2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gerhard Berger

Re: 2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999 wrote:Yeap - as I stated in my opening post :lol:

What undercut, btw?
Yep sorry, just seen that :oops:

When the front runners pitted for soft tyres, it seems that it took some time for them to get up to temperature. Hence, Alonso was able to pass Hamilton. Normally, it is whoever pits first makes the gain.

raymondu999

Oh you meant pitstop/new tyre undercut - I thought you were talking of some sidepod undercut! lol

Yes that's true. That was because the temperature dropped though, making it hard for those folks to get heat into the tyres. Heck even Vettel (on 30-lap-old softs) was lapping quicker than Webber with new softs on the same car, by virtue of retaining heat already generated off the line. Remains to be seen if such an issue will show its face here though. I sincerely hope not.

Mind you the pitstop undercut issue might not even be necessary around Canada. It's quite a circuit for overtaking, so I think generally if you have pace, you'll overtake. I suspect most teams will just go for their quickest theoretical race rather than covering pitstops etc, unless you're someone like Red Bull and have a massive straightline deficit.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ced381

The "Anonymous" pirate group threatened the Canadian GP this morning. They stated that they'll publicly release credit card and personal infos from people who bought their tickets online. I'm seriously considering not buying them this year... F**k...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/34627 ... ntreal.htm

Btw Montreal isn't our "provincial capital", Quebec city is.
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Gridlock

Couldn't anonymous do something useful and get us a copy of Concorde, or this year's active TDs, or the schematics to Bernie's "go slow" control panel? We could let Williams win another one then :D

MuseF1

I can't see why 'anonymous' would do that. they normally target government departments and corporations, i dont understnd why they would suddenly start targeting regular people attending the event. It'd be more like anonymous to target FIA,FOM that sort of thing

Speedster

MuseF1 wrote:I can't see why 'anonymous' would do that. they normally target government departments and corporations, i dont understnd why they would suddenly start targeting regular people attending the event. It'd be more like anonymous to target FIA,FOM that sort of thing
Self-entitlement. They think they're "in their right" because they are fighting for a good cause. You see it with every protest group, they think they are addressing the most important issue in the world and think they will get the support of everyone regardless what they do.

zyphro

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:If they were racing in Canada today I would say we would probably see a Mercedes or Lotus on the pole with Lewis just behind them. But they're not. Lots of teams are bringing updates to Montreal so I honestly think it's impossible to know who will start P1.

I think it's a safe bet the aforementioned teams will be there, but McLaren could bring a large update that puts them ahead of Mercedes and Lotus. Ferrari could bring a package that puts them in serious contention. Sauber & Williams too. It's all about the developments and how much they improve the car. I just think nothings set in stone obviously and while Merc & Lotus will more than likely be two of the fastest cars, the updates from some of the others could surprise us.
Well if you want to talk about updates, Merc introduced a significant update (in Monaco) which seemed to work very well.

zyphro

raymondu999 wrote:
Mind you the pitstop undercut issue might not even be necessary around Canada. It's quite a circuit for overtaking, so I think generally if you have pace, you'll overtake. I suspect most teams will just go for their quickest theoretical race rather than covering pitstops etc, unless you're someone like Red Bull and have a massive straightline deficit.
+1

godlameroso

Thoughts on who will be strong here? Definitely Mercedes with the long straights, Lotus perhaps? McLaren, and Hamilton are overdue for another victory, and he is very good around here. I don't see Red Bull or Ferrari being very fast around here, although I could be wrong.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

To memory, Lotus and Mercedes have had the quickest speedtrap figures all the way through, so could be strong here. While the McLaren apparently hasn't got great mechanical grip, it has a great front end - you can see that from Lewis' and even Jenson's on boards, and that's definitely a boon in short slow corners - you could just twist the car quickly and power out, and I think McLaren will be very strong here - and probably Lewis+McLaren will be the package to beat.

