Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
bhall

Re: Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

This forum needs a kiddie pool (along with a technical moderator and the removal of the giant oak tree whose branches have managed to lodge themselves into the rectums of the uptight).

Dragonfly

I think some of you are overreacting and swinging to the opposite extreme.
This is a BB, a place to exchange views with other people from different parts of the world. This is not the UN, nor is a diplomatic event. We use common everyday language and to the extent of our knowledge of English for those of us to whom it is not a primary one.
Therefore I don't think using a nickname, a short version, whatever is a great problem alone by itself. Many of those are brought fro other places, from media or even from the official broadcasting - HAM, DIR, ALO, etc.
I see the problem when threads that are supposed to be more strictly technical and focused on a particular subject get flooded with some fantasy chat, sometimes a bit enigmatic to those who haven't followed closely.
Sometimes words of frustration slip out of one's keyboard, myself included, but this must be an exclusion rather than the rule.
Since I discovered this forum for myself, it's been a place where I usually come to look for technical insight. And it's a pity I don't see some people who used to post about technical matters.

As a side note: If I could, I'd immediately turn off the voting system.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Steven
Owner

ajdavison2 wrote:So are abbreviations Acceptable? Eg. HAM, VET, ALO?
Of course!
xpensive wrote:
Tomba wrote: ...
xpensive wrote:And when the mods take away your votes for having the wrong opinion, it's no fun anymore.
When did that happen? Perhaps this post explains why you got downvoted here and there, but certainly not for having an opinion.
Come on Steven, you have systematically deducted my tally of votes whenever I post something you dislike, you did it just the other day when I preferred another definition of pull- and push-rods than yours, you even PMd me about it, remember?
Well, since you want to make another argument in public. I have made ONE single downvote for you in the last 32 days, and that was a post where you have to refer to Montezemolo as Montezouma. If you find it necessary to compare Luca with a corrupt, suppressive African dictator, than you need a splash of cold water over your head.
strad wrote:For heavens sake...International broadcasters call Lewis, Louise and Fernando, Fred...is there really something wrong with calling Jenson Jens? Come on...none of them is gonna sue anyone. That's a paper tiger.
As long as it's not derogatory it should be of no concern to the powers that be at F1Tech.
All allowed. What I have a problem with is "montezouma", "teflonso", "the boss". Just imagine if everyone would start naming Maldonado as crashonado. It's kind of funny when reading it a few times, but it's hardly going to encourage useful and calm debate when used repetitively.
marcush. wrote:...I´m angry with MGP and this whole Nickname saga is getting to me as well ...
And we all know what anger does to a discussion...

marcush.

don´t worry Steve -I´m not like that .
But recent experience makes me wonder if there is danger ahead?

xpensive

Tomba wrote: ...
Well, since you want to make another argument in public. I have made ONE single downvote for you in the last 32 days, and that was a post where you have to refer to Montezemolo as Montezouma. If you find it necessary to compare Luca with a corrupt, suppressive African dictator, than you need a splash of cold water over your head.
I guess history was not your forte in school Steven? Anyway, I don't need this, I'm out, thank you.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Cam

From the Forum Rules:
Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5009

I try to search for specific information on this forum and cannot find it thanks to people using nicknames. It's not really helping me and the continual poor methods of naming do not respect me (as a user) or other users trying to use this forum as a key information source.

People don't search for 'macca' they search for "McLaren' to give an example. All the great information I can't find thanks to people who don't consider others. As always, try to look at both sides of the coin and try to help others by providing relevant and useful information.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Paul

Tomba wrote:
... Just imagine if everyone would start naming Maldonado as crashonado. ...
I believe the correct term to be Malfunctionado... :mrgreen:

phillippe

I have lurked on this forum for eons before registering some time back. I have made a grand contribution of one post so far! I follow both technical threads as well as team threads. I make an attempt to understand the former, though as a corporate lawyer, I am not always successful, and obviously, cannot even pretend to make a value add to any technical thread.

The mods have always strived to keep the technical threads clean, and rightly so, given the overall focus of this forum. To that extent, members have been advised to limit general information and banter to team threads. So, to the extent general banter, humour, including nicknames and friendly jibes are limited to team threads, does that take away anything from this forum? Would that hinder anyone searching for technical information on this forum?

