BAR 006

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
klutsei

BAR 006

the first pics of the new bar:

thomorrow is the real launch, with detail pics I hope.

Aradea

Looking Good, 006..

Wow, where did U get these pics man ? Did BAR already launch the pics before they even launch the 006 Car ? I've been waiting to see the new car for almost a week now, I didn't expect to see the pics before the launch... But at last, the new car is unveiled.
Looks like the 005 though, but strange new front wing (more curvaceous). The upper plate (the one at the back, forgive me if I'm wrong) of the front wing is a little bit high than the other one don't U think ?
I tought the sidepods will be much rounder (like Ferrari sidepods), but at least it's not as boxy as the 005's.

Sure hope It's Fast :D

Irvingthien

Look at the frontal view of the sidepods in the second picture, a huge surface next to the hole for the ratiator is perpendicular, doens't that creates a lot of drags?
Funny sponsors paint from Lucky Strike...strange that why BAR has pictures for the public befor the launch...Noce cones looks big compared to McLarens

elf
elf

here's another 3/4 view:

SpeedTech

Why dose the 3/4 view show that on the side of the sidepods show's a grill of some sort, though on the other picture it show's the Luky Strike sponsor and NO grill? :?

akbar21881

its a sticker,not grill

Steven
Owner

Well they were not allowed to have Lucky Strike on the car there, so they put up this alternate barcode, it's something we have already seen during races in 2003.

Those pics leaked out in fact because they were on the Takuma Sato website, without security. Must be the first big mistake of Sato, and the season has not started yet hehehe :D

Wrote small impression here: http://www.f1technical.net/features/229

Timstr

BAR is boasting their single biggest development to be the 'full' carbon composite casing. From an article written by Scarbs I gathered it would be a metal case wrapped in carbon (like Jordan last year and Ferrari this year); the socalled hybrid material gear cases. But BAR is speaking of a full carbon maincase. I'm confused :(

Scarbs?

Aradea

Does anybody have a picture of Honda's RA004E Engine ? If U do, could U please post it.. I like to see their new engine. :D
About the gearbox, what's the difference between the all-titanium one and the full carbon composite ? Can U help me here scarbs ?

Aradea wrote:Does anybody have a picture of Honda's RA004E Engine ? If U do, could U please post it.. I like to see their new engine. :D
About the gearbox, what's the difference between the all-titanium one and the full carbon composite ? Can U help me here scarbs ?
This article provides some good reading about CF gearboxes:
http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ftpw017.html

rodlamas

I only have to say that BAR are just crazy about all they are saying.

They were fith last year 62 points behind Renault and now are saying that tey can on the PODIUM in Oz.

Button is just too enchanted by all the numbers and promisses Willis has told him about.

And I keep on saying..... They are on a new tyre that they´ll never have tested when the get to Melbourne on the conditions they´ll have ate Oz.

There´s just too many cars for them to overtake to be on the podium.

Unless Takuma take, Schuey, Raikkonen, Coulthard, Montoya etc out at the frist 500 meters.
"I only race to finisht first, because the second is the first looser" Ayrton Senna

NickT

autosport.com wrote: Jenson Button has demolished the unofficial lap record at Barcelona on the first full day of testing of the new BAR-Honda 006 this morning (Monday). The Briton lapped the Spanish track in 1m13.867s, nearly a second clear of the previous record, which Button had set in BAR's hybrid car late last month.

It is understood that Button set his time on a one-lap, low fuel qualifying-style run, although it will still be a major boost to the team so early into the running of the new 006. After his initial run yesterday, Button praised the stability of his new car, with which the team has targeted regular podium finishes throughout 2004.

Button had set the previous lap record while testing BAR's 'hybrid car' back in January, although both driver and team admitted that his time of 1m14.607s was set during a low fuel run.
Even taken with a pintch of salt this is still pretty impressive.

History is fine to a point but sometimes you have to look at a slightly bigger picture and then factor in Mr Dave Richards and Honda.

All I will predict is Austrailia is going to be very interesting!
NickT

scarbs

BARs hot air outlet sis a devleopment of the late 2003 version. It follows the principles used as others as said of the F2001 or recent McLarens, by forming the outlet above a flip up. The New BAR version is almost a flattened chimney, with the sideplate extendign to link to the winglet. The version on the launch car was the largest spec, ready for the first races, later versions will be smaller, otherwise the sidepods are really slim and very rounded at the front.

The Gearbox is all carbon (CF), in as much as the main casing is prmarily formed from CF, rather than the Ferrari\Jordan CF wrapped metal casing. Geoff woudln't tell me how they mounted the bearings, or even if they were using metallic bulkheads. But the gains are in stiffness\weight.
BAR have added an infinite amount of details to the car, it is very impressive the work they have done this year, equal or above the improvement the 005 made on the Oastler BARs. BTW Willis did not say the biggest gain was on the gearbox, only it was the most obvious. other mechanical and aero tweaks gave the real gains. He mentioned the anouncement of the CF gearbox was because other teams had seen it (Patrick head). geoff added he tried to tell (jokingly) that the carbon finish was only a special anodising, like on boy racer cars.

As far as laptimes well the car wasnt ready for a full test prgramme on Sunday as Lamda tests on the engine and its new airbox were carried out. So the fast lap must be viewed as a marketing ploy, still a BAR able to break a lap record out ofthe box must also equate to a record...!

scarbs

BARs hot air outlet sis a devleopment of the late 2003 version. It follows the principles used as others as said of the F2001 or recent McLarens, by forming the outlet above a flip up. The New BAR version is almost a flattened chimney, with the sideplate extendign to link to the winglet. The version on the launch car was the largest spec, ready for the first races, later versions will be smaller, otherwise the sidepods are really slim and very rounded at the front.

The Gearbox is all carbon (CF), in as much as the main casing is prmarily formed from CF, rather than the Ferrari\Jordan CF wrapped metal casing. Geoff woudln't tell me how they mounted the bearings, or even if they were using metallic bulkheads. But the gains are in stiffness\weight.
BAR have added an infinite amount of details to the car, it is very impressive the work they have done this year, equal or above the improvement the 005 made on the Oastler BARs. BTW Willis did not say the biggest gain was on the gearbox, only it was the most obvious. other mechanical and aero tweaks gave the real gains. He mentioned the anouncement of the CF gearbox was because other teams had seen it (Patrick head). geoff added he tried to tell (jokingly) that the carbon finish was only a special anodising, like on boy racer cars.

As far as laptimes well the car wasnt ready for a full test prgramme on Sunday as Lamda tests on the engine and its new airbox were carried out. So the fast lap must be viewed as a marketing ploy, still a BAR able to break a lap record out ofthe box must also equate to a record...!

Aradea

Ease Up With the critics..

I know Dave Richards and the others said a lot of positive things, & maybe the rest of U who saw what happen in the winter testing must be thinking that their goal is a big joke..
But U see, There's no team in the paddock who wants to be in middle or even at bottom of the championship. Everybody wants to win and get a lot of points. So are BAR, they have spent a lot of money not to be in the middle of the grid, they want to be at the top, they want to win. And what's wrong in being optimistic ?? Maybe they have learn from couple of seasons of experience & Maybe they know something that we didn't... I'm sure they have a reason (THIS TIME) for being upbeat for the 2004 season and I'm sure there's a lot of positive things for BAR this season.
So maybe we should see Melbourne first, before we pass our judgement, especially when it comes to critics.. Ok Guys ? :D