Ferrari and Red Bull have somewhat rubbish speedtrap figures - but I'm not too sure on writing them off. After all Vettel and Alonso were the front row sitters last year.

I think Felipe could be on for a good result - he was strong last year in qualifying and the race.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

schumifan

I would give anything for Schumacher do do the stuff in Canada - you get the instictive feeling he is ready to start going very well - and with the configuration of the track and how it should suit the merc you never know - i personally feel confident he will qualify near or at the front and will be on the podium - usually once schumi gets a sniff that is it.

where is this website based, UK? Cannot believe Canada GP it is not on BBC live.

Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:To memory, Lotus and Mercedes have had the quickest speedtrap figures all the way through, so could be strong here. While the McLaren apparently hasn't got great mechanical grip, it has a great front end - you can see that from Lewis' and even Jenson's on boards, and that's definitely a boon in short slow corners - you could just twist the car quickly and power out, and I think McLaren will be very strong here - and probably Lewis+McLaren will be the package to beat.

Ferrari and Red Bull have somewhat rubbish speedtrap figures - but I'm not too sure on writing them off. After all Vettel and Alonso were the front row sitters last year.

I think Felipe could be on for a good result - he was strong last year in qualifying and the race.
In Spain, Ferrari were only 1 kmph off the Mercedes top speed in qualifying, and 3mph off the Macs. I think top speed has improved and hopefully will improve further with the package we bring to Montreal. Red Bull is the one who has the particularly low speed trap figures, but they seemed to have figured out a good low downforce configuration last year (something they were not able to do in 2010), so again we will have to wait and see what kind of package they bring.

Agree on Massa - if he didn't lengthen his final qualifying lap by several metres he might well have outqualified Alonso. He was also giving Alonso a hard time in the early part of the race.

dren

Merc's DDRS should give them more of an edge in Canada. That coupled with their new updates should put them in contention for the win. I expect Lotus to be in the mix along with Ferrari. It's hard telling where Mclaren will end up. Perhaps Maldonado will be up there too.
Honda!

Speedster

dren wrote:Merc's DDRS should give them more of an edge in Canada. That coupled with their new updates should put them in contention for the win. I expect Lotus to be in the mix along with Ferrari. It's hard telling where Mclaren will end up. Perhaps Maldonado will be up there too.
I wouldn't bet on Maldonado, but I'm seriously considering betting for the first time, for Mercedes to win the race. Their updates look very promising, they do have a fast car and they seem to have sorted out the tyres. I don't think Ferrari will be there yet, and Kimi needs to up his game in qualifying to make a chance. I'm sorry, but I don't see McLaren being in serious contention, it's incredible to see them being so complacent for the last few races, both in the factory, in testing and on the pit wall.

Crucial_Xtreme

Speedster wrote:
I wouldn't bet on Maldonado, but I'm seriously considering betting for the first time, for Mercedes to win the race. Their updates look very promising, they do have a fast car and they seem to have sorted out the tyres. I don't think Ferrari will be there yet, and Kimi needs to up his game in qualifying to make a chance. I'm sorry, but I don't see McLaren being in serious contention, it's incredible to see them being so complacent for the last few races, both in the factory, in testing and on the pit wall.
You don't see Ferrari being where yet? In contention? I think it's clear the Mugello/Spain updates really improved the F2012 and on any given weekend it's right there with the best of them on Sunday. The one lap pace of the F2012 is lacking for sure compared to some of the others, but on Sunday the race pace is equal to the best. Considering all of their updates so far have added performance to the car, I don't think Canada will be any different and expect them to be in contention for a podium spot. Just my opinion.

I think in Montreal is possibly where we see Lotus finally break through and win one. They have the best top speed on the grid and seem to have the best aero efficiency. But a poor update or cooler weather could prevent this. Mercedes will surely be strong as will McLaren. I think the question is how good will the Red Bull, Ferrari & Sauber be? Very interesting GP weekend coming up. Especially with all the protest crap going about.