Williams Garage Fire

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jordangp

Re: Williams Garage Fire

Caterham now say 4 of their employees have been taken to the medical center, one with a hand issue, and 3 with respiratory issues.

http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/843201/c43c482716/ARCHIVE

jordangp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... duKPR6Amyg

Another video of the fire, from the much better Sky coverage.

And another from Sky's website: http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/video/24070/7754160

JayeOFarrell

This is devastating, such a sad ending to such a fantastic day :/ I hope everyone is okay.
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

Pandabeer

Re: Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

Few more infos on the fire in the Williams box:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99599

ESPImperium

Second fire this year, first Lotus in MAL and now Williams garrage in ESP.

H&S will be looked at now.

This is what some people said could and would happen with race fuel at the start and KERS. Not sure if Refueling would come back, but it was one of the pluses as if a car went out early doors and the car got back to the pits and had a KERS problem whilst the fuel drain was happening.

I know from my training at work that fuel is something that needs to be respected at all times when unloading. I work in a petrol station, and have a better than average grasp on unloading fuel.

Is it time for the fuel unloading to be done outside before a KERS pack is unloaded from the car?

Lots of questions, no answers at present.

tomazy

i70q7m7ghw

Re: Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

Fire came from behind the garage, images of frank being rushed to safety. This was a very near miss.

Richard

Fortunately the fire started when the team were outside for the celebratory team pictures.

BBC has this image...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18051779

Italiano

tomazy wrote:Image
Maldonado confirmed for awesome.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

ben_watkins

BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

thearmofbarlow

Wow, are there not overhead extinguishers in the pits?

basrawi

they are saying its a fuel canister that exploded, but no one knows what caused it to burst yet
t was initially believed that the car of Bruno Senna, sat in the garage of the race-winning team after it had retired from the race, may have suffered a KERS explosion. However the general paddock feeling is now that the blaze came from behind the partitions at the back of the garage as fuel canisters dramatically caught fire
Last edited by basrawi on 13 May 2012, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
M Basrawi

ESPImperium

thearmofbarlow wrote:Wow, are there not overhead extinguishers in the pits?
Not in Barcelona. They are at the newer pit facilities like Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Silverstone and Suzuka for instance. However facilities like Barcelona, Monza, Hungaroring and Hockenheim all need updating to facilities like the newer tracks, or newer pit facilities at existing tracks.

The tracks with the overhead dump sprinklers are as follows:

Shanghai
Bahrain
Valencia Urban
Silverstone
Korea
Suzuka
India
Abu Dhabi
Austin, USA

There are one or two more like Turkey.

The others either don't have sprinklers, or just have normal sprinklers. The new dump sprinklers dump 10 litres a minute over the fire where normal sprinklers put up to 2.5 litres a minute over the fire. This would have helped a lot.

I think this will lead tracks to put in dump sprinklers or ideally new pit facilities as many tracks have dreadfully woeful facilities now. The Barcelona pit building is only 8 or 9 years old as it was upgraded in 2003/2004 and was fit for purpose right up to 2009/2010, however now they are quite poor for modern F1. Im sure that other series are watching this as when more series that have KERS go to Barcelona will be wanting to know if there is a specific safety breach or not.

The reports after this will be interesting to read, if they are released.

myurr

Forgive my ignorance, but how would sprinklers play with KERS and / or electrical fires? Are they always a good idea?

bhall

I, too, wondered why there didn't seem to be any response from an integrated fire suppression system, but put it down to perhaps a lack of agreement over what said system should be. Water is the last thing you want to put on a KERS fire, not to mention the damage in can cause as a result of a false alarm. Halon, and other compounds, are great for putting out most types of fires, but they're not always compatible with life or metal fires.

So what do you do?