McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RedTzar

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Perhaps you're right. I just thought I'd share it in light of the comment that McLaren will have this new exhaust. I'm quite interested in this car, theres a bit more hype around it than the others with the talk of "innovative" ideas. I don't know if its been mentioned earlier but Autosport Print mentioned the car will feature an aggressively packaged gearbox which makes me think we will see a very tight rear end or a special suspension system.

Shame theres nothing more to go on at the moment.

Blackout

(Sorry if someone already mentionned it, my internet connection is very slow :mrgreen: )

Have you heard that the Mp4-26 will combine the Renault exhausts with the F92A style sidepods copied by the STR6:

http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/14/79/55/26/23415210.jpg

http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/14/79/55/26/ferrar10.jpg

That means the exhaust will blow in that important space crated between the floor end the sidepods... that will very probably provide a huge advantage to Mclaren.

luca

That's very interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing how it will work out.

Just out of curiosity, who knows which team came up first with this front exit exhausts idea.
While it is true that Renault was the first to bring it into the car, McLaren has been talking about a revolutionary car for quite a while now (and has also postponed the launch of the new car). Also, based on the way Ross Brawn talked about it today, Mercedes has been looking into it for a while now as well.

Callum

luca wrote:That's very interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing how it will work out.

Just out of curiosity, who knows which team came up first with this front exit exhausts idea.
While it is true that Renault was the first to bring it into the car, McLaren has been talking about a revolutionary car for quite a while now (and has also postponed the launch of the new car). Also, based on the way Ross Brawn talked about it today, Mercedes has been looking into it for a while now as well.
I suspect that if it works out to be advantageous then everyone will say "me, me, I thought of the idea!" If it turns out to be rubbish then people will be pointing the finger...

forty-two

Might I suggest that discussions regarding the front exhaust exit be continued on the following thread?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9450

It just helps when discussions on a particular topic are all in the same place rather than spread out in every car's thread.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

luca

forty-two wrote:Might I suggest that discussions regarding the front exhaust exit be continued on the following thread?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9450

It just helps when discussions on a particular topic are all in the same place rather than spread out in every car's thread.
Yep, good advice. Could a mod move the relevant posts please? Thanks. :)

ringo

I hope the car isn't a flashy donkey; having all the bells and whittles the other teams have but slow.
Mclaren just need a straight up fast car. A bunch of innovations can easily transform into donkey shenanigans if they don't make the car quickest.
For Sure!!

FrukostScones

ringo wrote:I hope the car isn't a flashy donkey; having all the bells and whittles the other teams have but slow.
Mclaren just need a straight up fast car. A bunch of innovations can easily transform into donkey shenanigans if they don't make the car quickest.
Yes. Could be.
In my opinion the Mp4-25 turned into a dog when they adapted that EBD. I think without it they would have succeeded more.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

luca

Scarbs just twitted:
I'm told the new McLaren doesn't have the front exit exhausts or double floor as predicted in the media. #F1

allstaruk08

you can all talk about the the front exit exhausts and double floor's but one thing im looking forward to seeing on the McLaren is FLOWVIZ!!!!!!!!

cant wait to see the car now :D

forty-two

allstaruk08 wrote:you can all talk about the the front exit exhausts and double floor's but one thing im looking forward to seeing on the McLaren is FLOWVIZ!!!!!!!!

cant wait to see the car now :D
Why especially are you looking forward to seeing FloVis?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

axle

The EBD was a resurrection of previous ideas...
The FW33 Z Wishbone is a reserrection of a previous idea...

Pretty much everything has been done/thought of before. The trick is using at the right time based on the rules in force and the benefit derived.

I applaud STR for being brave and not just going with the heard, whether its been done before...And now point out you're discussing the STR6 and F92A in the MP4-26 thread!
- Axle

allstaruk08

http://mclaren.com/2011revealed/

thats just come up on their facebook page

myurr

In the interests of letting everyone see the image more easily...

luca

The nose cone looks very very thin, small and high.
The car also seems to have quite a long wheelbase.
Last edited by luca on 03 Feb 2011, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.