Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
strad

Re: Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

Hear Hear
Ya know, in most of life, IF, you get a nickname, and some people actually desire a nick, you don't get to decide that name. Do you think Niki got to decide to be called the "Rat"? Do ya think my friend "Skinny" really liked it the first 5 or 10 years? :lol: Nah,,,Ya just get them hung on ya and you or your friends have nuthin to say about it.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

AlpineF1

Its annoying when they call Hamilton the boss but the rest of them apart from Crashdanaldo seem fine to me, but i certainly wouldn't call the forum dead its teeming with brilliant minds and interesting projects and i have made some great friends and cmon you cant bash the forum you visit most regularly. :D
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

NewtonMeter

I get the distinct impression that a lot of you, and lets be honest, this is coming from the Merc thread, don't get "humour" - currently a favourite excuse for the shenanigans that happened in the Merc thread.

Humour is when fun is poked at a particular topic and all finds it funny (or, at the very least, few find it offensive in some way). What was happening in there was a select few having a laugh at the expense of the team and by association their fans. This is definitely not humour. Some posters even admitted disliking the team and enjoying themselves watching the team suffer. That admission is should be enough for any clear minded and logical thinking individual to realose what went down was certainly not friendly banter.

The nicknames in isolation are harmless. The problem was both with the repetitiveness and the undercurrant of mockery.

And that was the problem. The tone was not of jesting. It was of mocking a team in trouble. How anyone can be surprised that they got a bad reaction from the fans, when mocking a struggling team in the team thread should wake up.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

SeijaKessen

NewtonMeter wrote:I get the distinct impression that a lot of you, and lets be honest, this is coming from the Merc thread, don't get "humour" - currently a favourite excuse for the shenanigans that happened in the Merc thread.

Humour is when fun is poked at a particular topic and all finds it funny (or, at the very least, few find it offensive in some way). What was happening in there was a select few having a laugh at the expense of the team and by association their fans. This is definitely not humour. Some posters even admitted disliking the team and enjoying themselves watching the team suffer. That admission is should be enough for any clear minded and logical thinking individual to realose what went down was certainly not friendly banter.

The nicknames in isolation are harmless. The problem was both with the repetitiveness and the undercurrant of mockery.

And that was the problem. The tone was not of jesting. It was of mocking a team in trouble. How anyone can be surprised that they got a bad reaction from the fans, when mocking a struggling team in the team thread should wake up.
Humor is not meant to appeal to all Newton.

You don't have to like, or agree with everything myself, xpensive, marcus, and bhall have said.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:
donskar wrote:This sie was once a fun place to visit and discuss a wide range of topics related to F1. It was free wheeling, vibrant, full of give and take. Now, it seems stiff and sterile. Sad.
More like dead if you ask me, unless you consider those endless fanboy arguments life?
And when the mods take away your votes for having the wrong opinion, it's no fun anymore.
I have been away for some time because I did not agree with being censored and so I have missed some new developments. It sounds to me as if the new rating system is less brilliant than it was thought to be. At least I cannot see that is has actually promoted users and threads that give useful insights into technical matters and provide valuable knowledge according to the goals of this web site. I may be wrong but the impression is forming.

Regarding nick names I think it is all a matter of the general attitude users display. A bit of everything can be healthy but if you use nick names to campaign and spread hate I would agree with Tomba in trying to curb it. I like a lively debate and I hope the forum will find a good balance on both issues of mod interference and the use of nick names.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pierce89

Cam wrote:From the Forum Rules:
Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5009

I try to search for specific information on this forum and cannot find it thanks to people using nicknames. It's not really helping me and the continual poor methods of naming do not respect me (as a user) or other users trying to use this forum as a key information source.

People don't search for 'macca' they search for "McLaren' to give an example. All the great information I can't find thanks to people who don't consider others. As always, try to look at both sides of the coin and try to help others by providing relevant and useful information.
Indulge in self pity much? This might be a "technical" forum, but its not your reference library. I find your post to be disrespectful of others through condescension. I'm sorry you couldn't find the info you wanted, but using "macca" , or Norby is far from being disrespectful of other users. Playful light hearted joking about a team could only be disrespectful to people who forget this is just a sport. We all love F1, but its no more important in life than a football game.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

DaveKillens

What an interesting thread. Sad, but interesting.

