2011Testing-Barcelona-Circuit de Catalunya- 8th - 12th March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Alexgtt

Re: Testing-Barcelona-Circuit de Catalunya- 8th - 12th March

With Saubers reputation for a light car in testing I'm not so sure.

However, have the teams had any running on the super softs at this test? If not then they'll all surely be on a very steep learning curve for Oz qualy. Or do you think such low tyre allocations mean very few teams will even run them at all?

myurr

The soft and the hard tyre are in use at this test as they will be the tyres available in Australia.

FrukostScones

Perez posted his 1.21,761 onsupersofttyres, the team said he could have gone three tenth quicker.

Now please don't tell me that only soft and hard very available, At first I thought this too, but it was obviously wrong!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Ferraripilot

Paul Hembry further confirms via this interview that hard and softs were the only tires the teams were testing during the final Barcelona test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucT13kodIQ

becool70

Sauber should be trying to get their car set up properly for race distance not trying to do a supersoft superfast time in practice... I am not to worried about Barcelona times at all , everyone is hiding true pace ...

becool70

Ferraripilot wrote:Paul Hembry further confirms via this interview that hard and softs were the only tires the teams were testing during the final Barcelona test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucT13kodIQ
I believe those Supersofts only last 3-4 laps before they destroy themselves... but the teams could use them at the last minute in a a race for some final flying laps?? what are your thoughts?

Tamburello

Ferraripilot wrote:Paul Hembry further confirms via this interview that hard and softs were the only tires the teams were testing during the final Barcelona test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucT13kodIQ
Nothing in this clip actually confirms that the soft and hard tyres were the only compounds available. All he says is that the teams tested the hard and softs which doesn't necessarily say that they didn't test the supersofts and mediums.

There are conflicting reports and comments by various journalists and drivers etc.

Tamburello

Following on from the discussion of mileages by the different teams on the Merc thread, I had Ferrari out on their own with Red Bull, Sauber and Merc in a group just behind the Scuderia in terms of reliability based purely on the mileage in testing.

Raymondu reckons Red Bull should be in Ferrari's group rather than being lumped together with the other two. I say that Red Bull's mileage is closer to the other two than it is to Ferrari's, so they should be thought of as having a very reliable car but not as bulletproof as the Ferrari.

raymondu999

Does anyone have data regarding how many reliability issues each team suffered, and if terminal? ie would it have caused a DNF if it happened in the race. eg a team with 1000 km in testing but 20 reliability issues would probably be less reliable than one who completed 500km with 0 reliability issues. (unlikely as the scenario may be)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tamburello

I have amended my categories a little here:

Bulletproof: Ferrari
Very Reliable: Red Bull, Sauber, Merc
Good: Torro Rosso
So So: Renault, Williams
Still Needs to Improve: Force India, Lotus
Struggling: Virgin, McLaren

(Lotus moved up from "Struggling" to "Still Needs to Improve" at the last test)

raymondu999

I'm starting to think we have to make different categories for Trulli's vs Kovalainen's Loti. Both seem to be in different leagues of reliability
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tamburello

Good point. Other teams might have similar issues but I haven't look at the data closely. Everyone knows, of course, that last year Webber's car was bulletproof whereas Vettel's broke down quite a bit...

becool70

Tumbarello wrote:I have amended my categories a little here:

Bulletproof: Ferrari
Very Reliable: Red Bull, Sauber, Merc
Good: Torro Rosso
So So: Renault, Williams
Still Needs to Improve: Force India, Lotus
Struggling: Virgin, McLaren

(Lotus moved up from "Struggling" to "Still Needs to Improve" at the last test)
I agree =D> =D>

Henne

Was Rosberg driving in the wet with a Schumacher helmet yesterday? I only see pictures from Schumi's helmet in the rain yesterday...