Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ledzep4pm

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

That big photo is nice.

Can see there is more space around the rear than I first thought. Once again high rear crash structure with integrated Beam Wing. Is this to reduce weight ?
Twitter @ledzep4pm

Henning

Has anyone else noticed how high (compared to 2011) that tea-tray is? It seems to extend all the way forwards to the front wing uprights.

After looking a second time from the side on view , it looks like an additional tray to the tea-tray that protrudes from the front of the main tub (under the driver). I think it's what beelsebob is asking about a couple of posts back.
Last edited by Henning on 01 Feb 2012, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.S

More Rake,Modified U-pods,slightly shorter wheelbase & a dipping nose.

Last edited by Giblet on 01 Feb 2012, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove performance speculation, driver talk, and more performance speculation. Stick to the car, and its parts.

beelsebob

Henning wrote:Has anyone else noticed how high (compared to 2011) that tea-tray is? It seems to extend all the way forwards to the front wing uprights.

After looking a second time from the side on view, it looks like an additional tray to the tea-tray that protrudes from the front of the main tub (under the driver).
That's called a snow plow – at least the last 3 years of McLarens have had them.

beelsebob

Mr.S wrote:More Rake,Modified U-pods,slightly shorter wheelbase & a dipping nose.
How are people seeing the rake? It's not on the ground, the suspension isn't compressed – you have no clue how much rake it has.

"Modified U-pods"? U? Where?

Last edited by Giblet on 01 Feb 2012, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted driver talk and response to it. Car please.

Hangaku

As for the car, I really like it. Wheels are v. interesting, I wonder what they are trying to do with them.

Sidepods - I like how they angle down towards the centre of the car - this implies that even though they are far removed last years L-pods, they are in fact an evolution of that.

It does appear that the nose and sides of the car are very square. Any reason behind that?
Last edited by Giblet on 01 Feb 2012, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted OT and response. Car please only.
Yer.

vall

it is me or this car is kind of too normal? I read few days back that at lunch the car will have features the legality of which may be questioned, some radically different solutions, etc,etc. Intead we get this, how to say, boring concervative car.... Unless we've been sold a complete dummy :D

bhall

Using the same principle as the now-banned EBDs, is it possible that the exhausts, as configured, create virtual flip-ups?

ajdavison2

Anyone else think the sidepods look disappointingly fat towards the rear? Might just be the angles and perspectives but I think the CT01 looks far more refined at the back!?

raymondu999

bhallq - you're suggesting using the exhaust plume as an "air wall" to simulate the flipups then?
ajdavidson - the exhausts make them look unsightly anyways
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

afiq

ScarbsF1's Blog wrote:Areas below and behind the nose are not allowed to have bodywork (shown yellow in the diagram)

There seems to be vanes under the tub

bhall

raymondu999 wrote:bhallq - you're suggesting using the exhaust plume as an "air wall" to simulate the flipups then?
Indeed, I am.

Gridlock

Umm, do the press photos (taken before the launch) show a front duct, which I highlighted the rear of and which you can see the front of here:

It's not there at the press conference, as you can see if you look under the nose on the front-on shot at the top of this page:

The blue arrow points to the curved front section immediately under the wing, the red to where the "duct" or whatever should be? Or am I seeing the t-tray?
Last edited by Gridlock on 01 Feb 2012, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Banki

Mr.S wrote:More Rake,Modified U-pods,slightly shorter wheelbase & a dipping nose.

Why did they have to shorten the wheelbase? This is a slightly change

ell66

Modified U=pods? there nothing like last years....and I'm pretty sure once the testing/racing starts you'll see more differences and its very likely the car's 94% different.
Last edited by Giblet on 01 Feb 2012, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed non car stuff.