I'm not going to pretend to paraphrase the mods or tell anyone what to do, but I do know that this "F1Technical" web site is a labor of love for a few, and they have a broad concept of what it is supposed to be, and what it is supposed to accomplish.

If you enter a church during Mass wearing a clown costume and blasting offensive rap music from a ghetto blaster, expect to be censured because it's inappropriate for the time and location.

And that same common sense applies here, the mods desire to create and maintain a certain atmosphere and environment. Personally, I have no problem following the rules and wishes of the mods. This "F1Technical" is not for all things in Formula One, it's designed to deal with a specific sector of that sport.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Cam

Pierce89 wrote:
Cam wrote:From the Forum Rules:
Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5009

I try to search for specific information on this forum and cannot find it thanks to people using nicknames. It's not really helping me and the continual poor methods of naming do not respect me (as a user) or other users trying to use this forum as a key information source.

People don't search for 'macca' they search for "McLaren' to give an example. All the great information I can't find thanks to people who don't consider others. As always, try to look at both sides of the coin and try to help others by providing relevant and useful information.
Indulge in self pity much? This might be a "technical" forum, but its not your reference library. I find your post to be disrespectful of others through condescension. I'm sorry you couldn't find the info you wanted, but using "macca" , or Norby is far from being disrespectful of other users. Playful light hearted joking about a team could only be disrespectful to people who forget this is just a sport. We all love F1, but its no more important in life than a football game.
That's a bit harsh Pierce89 and the personal attack is not needed.
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are at least temporarily archived.
The key point here is archived. F1 Technical is a critical reference source for many many people from all walks of life. Yes, some people just get on here and whinge and complain for no good reason other than to be a nuisance and being a discussion board, that's par for the course, however, to fail to see that it is also a massive online data storage system with a fairly comprehensive search ability - would indeed classify it as a reference library and a rather massive one at that.

As F1 Technical forum users, we all should try to help each other for a common good - that's the respect part. Something which in all the arguing over whether its suitable or not, has been overlooked. No one is saying you can't have humour, or fun, or have light hearted posts, but 'remain respectful' of ALL the users that use this forum - and all the many and varied reason they use it. It might not be just my 'personal reference library', but's its also not your 'personal attack platform'. Just because you don't use it a reference, doesn't mean thousands else don't.

I'll try to widen my search keywords. I wonder if you'll also try to accommodate?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Richard

DaveKillens wrote:If you enter a church during Mass wearing a clown costume and blasting offensive rap music from a ghetto blaster, expect to be censured because it's inappropriate for the time and location.
That's a great analogy, thank you.

I think this thread need a little context. Tomba's comment was triggered by the Merc thread. In particular the outbreak of creative writing such as this post :arrow: viewtopic.php?p=374431#p374431

Pages of anti-Merc tirades in the form of pantomime is not what this forum is meant to be about.

bhall

richard_leeds wrote:[...]

Pages of anti-Merc tirades in the form of pantomime is not what this forum is meant to be about.
Are they anti-Mercedes tirades? Or are they anti-those-who-sully-the-Mercedes-name tirades?

With only a few exceptions - me, for one - the Mercedes thread is populated by Mercedes fans who've simply grown tired of waiting for potential to become reality., and cracking jokes is their way of making the best of an unfortunate situation.

Let's not forget that this is supposed to be a game, and games are supposed to be fun.

