Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

shelly

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Raised radiators is a very interesting feature on the mp4-27.

IIRC also the lotus E20 has retained this solution, even without the fee this year.

I wonder what has led to this choice
twitter: @armchair_aero

axle

shelly wrote:Raised radiators is a very interesting feature on the mp4-27.

IIRC also the lotus E20 has retained this solution, even without the fee this year.

I wonder what has led to this choice
Surely it's down to the shape of the sidepods...raised rads to pinch the space for aero.
- Axle

Just_a_fan

I agree with axle. The sidepod shape is key to McLaren's exhaust system performing correctly so it's likely they designed the radiator packaging around the aero needs. Which makes sense as maximising aero benefits at the rear will outweigh any slight CoG disadvangtages.

As an aside, I'm always amazed how low and compact the engine installations are on modern F1 cars. The tops of the cylinder heads look to be not much more than upper wishbone height in the photos of the McLaren
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

shelly

I agree ther could be aero behinfd this choice (or kers packaging maybe). But why would raising the radiators benefit exhaust and/or aero is not straightforward.
maybe it is something related to the radiator angle being low while the intake being high ( high intake is a striaghtforward aero reason)
twitter: @armchair_aero

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

PlatinumZealot

madly wrote:Image

Scarbs on Twitter: Mclaren sidepods bared, the radiators are clear of the floor like the FEE 2011 Renault. Whats packaged beneath them?
Maybe they don't want any U-bends in the water pipes.

All the radiator raised above the pump increases the net pressure suction head.

That's just a hunch on my part - cooling related.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

paulrockliffe

My guess: lifting the radiators lets you undercut the sidepods further and having the radiators more in a line between the intake and the desired exit location means less drag and less space taken up by the ducting.

Gridlock

Scarbs suggested he had been told one team was running some sort of triggered-stalling system on the above-sidepod airflow, was that this lot, or someone else, or does nobody know? I assumed McLaren or Sauber.

gray41

Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

hardingfv32

"triggered-stalling system on the above-sidepod airflow"... For what possible benefit?

Brian

FrukostScones

hardingfv32 wrote:"triggered-stalling system on the above-sidepod airflow"... For what possible benefit?

Brian
f-ducking the side pod? getting rid of some drag?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

beelsebob

FrukostScones wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:"triggered-stalling system on the above-sidepod airflow"... For what possible benefit?

Brian
f-ducking the side pod? getting rid of some drag?
If you could do it, you'd do it all the time – the side pods create lift, so you'd want to dump both drag and lift no matter what situation you're in.

Gridlock

beelsebob wrote: If you could do it, you'd do it all the time
Maybe if you're managing downforce directly, maybe not so much if you're switching the exhaust flow vector

ringo

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Oh just wait until Ringo see's this new McLaren nose. :lol: He's been on about the low nose from day one.

I don't think it's a big deal. Why not switch to something that works better if the team determines it is in fact better. The low nose can't be attributed directly to any poor performances.

Haven't been on here in a while..
Saw it from a mile away.
Yes it was only natural they switched. The regulations are so tight that every little performance advantage that can be had, must be had.

The mclaren nose was a dead spot; it was knowingly un-maximized. They knew it wasn't the best aerodynamically, but they thought it had something special to it. Desingn tradition and culture is to blame for this.
Anyway, there is no advantage aerodynamically with a low nose.
The aim is to get equal with the other teams, then find something to get ahead.

If you want to work the tyres right, you need the down-force; in the most consistent way which is at the center of the car. The higher the nose the faster and less disturbed the air is going to the floor and splitter.
For Sure!!