Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
xpensive

Re: Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

donskar wrote:This sie was once a fun place to visit and discuss a wide range of topics related to F1. It was free wheeling, vibrant, full of give and take. Now, it seems stiff and sterile. Sad.
More like dead if you ask me, unless you consider those endless fanboy arguments life?

And when the mods take away your votes for having the wrong opinion, it's no fun anymore.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ajdavison2

Not to spray petrol on the fire as such, but I'm unclear as to what this is about. Just so I don't accidently make the mistake in a thread; are we referring to nicknames for the drivers? or for other members of the forum or what?

Pup
Pup

Frankly, it's about time we ended this nickname foolishness, as it shows nothing but utter disrespect for the both sport and it's participants. No, people, it's not Macca, nor is it McLaren - it's Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, thank you; and it's not Hammy, nor "The Boss" - and it's certainly not Lewis, to those of you who want to pretend that you're best friends with the gentleman.

Mr. Hamilton, if you don't mind.

And if it's possible for our esteemed moderators to hand out lashings for these disrespectful nicknames - real ones, not the tongue variety - I would be quite pleased. Quite please indeed.

Sincerely,

Mr. Pup, esq.

CMSMJ1

Pup wrote:Frankly, it's about time we ended this nickname foolishness, as it shows nothing but utter disrespect for the both sport and it's participants. No, people, it's not Macca, nor is it McLaren - it's Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, thank you; and it's not Hammy, nor "The Boss" - and it's certainly not Lewis, to those of you who want to pretend that you're best friends with the gentleman.

Mr. Hamilton, if you don't mind.

And if it's possible for our esteemed moderators to hand out lashings for these disrespectful nicknames - real ones, not the tongue variety - I would be quite pleased. Quite please indeed.

Sincerely,

Mr. Pup, esq.

Dear Sir,

I might draw your noble attention to the correct use of the term - esquire.

It is not correct for a gentleman such as your august self to refer to one as "Mr Pedant, Esquire"

It is proper to be either - Mr Pedant, or, if you are more common, Pedant, Esquire.

I am at your service,
Honourably pedantic,
M.

:D

On topic - specifically - it is the lame banter aimed at our large jawed south american friend that seems to stick in my gullet.

Keep that out of a technical forum - which is what this place is, has been, should be in the future and all the better for it.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Pup
Pup

Do forgive my ignorance. I am but a poorly educated bumpkin from Tennessee.

Sadly,
Mr. Pup

Steven
Owner

xpensive wrote:More like dead if you ask me, unless you consider those endless fanboy arguments life?
Dead it isn't. And if you have a problem with fanboy things, then surely you can't have a problem with us trying to reduce the nicknaming. I have no problem with a one-time use to demonstrate something, but other than that, systematic use does not add anything.
xpensive wrote:And when the mods take away your votes for having the wrong opinion, it's no fun anymore.
When did that happen? Perhaps this post explains why you got downvoted here and there, but certainly not for having an opinion.
ajdavison2 wrote:Not to spray petrol on the fire as such, but I'm unclear as to what this is about. Just so I don't accidently make the mistake in a thread; are we referring to nicknames for the drivers? or for other members of the forum or what?
This is about nicknames for team members and drivers, such as "the boss", "teflonso", "the hutt", blablabla. A few times is ok for me, but "the boss" got used by the Hamilton fans excessively to express his supremacy, and then "teflonso" had another connotation. We can actually go on for a few hours looking up all nicknames.

ajdavison2

So are abbreviations Acceptable? Eg. HAM, VET, ALO?

xpensive

Tomba wrote: ...
xpensive wrote:And when the mods take away your votes for having the wrong opinion, it's no fun anymore.
When did that happen? Perhaps this post explains why you got downvoted here and there, but certainly not for having an opinion.
Come on Steven, you have systematically deducted my tally of votes whenever I post something you dislike, you did it just the other day when I preferred another definition of pull- and push-rods than yours, you even PMd me about it, remember?

marcush.

Tomba wrote:- First of all, this earned SeijjaKeissen a third warning, so he's out for a week. It was a kind request and I have not deleted or modified any posts in this respect (except for one, in which case the poster was PM'ed). People who have been here long enough know that there have been requests by both richard_leeds and mx_tifoso to tone down on the nicknames.

- Team threads are not for comedy. It is acceptable to some extent, but the MercedesAMG thread is ridiculous in this aspect and has driven away all fans. Some posts were hence moved to the famous off-topic thread.

- Finally, we have indeed been threatened several times, but that should not grant the use of nicknames. It really had nothing to do with that.
Sorry I do not get your point.
If my use of nicknames drives away all fans I can assure you your policy of reprimanding my friends here is driving me away.
It may or may not be useful to use Nicknames and I have not yet got the impression it was unjustified or unintentionally disrespectful.THE WHOLE USE of Nicknames in the context of Team MGP is meant to express the loss of respect for all the
lead figures .It´s nothing more as an emphasis on my perception of the quality of their work-represented in the results and official statements communicated to the public.It is nothing more as my opinion about their "success2 story after spending
say 800mill€ in three years and still expanding their open points list.
I´m angry with MGP and this whole Nickname saga is getting to me as well ...

I vote for instant deleteing of that voting system -I cannot see any benefits .

FoxHound

Marcush, I don't mean to criticise, but do you know how arrogant that post sounds?
JET set

xpensive

Is it just me, or is someone cruising for a job as moderator here?

strad

For heavens sake...International broadcasters call Lewis, Louise and Fernando, Fred...is there really something wrong with calling Jenson Jens? Come on...none of them is gonna sue anyone. That's a paper tiger.
As long as it's not derogatory it should be of no concern to the powers that be at F1Tech.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FoxHound

xpensive wrote:Is it just me, or is someone cruising for a job as moderator here?
Not at all. But it doesn't take a genius to click on your username and see the reasons behind the moderators decisions.
Maybe some self moderation, some, would help alleviate the situation rather than use the forum to vent your spleen?
JET set

strad

boy if I ever needed a downvote in this thread... :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

FoxHound wrote:
xpensive wrote:Is it just me, or is someone cruising for a job as moderator here?
Not at all. But it doesn't take a genius to click on your username and see the reasons behind the moderators decisions.
Maybe some self moderation, some, would help alleviate the situation rather than use the forum to vent your spleen?
Perhaps you're just doing some volunteer work then?