A lot has been said about losing very valuable contributors over the years. Yes, no doubt the kilcoos, scarbs and 747s would have found this forum unappealing during the flaming heydays of islamatrons, segs and wbs in the technical threads. However, posts of those sorts have disappeared from this forum. If any such valuable contributors are keeping away from this forum today, it is more likely to be because of dubious assertions made on technical threads without any basis (such as RB-7's domination last season being owed to an aggregation of ellipses on the car). In my view, the mods should focus more on stuff like that rather than harmless banter or fantasy chats on team threads.

Why can't the team threads be as it is? I do not agree that nicknames do not have repeat value; I still find references to fred and bulk amusing :D I agree it doesn't add any value to a post, but is an obvious value addition necessary for all posts in a non-technical thread? So long as a non-technical thread attracts enough readers, be it on account of spirited discussions, humour, rhetoric or sarcasm (without the thread degenerating into a pf1 thread), isn't that worthy enough to be retained as is?

Every reader would understand the spirit of the conversations in the Mercedes team thread that spawned this conversation. Time and again, certain fans have gotten a bit too sensitive, which may have triggered this reaction from the mods. However, in any event most of the reasoning and discussions in that thread (both by fans and detractors) were based on conjecture that cannot be proved either which way. From that perspective, is there anything ridiculous about the use of nicknames in that thread even if it was repetitive or the person using nicknames opinionated?

phillippe

That post was not intended to offend any member (or the mods). Even where names were used, it was only meant to be illustrative. Due apologies to munudeges and WB if they're still around.

strad

that post seems right on!!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pierce89

strad wrote:that post seems right on!!
absolutely!! I'd +1 Phillipe if this thread allowed it.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

marcush.

Nothing to add there it reflects perfectly my own views .The use of nicknames is amusing and lightening the sour grapes we are discussing in the team threads ..especially MGP.
I personally can also live very well with some posters tendency to make a mickey of me or others ..nothing more or less I would be happy to deal with in the real world.
I ´m quite surprised and amazed by the rude and totally inacceptable levels of conversation one can find in german forums
(motorsport and other) so I´might be too mellow due to not being able to understand english.. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

munudeges

xpensive wrote:Come on Steven, you have systematically deducted my tally of votes whenever I post something you dislike, you did it just the other day when I preferred another definition of pull- and push-rods than yours, you even PMd me about it, remember?
Sounds very familiar sadly, as are the PMs.

Pierce89

FoxHound wrote:Marcush, I don't mean to criticise, but do you know how arrogant that post sounds?
I saw no arrogance at all. Marcus is probably the most informative member left here.(BillW excluded, but he's not around a whole lot.)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

SeijaKessen

marcush. wrote:Nothing to add there it reflects perfectly my own views .The use of nicknames is amusing and lightening the sour grapes we are discussing in the team threads ..especially MGP.
I personally can also live very well with some posters tendency to make a mickey of me or others ..nothing more or less I would be happy to deal with in the real world.
I ´m quite surprised and amazed by the rude and totally inacceptable levels of conversation one can find in german forums
(motorsport and other) so I´might be too mellow due to not being able to understand english.. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Interesting how this was taken out of the MGP topic, and given it's own dedicated thread.

There was nothing wrong with what I said. I've noticed in a few weeks time, parts of this message board have already descended into the true realm of the fanboys. Yet the concern is over what myself and xpensive chose to call a few people in F1.

I truly believe the humor of some here is completely broken. It reminds me of Robert Plant's ad-lib in "Stairway to Heaven"... ♫ Do you remember laughter?

Ross the Toss, the 3 kings, Elliot Ness, The Rat, Flavor Flav, Ron the Con, Montezuma, Max the Masochist, Major Tom, Norby the Hutt, the Italian Stallion, and so on...they all serve a purpose. They are meant to be verbal caricatures of people. I suspect those who find it offensive, or inappropriate don't spend their time writing letters to newspapers complaining about caricatures. If people were not so willing to accept what all of these men --dead and alive-- have said over the years, F1 would have been kept a bit more honest.