Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

Last edited by Morteza on 01 Feb 2012, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

beelsebob

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Gridlock wrote:That's the exhaust, no?
To me it looks too small to be the (only?) exhaust exit. I wonder if they've found a loose rule interpretation that's letting them put an exit somewhere else.

Crucial_Xtreme

mclaren777 wrote:Would anybody like to speculate about this bump and whether it's the exhaust outlet?

Yes the exhaust exits there but closer to the car not the outer edge. I'm sure it will be moved and I'm sure the car that races in Melbourne will look different than the one we saw today.

Huntresa

The side pods back angle looks very steep or is that the paint creating an illusion

thestig84

sAx wrote:
thestig84 wrote:Well it looks like my person got the intakes right again and nose being similar. Also see why he didnt have too much else to say...looks similar but very nice. Good job Mclaren
Don't quite see the aggressive design philosophy hinted at or areas that will raise questions around legality. Maybe that is to be played out during testing next week.

It looks nice, but....?

sAx
Everything I heard pointed at conservative evolution but people like to get carried away. If your referring to the removed autosport aggressive design/legality story I think that was a dudd quote and should be ignored.

jamesalexw

Rear wing has painted silver stripes, I'd expect some development around that area similar to last years vents.

Would be very surprised if the car looks anything like this at Australia and Mr Whitmarsh has just said that very thing on the Q&A live stream.....

beelsebob

They can't be the exhausts, they break this rule:
The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
(part of 5.8.3)

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9

It appears to have a small access panel just above the rear upper wishbone. It looks like an alternative exhaust position.

myoozikk

painkiller

what else than the exhaust??!

Intego

Seems that they have adopted the RB-style elliptic sidepod shape near the floor – the secret that Ringo just revealed =D>
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Gridlock

beelsebob wrote:They can't be the exhausts, they break this rule:
The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
(part of 5.8.3)
Does "normal" mean perpendicular then? Because I don't see how they do unless it does - I take it to mean the exit must have one face only, no shaping.

And what's this?

italian

The strut of the front-suspension and the suspension arms of the lower triangle are higher. New configuration for the rims of the wheels too.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

beelsebob

The rear suspension wishbones there looks like they have really tiny travel, even for an F1 car. TBH, I'm growing increasingly convinced we've been sold a dummy here.