Marussia MR01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob

Re: Marussia MR-03 Cosworth

ESPImperium wrote:I think a Blade design is definatly posible, if not probable. Looks like they will have a conventional sidepod configuration, as for the nose, it looks like they have gione with a smoother and more elegant solution of what they had in 2010 to meet the A-A to B-B line regs for the nose height.

It looks a improvement already over 2011, if they can gain a second in pre season, they will worry Caterham and the mid pack teams.
Caterham have an extra $30m to spend – Marussia won't be coming close.

aral

ESPImperium wrote:I think a Blade design is definatly posible, if not probable. Looks like they will have a conventional sidepod configuration, as for the nose, it looks like they have gione with a smoother and more elegant solution of what they had in 2010 to meet the A-A to B-B line regs for the nose height.

It looks a improvement already over 2011, if they can gain a second in pre season, they will worry Caterham and the mid pack teams.
Blade designs are banned!

beelsebob

gilgen wrote:

Blade designs are, "blade" designs aren't – i.e. as long as your blade is wide enough, you can still have a split airbox.

aleks_ader

gilgen wrote:

No in FIA regulations are very clear write all exact cross section dimensions of "blade"!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Polarbear

Just read that the new Marussia chassis will be called MR-01, not MR-03 as stated on the thread title...

Has anyone heard anything about Marussia's progress? Do we think that they will make the first test, or will they be another Hispania, builidng the car for the first time in the garage at Melbourne?

http://www.marussiaf1team.com/car/519/i ... oming-soon

cbbcisace

Watching the Autosport International Interview with Pat Symonds he says the 2012 car will be at Barcelona and not Jerez.

TzeiTzei

Pat Symonds was interviewed by Autosport.

- thinks it's pretty much a completely new team since Wirth's departure

- the 2012 car doesn't get in to the windtunnel until february: "Normally you would start in June to do this," he adds. "But you must remember that we only did the deal with McLaren in July and it takes a long while to build these [model] cars. If you haven't seen a windtunnel model, it's hard to describe how complex it is. But I always say that they're the second most expensive racing cars you're ever likely to see. They are incredibly complex things."

- "There's no point just building a model, putting it in and then believing everything that comes from the results. What we wanted to do was calibrate it against the 2011 car – so we did some very specific 2011 straight-line testing, then we replicated those tests in the windtunnel, and made sure we've understood everything before we built the 2012 model."

- very little has been carried over from last year's car

Plus there is a Motorsportmagazine podcast with Symonds: http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/op ... t-symonds/
He says they will have the 2011 car in the first test.

hrt
hrt

TzeiTzei wrote: He says they will have the 2011 car in the first test.
Also in the second one.

aleks_ader

I little look in the detail pictures previous Marussia MR-02 car and i most say they have very good ideas but that ideas are to much rought... I think they MUST improve itention on the little details... There is huge week spot to overcome...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Sawtooth-spike

So everybody will be running KERS other than Marussia?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97195
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

raymondu999

Pat Symonds is running the show now though. I'm very sure that they have a good reason. Maybe Pat feels that his time is better spent sorting basic reliability and improving the fundamental aero/mech design than he is with fitting/cooling/reliability issues of KERS. Don't forget that that's a path he took in 2009 as Renault abandoned KERS sometime after the first flyaway races.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aleks_ader

That is unseriosly work! I now it is hard to devenelope the KERS, but they most desperate to find extra time... Good time improvements is solid base for good sponsorships contracts.

Florio

When you've got seconds instead of tenths to find, packing a KERS unit inside the car isn't going to be easy. Even the best struggle with KERS so I think it's a wise decision.

Forza

I thnik that the main reason are costs as they claimed. If their only abition is to beat HRT than maybe this is still good way to do it but I would aim higher than that.

Schulteiss

Florio wrote:When you've got seconds instead of tenths to find, packing a KERS unit inside the car isn't going to be easy. Even the best struggle with KERS so I think it's a wise decision.
There is reason in that. A KERS unit is worth .4-.6s/ lap. Its not worth throwing money at it, until it becomes a decisive factor for the car/team in achieving a specific goal.