Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mercedes GP W02

With Mercedes having the longest lead time on developing its 2011 challenger, I expect there to be some interesting interpretations from them.
Ross Brawn has hinted at some "exciting" things, but this could is probably alot of hot air.

With the W01 being a conservative approach, I expect the Mercedes W02 to be more aggressive.
My overiding concern is do they evolve the W01 or do a clean sheet for 2011.
The Pirelli tyres will no doubt have a huge influence on design, but then all teams are pegged back by the mandatory weight distribution.
Revolution or Evolution at Mercedes?

Another bonus for the team is the return of KERS. Mercedes Zytek units were generally regarded as the best units in 2009, and apparently they have shed more weight from the 2009 units.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Morteza

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W02

Well, without doubt McLaren had the best KERS of 2009 and that's a good sign for Mercedes. I'm wondering if the team have got a capable design team to deliver a strong challenger for 2011 or not. All we know that with W01 which was something of a compromise they had the forth best car. I'm longing to see how W02 will be in terms of performance.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NewtonMeter

I do have a gut feel about the W02 and 2011. I just don't doubt Ross Brawn. Last year was the --- in his career (although, admittedly, not really by his own doing).

After the restructuring of the team this year I think they'll push forward very well.

I've noticed that teams that end with a lot of momentum start with a lot of momentum the following year. And I think MercGP were showing a very positive trend. In fact, given 5 more races, I'd have put some money on them challenging for the win in one of them (although not necessarily winning that challenge).

With the help of daimler, new engineers, a kickass engine and kers package, Ross Brawn and Schumacher finally coming on song, I can see only positive things ahead.

(PS, how long you reckon until Segedunum arrives...)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

gibells

Question is whether they're be able to glean information learnt by McLaren after choosing to ignore the unit in 2009. Kers + Big fuel tanks is going to be a packaging nightmare. Is there any credit in modifying Honda's concept of having the batteries in the nose (a la Honda's 2009 effort as we have just discovered)? It may play into the weight distribution hands.

Raptor22

On teh KERS for W02, have a look at Honda's KRS system they unveiled at the Green car Conference. I have a feeling a lot of the ideas in there will find its way into W02.
I also wonder if they will be running A123 battery packs

Blackout

Zytech-Mercedes KERS:

Those oil tank and MGU look small...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

gibells wrote:Question is whether they're be able to glean information learnt by McLaren after choosing to ignore the unit in 2009. Kers + Big fuel tanks is going to be a packaging nightmare. Is there any credit in modifying Honda's concept of having the batteries in the nose (a la Honda's 2009 effort as we have just discovered)? It may play into the weight distribution hands.
I can see the advantages of this. My worry is why was this outed now, as Honda/Brawn/Mercedes engineers will long have known about this development.
Will it have been to throw a curveball to rivals, putting this out will make rivals look at their own concepts which will be well advanced as it is nearly December.

Also the mandatory weight distribution, with all the weight being packaged towards the rear(Engine/fuel/gearbox) having weight ahead of the airbox may be advantageous. The tyres will no doubt determine that, and the last thing Mercedes needs is another weight distribution cock-up.

I see Mercedes taking a calculated gamble, they need to do so to close the gap and possibly kick on. With Brawn there, he can push the engineers to produce somthing capable, and is a reason why alot of people are expecting somthing novel on the Merc next year to take advantage of the 2011 regs(me included).

I just hope the burden of their own expectation(as well as the fans) doesnt burden the team into making another "earth car". :?

And NewtonMeter
Never is too short a time! :lol:
David Purley

Timstr

Acoording to credible F1 journalist Jean Louis Moncet, the W02 has been fired up today for the first time:
http://blog.autoplus.fr/moncet/2010/11/ ... trompette/

Timstr

Raptor22 wrote:On teh KERS for W02, have a look at Honda's KRS system they unveiled at the Green car Conference. I have a feeling a lot of the ideas in there will find its way into W02.
I also wonder if they will be running A123 battery packs
I believe MB HPE was already an A123 Systems customer in 2009.

A123 was born out of the research labs of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and was funded initially with a $100,000 grant from the US Department of Energy in 2001. Among the companies using A123 batteries, battery systems and technology in the fields of transportation, grid energy storage and portable power are AES, BAE Systems, Better Place, Black and Decker, Cessna, Chrysler, Daimler, Delphi, Duke Energy, General Motors, Google.org, LADWP, Madison Gas and Electric, Magna Steyr, Mercedes Benz High Performance Engines, Procter and Gamble, Sempra and Volvo Truck.(Source:http://ir.a123systems.com/releasedetail ... eID=403091)

Scania

is it possible to make F-Duct work with movable wing?

bjpower

I assume you can.
you would need to set it up so it works for the high DF setting and maybe not for the low DF setting.
I imagine everyone is looking at this to mitigate the difference in straight line speed between you on the high DF setting and the car behind on the low.

ESPImperium

According to @RacecarEngineer (Racecar Engineering) on Twitter the MGP W02-01 (Assuming that is the chassis) was fired up for the first time just a few days ago.

Id asume the W02-01 will get shaken down in about 5 weeks time, as they will probably use that chassis for seat fittings and initial changes before that time. But it could be that the Mercedes team want W02-02 to do testing and for 03 and 04 to go racing in Bahrain with 01 being used back in Brackley.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ESPImperium wrote:According to @RacecarEngineer (Racecar Engineering) on Twitter the MGP W02-01 (Assuming that is the chassis) was fired up for the first time just a few days ago.

Id asume the W02-01 will get shaken down in about 5 weeks time, as they will probably use that chassis for seat fittings and initial changes before that time. But it could be that the Mercedes team want W02-02 to do testing and for 03 and 04 to go racing in Bahrain with 01 being used back in Brackley.
Where would the shakedown take place?
I doubt we will see any shakedown until February.

As for the Fducts....both varieties(passive and active) are banned for 2011.
David Purley

gridwalker

I knew that an actively stalled wing was banned and the shark fins cannot connect to the rear wing, however I haven't seen any ruling on passive systems. How have they phrased the regulations for banning a passively stalled wing?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Hmmmm I will have to cede to gridwalker and a couple of others.

The rules apparently only stipulate driver operated F-ducts to be banned.
So this does in fact leave a passive system as legal for 2011.

Oh Scarbs also makes mention of that on this post.
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/11/1 ... -the-past/
David Purley