inside and then ran into him putting him out of the race...should hamilton get a penalty for causing an avoidable accident ? clearly in my view

what happened at singapore was just like that , hamilton was going faster , was at least half a car ahead , and webber tried to overtake him on the inside ; why no penalty ...webber was clearly behind going into the corner ...was he not ? the only alternative to trying to overtake hamilton off was tying to punt him off ...is that what people think ? webber had ample time to brake earlier once hamilton was ahead ...look at the replay

personally I am happy webber didn't get a penalty as I would like to see him win the WDC , last year was the first time he ever had a small chance despite the early season advantage of the brawn , this year a good chance ; but that doesn't alter the fact that he shouldn't have got away with this imho
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Belatti

A couple of other pics from Webos wheels

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

aral

lebesset wrote:well , I read what people say here and am amazed

let me present a scenario.....suppose hamilton was trying to overtake webber up the inside and then ran into him putting him out of the race...should hamilton get a penalty for causing an avoidable accident ? clearly in my view

what happened at singapore was just like that , hamilton was going faster , was at least half a car ahead , and webber tried to overtake him on the inside ; why no penalty ...webber was clearly behind going into the corner ...was he not ? the only alternative to trying to overtake hamilton off was tying to punt him off ...is that what people think ? webber had ample time to brake earlier once hamilton was ahead ...look at the replay

personally I am happy webber didn't get a penalty as I would like to see him win the WDC , last year was the first time he ever had a small chance despite the early season advantage of the brawn , this year a good chance ; but that doesn't alter the fact that he shouldn't have got away with this imho
Can you show me a photo of Hamilton "clearly ahead" of Webber? Posters keep claiming that, but so far I have seen NO proof. But apart from that, most overtakes are made on the inside, going into corners, sometimes drivers leave space and at others they don't. Remember when Alonso went up the inside, was left with no space, and was penalised?

ringo

ell66 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:

3/4 tenths us a very big difference at this level, you should know this. Im merley calling out jensons bullshit comment of getting all the performance out of the car when he clearly hasnt.
Button got slaughtered. :lol: This "his race pace is better than his qualy pace"
myth is busted. Drivers have 1 true pace, the gap in qualifying is the real gap in the race if both drivers are putting in the same effort.
Heiki's and Truli's problem is that they usually set up the car to work in a narrow window for qualifying. The car is not as compliant in the race and they find it difficult to drive and have to lower their pace to reduce risk.
But clearly if the car is consistent in qualy and race a drivers pace will be the same.
Button has always been between 2 and 5 tenths slower depending on the track. However he is fair in saying that he got the maximum from the car.
The way how Hamilton and kobayshi drive is not sustainable, the car is meant to be driven comfortably with the least amount of risk. This is why redbull and ferrari made things look very easy on the track, as we've seen from Webber mentioning how Kobayashi was jumping curbs and skimming walls.
No driver can get 100%, but i think there is a percentage at which it is driven with the right balance of safety, surefootedness and speed.
Lets say this percentage is 85% of total performance. Button could be driving at this point; tail not sliding around, wheels not on the locking limit, no counter steering against turn apices. This way you can guarantee you wont lose the car.
Hamilton on the other hand is probably driving it at 95%. The car is less stable and on the borderline of losing control. We saw how Kobayashi hit the barriers, and How hard Glock was pushing in the virgin.
So yes Button got his ass whooped, but he at least shows how much slower the mclaren really is.

This reminds me of the MIG-25 fox bat.
The MiG-25's speed gauge was redlined at Mach 2.8, and pilots were instructed not to top Mach 2.5 in order to preserve the engines. Achieving the MiG-25's maximum potential speed of Mach 3.2 would result in the destruction of the engines.
Hamilton is flying the Mig... :lol: uhh Mp4 25 at mach 3, button is rightfully cruising at mach 2.8
For Sure!!

Sean H

So the Macca is a junk box Mig? Seems about right.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

Terrible3

Re: Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay

To be honest I think JB pairing with LH in my eyes has made me appreciate his driving more. For me LH is a measuring stick of driver performance, as is Alonso. Last year JB made it look easy early on dominating, for the most part, the early races of the season. He then struggled to make it back onto the top step of the podium for the rest of the season once the other teams had for the most part equal machinery. To me this lowers the value of him as it seems he was only shining due to the car. This year despite not being as statistically as good, I value him higher. Sure he is slower than LH but it seems to be in the ballpark, and even if he is just a bit off that still means that he is bloody quick. Additionally he has made two excellent calls when it comes to pit strategy, perhaps blind luck but still critical. Sure he wont drive like a bat out of hell but at least he is bringing the car home most of the time. Points are points at the end of the day and JB keeps picking them up.

FW17

Poleman wrote: Image
gilgen wrote:
lebesset wrote:well , I read what people say here and am amazed

Can you show me a photo of Hamilton "clearly ahead" of Webber? Posters keep claiming that, but so far I have seen NO proof. But apart from that, most overtakes are made on the inside, going into corners, sometimes drivers leave space and at others they don't. Remember when Alonso went up the inside, was left with no space, and was penalised?
Image shows Hamilton ahead, it also shows the line that Webber took into the corner is non-existant.

mbvinnie

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Poleman wrote: Image

Image shows Hamilton ahead, it also shows the line that Webber took into the corner is non-existant.
I don't agree that this photo shows Hamilton to be ahead.
A). The angle is awful to make a proper comparison
B). The red line drawn is not properly square to the track (it is even further forward of perpendicular to Hamilton's car which is clearly NOT square to the track).
C). There is still overlap in the photo even with the red line.

At best Hamilton's rear wheel is equal to Webber's Front. At best. But still hard to confirm from that shot...

Poleman

Interesting is this angle too just before braking...Take the airbox out of the visual and we all see that Webbo has almost full view of the McLaren car...All i wanna say is that this was an avoidable contact...Racing incident decided so....

EDIT:I dont know why am i still posting on this subject :roll: ...Carried away i guess,oh well...move on! :mrgreen:

Richard

Button v Hamilton.

That's a funny one. Hamilton may be faster on the stop watch, but I recall Jensen got the finish line first, isn't that what counts?