Williams Garage Fire

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gridwalker

Williams Garage Fire

I guess we're going to need this thread ...

The Williams Garage fire is currently reported to be a KERS Explosion and there are an undisclosed number of injuries. Such a sad end to a great day for the Williams team.

What does this mean for regulating KERS safety in the sport?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

N12ck

Re: Williams Garage Fire

gridwalker wrote:I guess we're going to need this thread ...

The Williams Garage fire is currently reported to be a KERS Explosion and there are an undisclosed number of injuries. Such a sad end to a great day for the Williams team.

What does this mean for regulating KERS safety in the sport?
sky are now saying the explosion was fuel
Budding F1 Engineer

gridwalker

KERS batteries located under fueltank? A potent combo ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

N12ck

There should be a fire truck in the paddock at all times in my opinion
Budding F1 Engineer

Harvey

How did it take so long for any kind of emergency vehicle to get to the pits!? The max distance they have to drive is half the track, and there is surely more than one ambulance and fire tender covering the circuit. That's pretty poor, in my view.
Take my hat off to the mechanics all getting in there without any emergency equipment though. They probably stopped it getting properly out of hand.

dangerous

Sky's saying one of their cameraman's legs caught fire, and one of the Force India mechanics got a decent lungfull and is at the medical centre...

joseff

Could this be related to the Schumacher crash? The prospect of this happening out on track is horrifying. Plus, I'm not familiar with the crash recovery procedure, are the marshals supposed to press the discharge button when recovering a car?

This could lead to a new rule for 2013 regulating isolation and insulation between fuel tank and batteries IMO.

Afterburner

Afterburner

bhall

Let's not immediately assume that this is KERS-related. The reports thus far are contradictory, with some claiming KERS and other claiming a fuel explosion.

jordangp

From TV reports, and interviews with those involved, it's of my understanding that they said, someone was doing something with the KERS unit, and could feel some current coming out from it, as Barney (The man who's legs were on fire) was moving the fuel rigs, and some how they caused the fire. I presume it was an electrical fire, amplified by the nearby fuel.

There were 4 staff from Williams and 1 from Force India who were taken to the Medical Center.

EDIT: Source: @NataliePinkham - about half an hour ago - 4 Williams team members and 1 from Force India currently being treated in medical centre

bhall

jordangp

Short Video of the moment it started happening

http://youtu.be/soH-tQ9iw78
Last edited by jordangp on 13 May 2012, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

gato azul

joseff wrote: I'm not familiar with the crash recovery procedure, are the marshals supposed to press the discharge button when recovering a car?
to answer your question:
In case of an "normal' accident/incident
30.5 A driver who abandons a car must leave it in neutral or with the clutch disengaged, with the KERS shut down and with the steering wheel in place.
The question is what happens in a "big" accident, ala Kubica in Canada or similar, with the driver incapable to operate the systems after a big crash.

As with refueling, KERS has the "potential" for a incident, it's just a question of time, when it will happen.
But let's not jump to conclusions, it remains to be seen, what has caused the garage fire at Williams.
Sad end, to an otherwise great day for them.

Muulka

Kravitz says that the fire started on the opposite side of the garage to the car, so I'd say it was caused by something else. Maybe some of the equipment in the back of the garage caught fire and lit some fuel?

I have a feeling that something will be done to prevent this happening again.

I should be studying! Damn fire! :roll: