Marussia MR01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob

Marussia MR01 Cosworth

I'd like to start this thread with blatant rumor and speculation. A little birdie told me that McLaren went a bit further selling data to Marusia than they did to Force India, and that their 2012 car would look an awful lot like the 2011 McLaren. Do we have anything that can back this up or refute it?
Last edited by Richard on 27 Feb 2012, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated title to car's offical name

Petroltorque

Re: Marusia MR-03

That would be in direct contravention to the concorde agreement. I'm sure the teams would challenge their car.

beelsebob

Petroltorque wrote:That would be in direct contravention to the concorde agreement. I'm sure the teams would challenge their car.
Note – I didn't say identical, I said very very similar. I've not seen the wording of the concorde agreement, but I can imagine that selling a lot of aero data on which shapes work well would be well within the rules, even though saying "our car looked like this, do this" would clearly not be.

ESPImperium

Ive heard rumors that are pretty much simmilar, but what the aggreement was is for arround 120 McLaren engineers and technicians to come into the team and help with design and installations. This is to swell the Marussia staffing levels from arround their current level of 145 to 265, whitch is arround the optimal for a team of this size. Team Lotus/Caterham are at 245 and are looking to expand to arround 275 ideally. Hispania have arround 160 guys at present accross 3 bases in Cologne and Brackley.

Virgin/Marussia were to also get to use the McLaren simulator a day a week and also have unlimited useage of the Driver Wellness suite, and more McLaren software than you can shake a stick at, altho the software is about 2 step revisions behind. Not to mention the fact that Marussia use the McLaren tunnel the 40% of the time that McLaren dont use their tunnel, but that means they keep well within the RRA, but they loose certain points of the CFD facility.

I can immagine that McLaren have given Marussia alot of help in the design side of things, id not be surprised if Marussia dont have a Mclaren style front wing next year and a good few other aero simmilarities.

I think its a good deal for the sport as it means that we get another one of the 2010 new breed faster, Lotus/Team Lotus/Caterham have did traditional way, Virgin/Marussia are doing it diffrently. This is what should have happened in 2010 when it was apparent that the new guys wernt fast enough quick enough. The larger teams should have given them their redundant resource to get higher up the grid.

If F1 can finish next year with 24 cars coovered by arround 3 to 4 seconds, it will be in a good enough place. Its still about the ideal place for me of 24 cars covered by as little as 1.5 to 2 seconds, where F1 was in 2008/2009.

miqi23

Marussia racing has a technical partnership with Mclaren racing and from what I know it involves Mclaren teaching Marussia how to design fast cars aerodynamically. In return, Marussia will teach Mclaren how to do CFD their way.

Marussia use the Mclaren wind tunnel so I do not see why Mclaren have not disclosed most of the good stuff!

Petroltorque

This is a can of worms. We've already had teams questioning the amount of technical cooperation allowed between teams.

raymondu999

Don't forget that next year Pat Symonds will be working for them full time (IIRC). If they were getting that level of cooperation, he would be able to capitalise.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aleks_ader

miqi23 wrote:Marussia racing has a technical partnership with Mclaren racing and from what I know it involves Mclaren teaching Marussia how to design fast cars aerodynamically. In return, Marussia will teach Mclaren how to do CFD their way.

Marussia use the Mclaren wind tunnel so I do not see why Mclaren have not disclosed most of the good stuff!
Hmm maybe Mclaren searching s test "bunny" team? All sort colaborations are good for teams developmend...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Javert

Re: Marussia MR-03

It makes me sense that McLaren could donate 120 people with no regrets :mrgreen:
Even if they are the worst ones or the ones which failed (the ones which thought the Octopus for example :mrgreen:)

Financial crisis for McL or are they getting new blood?

wesley123

With the RRA I believe McLaren had to let go employees anyway, so why not send them to Virgin?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aleks_ader

Javert wrote: Financial crisis for McL or are they getting new blood?
How do you actually mean with this? As i now Mclaren alredy reinforced his own company financial source! They make totaly new factory, they produce own products. So Mclaren brand step in the new dimension!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

I really wasn't sure where else I could have posted this - but yeah.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KkY0IWeE2I[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tozza Mazza

raymondu999 wrote:I really wasn't sure where else I could have posted this - but yeah.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KkY0IWeE2I[youtube]
Low dash bulkheads, a feature I expect to see on all 2012 cars, to avoid the horrific aero killing noses many seem to think we are getting in 2012 (WE'RE NOT!)
Last edited by Richard on 29 Feb 2012, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

raymondu999

Tozza - what are you referring to with "aero killing" noses?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tozza Mazza

raymondu999 wrote:Tozza - what are you referring to with "aero killing" noses?

Scarbs' design, here, whilst conforming to the regulations, is far less efficient than a current 2011 nose, due to having a much larger surface area at the front (more draggy), and the underside is quite 'messy'

Here is my design, it's simpler, legal, and should be better (I can't verify that though!), although by the looks of it, Virgin have done what I have.

EDIT: Note that where it says 1800mm, that figure should be 925mm. 1800mm is the length of the whole survival cell (excluding fuel tank and roll hoop).