Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
NewtonMeter

Re: Please refrain from using nicknames as much as possible

SeijaKessen wrote:
Humor is not meant to appeal to all Newton.

You don't have to like, or agree with everything myself, xpensive, marcus, and bhall have said.
Granted, humour is not meant to appeal to all. Neither is meant to offend and antagonise. Mocking however, that's a different. That is when one party humours itself at the expense of others. That's what was happening.

As I've said before, we all realise the team threads aren't neccesarily there for their fans to hi five each other about how great their team is. But if fans of the team are leaving left-right-and centre because they can't stand other members mocking them and their team, then there's a problem.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

SeijaKessen

DaveKillens wrote:What an interesting thread. Sad, but interesting.

I'm not going to pretend to paraphrase the mods or tell anyone what to do, but I do know that this "F1Technical" web site is a labor of love for a few, and they have a broad concept of what it is supposed to be, and what it is supposed to accomplish.

If you enter a church during Mass wearing a clown costume and blasting offensive rap music from a ghetto blaster, expect to be censured because it's inappropriate for the time and location.

And that same common sense applies here, the mods desire to create and maintain a certain atmosphere and environment. Personally, I have no problem following the rules and wishes of the mods. This "F1Technical" is not for all things in Formula One, it's designed to deal with a specific sector of that sport.
F1 is not a church Dave.

Those who wish to treat the sport as an altar to worship at, are the sort of lunatics that give individual teams bad names among all sports.

But, you know, your analogy is sort of appropriate. Sport is the new religion in the world, and as such, we see fanboys doing battle everywhere over any perceived slight to the good name of "their" driver. Irrationality reigns supreme in such an environment. Things are blindly accepted without the slightest hesitation. The inquisitive mind is stifled.

Listen Dave, too many people accord sports a status of which it is not deserving.

It's entertainment at the end of the day, and not really that important when one looks at life as a whole. I say that as someone who whose entire reason for having cable TV is to watch sports.

The problem with your last bit about the need/desire to maintain a certain environment here is hollow at best given how xpensive was treated, and others have been.

You guys ever wonder what one of the reasons is that manchild no longer posts here?

Good posters have been alienated by that whole bit of needing to maintain a certain environment here. And really, that whole notion is sort of eyebrow raising when other things are allowed to continue.

Ground control to major Tom...

:wink:

SeijaKessen

NewtonMeter wrote:
SeijaKessen wrote:
Humor is not meant to appeal to all Newton.

You don't have to like, or agree with everything myself, xpensive, marcus, and bhall have said.
Granted, humour is not meant to appeal to all. Neither is meant to offend and antagonise. Mocking however, that's a different. That is when one party humours itself at the expense of others. That's what was happening.

As I've said before, we all realise the team threads aren't neccesarily there for their fans to hi five each other about how great their team is. But if fans of the team are leaving left-right-and centre because they can't stand other members mocking them and their team, then there's a problem.
I have looked at that MGP topic, and some of the "fans" posting at the moment, are of the irrational sort Newton. One poster implying that Ross Brawn was in charge of Benetton and Ferrari.

bhall

FoxHound wrote:@bhall

Delusional? I think not my pedigree chum. Last I checked china, India, turkey etc weren't exactly too excited to have a game played in their back yard. So what was f1 doing there? Being good sports to put on a good show? :lol:
Our definition of games clearly differ.
What draws me to f1 is the development war. Who can think up what. Some like drivers, others like teams. But in the end it's all a business. It's unequivocal.
Yes, delusional.

Anything that collects money is a business. The business of F1, along with every other entertainment venture conceived throughout the entirety of human history, is to provide fun. You wouldn't voluntarily show up to a stock exchange with a banner that read "GO BROKERS!!!" any more than you'd voluntarily show up to a grand prix if being there felt like work.

So, relax a little. Realize that nothing we say here is important, because the subjects we discuss aren't important. This is all supposed to be fun.

NewtonMeter

SeijaKessen wrote: I have looked at that MGP topic, and some of the "fans" posting at the moment, are of the irrational sort Newton. One poster implying that Ross Brawn was in charge of Benetton and Ferrari.
That is silly, give you that. But mocking the team for the ignorance of a member is not a civilised response. That in itself is irrational, wouldn't you agree?

It was downright unbearable in there. And not because the team is doing badly, but because it's being rubbed in the faces of their fans.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

phillippe

bhallg2k wrote:You wouldn't voluntarily show up to a stock exchange with a banner that read "GO BROKERS!!!"
Absolute gem to drive home the point! :D +1

FoxHound

@bhall

And yet this game is dictated where, what and how the show goes on by the business.
Why go to India, or china? For cash. Not for fans.
This fantasy realm that you delve in that everything will be ok "becuase it's a game" is fair enough if you accepted that first and foremost, it's a business.
Ferrari and Schumacher benefited most from this. Why? The technical veto specifically written into their Concorde agreement.
Why? Back then Ferrari and Schumacher winning was good business. Up to the point it failed to become good business, and the clause was rescinded.
The business dictates the game, more so than most "games".

And to be clear, f1 is closer to a sport, than a game. No harm no foul, just debate :)
JET set

bhall

I'm not going to get into an absurdly pedantic back-and-forth with you over this, because there's simply no middle ground. Moreover, you've missed the point entirely anyway.

I will say this, though: if you're not having fun with F1, it would probably behoove you to find something else to do with your spare time. Otherwise, taking something as insignificant as F1 seriously is bound to take years off your life, especially if you hang out around here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see if I can get tickets to the big AT&T board meeting. It's gonna be a doozie. I hear they might introduce a new conference table.

DaveKillens

SeijaKessen wrote:Ground control to major Tom...

:wink:
Thank you for the kind reply SeijaKessen, but I wasn't likening this forum to a church, just drawing an analogy concerning acting appropriate to the environment.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

FoxHound

Enjoy the meeting! But it seems if your on the board, you have a fair few ostriches with their heads jammed fairly hard under the table. They too will have missed the point of my post, as you.
F1 is entertainment. I'm entertained by it. I'm also relieved of a fair few quid to watch it(sky sports... Further HAMMERING my point... That I must PAY to watch it. No money? No F1 every 2nd race.)

How did you open this gambit again?

You must be (x) to think (y).

When you make silly sweeping statements the way I have noticed you do, expect a reaction. You may not like the reaction but I can't help feel that's why you make these statements.
To me F1 is a business, that sells a sport I enjoy. If you can't live with that, holler up AT&T and get them to buy F1 and make it an open series free to all(including promoters of venues). And sack the FIA by making the sport itself the vested interest... Not the pariticpants(particularly the favoured ones) Then I'll agree.
JET set

bhall

Never in a million years did I think someone would argue with me if I called motor racing a game. I've learned something new.

Now I wonder why none of the drivers have MBAs. An in-depth understanding of Keynesian economics has gotta be worth at least four tenths.

The "pinnacle of motorsport"? I think not!

Steven
Owner

Given that we're again far far away from this thread's topic, I guess we can close this.

Oh but one more thing... how about if this forum was initiated for people to be able to learn from and share with each other. Wouldn't that be a whole lot more interesting than "fun"?