Ferrari F2004

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hit_guy

Re: hi

hit_guy wrote:While looking at the front wing of the f2004 I observed that only the cental portion of the third element (right in front of the single keel) is serrated
Any reasons why??
Im sure it's just a small Gurney flap... from what I heard, the serrated edges' vortexes, summed up, are still smaller than that of a "traditional" Gurney flap.

hit_guy

Rear End

More Snapshots of the new rear additions of the F2004

http://www.f1racing.net/photo_large.php ... &startat=0

Notice how the black bar touches the cover of the exhaust on the top

One more snapshot

http://www.f1racing.net/photo_large.php ... &startat=0

Any aero benefits from this arrangement
Any comments

rumpelstulskin

hey guys, any idea what reason a team (ferrari in particluar) would have to test with the old car even if it is "very similar" to the new one and consistently fall short of the best times at the circuit? it is not so much an apprehension as a curiosity for me (ferrari fan obv.) I mean stuff like balance of the car, the set-up and aerodynamics can't be worked on, and even tyre development with the prev year's weight distribution might not be indicative of this year's performance, right?

akbar21881

about the add-on at the back of the car,why its just looks crude? its like an afterthought add-on,its not even in colour,and so uneven in its shape.

dumrick

Strangely, that thing at the back seems to have no inclination... so it must not be there for downforce purposes... I can't see, at that height, much interaction between it and the rear wing.
Could it be something like just a strut? I mean, it was Rory that used to attach the tips of the front wing to the nose cone by means of wire, or something like it, back in 1987/8/9...

Ferrari F2004

Yes it looks suspiciously like some form of stiffener attached to the engine cover; i'm not sure of the rules governing placing wings in this region, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was there to control the lateral stiffness of the rear wheel air deflectors so that they do not touch the wheels at high speeds.

Stuart

f1316

Re: Ferrari F2004

Perhaps it's me wanting to remember a good Ferrari ;), but it's also because nearly every race we watch shows us the lap record is held by this car, that I felt like hearing some opinions on it.

Surely, it would not be out of place to call this the fastest F1 car ever? Of course, due to regulation changes, whichever was the leading car that year was likely to keep its records for a long time, but this car was also ultra-dominant - arguably more so than the RB7.

So what made it so great? I'd like to hear some opinions.

flynfrog

before bumping an 8 year old thread to ask for opinions as to why it was so great you could spend some time and read the thread to see why.

f1316

flynfrog wrote:before bumping an 8 year old thread to ask for opinions as to why it was so great you could spend some time and read the thread to see why.
Yes, I have been reading it. But all of the posts were written before the season and there is a lot of speculation rather than analysis.

None of what's written in here has the benefit of knowing what a successful car the F2004 would become - indeed, a lot of posts are speculating that the car will be unsuccesful. So I thought a fresh perspective would be interesting.

Perhaps I should have started a new thread about this, but since one already existed for the car, duplication seemed unecessary.

coaster

This car was so great because of it's long evolution F2002/3/4 were one long chain of refinement.
'theblueprints' website has a 3 view vector DXF of the A1GP ferrari which was evolved from the F2004 aerodynamic surfaces.
Below the skin it shares nothing, still, it's fun slicing and dicing it to fit the f1 regulations.