FoxHound

@bhall

F1 is not a game, it's a business. And business is not really "fun" now is it?
As for the team thread, it is actually very sparsely populated by Mercedes fans. By choice in most cases.
Because if you look at the team thread, it is deluged by Schumacher's minions who love to bash the team at every turn.
Some will even put of the purchase of a merc in favour of another brand!! :lol:
That's just immature sillyness.
And immature sillyness is not what this site is about? Or maybe you could explain your reasoning deeper?
JET set

Steven
Owner

Pierce89 wrote:Indulge in self pity much? This might be a "technical" forum, but its not your reference library. I find your post to be disrespectful of others through condescension. I'm sorry you couldn't find the info you wanted, but using "macca" , or Norby is far from being disrespectful of other users. Playful light hearted joking about a team could only be disrespectful to people who forget this is just a sport. We all love F1, but its no more important in life than a football game.
Pierce, your first sentence is exactly what we don't need here. There's no need at all to attack posters, and it is in fact out of line and well out of the boundaries of the rules. You've been here long enough to know that.

Secondly, for some, Formula One is much more than a sport. For everyone working in motorsport for instance it is life, it's their jobs, their passion. For me too, it is much more than just a sport, and certainly much more important than the xth football game. Again, here, it would be nice to just stand still on how others feel or think about F1.

Thirdly, I am relieved to see that some are getting where I'm coming from with my request. It is not my, nor the other mods' intention to ban humor, but in the Mercedes AMG thread it was all getting a bit too much.

bhall

FoxHound wrote:F1 is not a game, it's a business. And business is not really "fun" now is it?
[...]
Tomba wrote:[...]

Secondly, for some, Formula One is much more than a sport. For everyone working in motorsport for instance it is life, it's their jobs, their passion. For me too, it is much more than just a sport, and certainly much more important than the xth football game. Again, here, it would be nice to just stand still on how others feel or think about F1.

[...]
You're deluding yourself if you, or anyone else, thinks this is anything other than a game. F1 is not curing cancer; it's not brokering world peace; it's not solving global warming. Hell, it rarely even makes good business sense.

F1 is a bunch of overgrown children playing with really fast and really expensive toys. That's all it's ever been, and it will never, ever, ever be any different.

I think those who give this game undeserved gravitas would be well served if they took a deep breath and tried to gain a little perspective here. F1 has one job and one job only: to entertain. That's it. To take any of this personally is just plain unhealthy.

Richard

bhallg2k wrote:F1 is a bunch of overgrown children playing with really fast and really expensive toys. That's all it's ever been, and it will never, ever, ever be any different.

I think those who give this game undeserved gravitas would be well served if they took a deep breath and tried to gain a little perspective here. F1 has one job and one job only: to entertain. That's it. To take any of this personally is just plain unhealthy.
I agree. Which is why I have to admit that I struggle to understand why people get so worked up supporting a team, dismissing a team, or bickering with other members.

Ciro had some thoughts on this too ....
Ciro Pabón wrote:
"Yes, I'm a member of the team. Actually, I'm the most important member of the team: I'm the fan base.

I'm the very reason of their existance, the only person that, in this wide world, worries about if they live or they die. I'm a McLaren fanboy and I'm proud of it. Actually, at the next race, I'll carry a T-shirt with those words emblazoned, and there is a little shield in my car that says that I dare to support somebody besides myself. Got that?"

That kind of person could add: "I'm their master and the most thoroughgoing supervisor they have. Heck, I have opened an account at Santander and I have told them that I opened it because they support McLaren."

Of course, I would never say that.

As you know well, I'm not into supporting a team. That is, unless FIA (finally!... if you ask me) get into the grid a team from the Americas.

That'll be the day I´ll post something about my team in this very thread. Btw, thanks, Breezy, you're very kind, but the thread title is all yours.

So, fanboys of the world, unite! Finally, you have a thread in this solitary net where you can talk wonders of your team and it's at F1 Technical (ehem). Get out of the closet, guys.

Just do me a favor: don't get angry, ok? Be positive, it will be easier for all of us (double ehem).

Oh, I almost forgot to say thanks to the people that pushed the report button.

FoxHound

@bhall

Delusional? I think not my pedigree chum. Last I checked china, India, turkey etc weren't exactly too excited to have a game played in their back yard. So what was f1 doing there? Being good sports to put on a good show? :lol:
Our definition of games clearly differ.
What draws me to f1 is the development war. Who can think up what. Some like drivers, others like teams. But in the end it's all a business. It's unequivocal.
JET set