BMW Sauber F1.07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RACKITUP

I "hear" that Renault were down to 0.003s gear changes, so with say...40 shifts a lap, that is a theoretical loss of 0.12 seconds a lap.

BMW's seamless shift could be quite significant, provided it is reliable. High expectations for BMW and Redbull over the coming two years

Tp
Tp

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:There is another type of gearbox though, not transverse, not longitudinal...I forget the name. I think maybe it begins with an "R". But it could be that.
Longitudinale Rovesciato

BreezyRacer

Boy, a lot of people really ragged on the Toyota for loking like the same old thing (I wasn't in that camp BTW) but this BMW and also the Williams look pretty uninspired to me.

i70q7m7ghw

The BMW has got a whole new front end, new monocoque, new nose, new front suspension. It also has a new engine cover and reworked sidepods...

... just look at it, compare it to the old car...

DarkSnape

shure.. and the air intake now it`s much large than predecesor

f1.redbaron

RACKITUP wrote:I "hear" that Renault were down to 0.003s gear changes, so with say...40 shifts a lap, that is a theoretical loss of 0.12 seconds a lap.

BMW's seamless shift could be quite significant, provided it is reliable. High expectations for BMW and Redbull over the coming two years
I thought that 0.003s was widely accepted as OK and anything less than that would constitute a seamless shift which is not allowed by the FIA. In other words, I thought that "seamless shift" was actually a "virtually seamless shift".

DarkSnape

check this out. good news for BMW first test .. "We’ve made gains"

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38273

pyry

darksnape, i dare yo to find me one single comment where a driver says "the new car sucks". if he says its already fast, it means its ok. if he says it seems to have potential, it means that its slow but hopefully they can find some speed.
four rings to rule them all

DarkSnape

Results
1. Fernando Alonso Team McLaren Mercedes 1m12.050 59
2. Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1m12.150 39
3. Sebastian Vettel BMW Sauber 1m12.563 111

this times r tottaly rong . tomorow Vettel will test. 2-nd was kubica and then Nick.

Sawtooth-spike

Good stuff the X wings are back
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

johny

@DarkSnape: just change Vettel -> Kubica

@Sawtooth-spike: No team wants to test with the two x wings teams

Sawtooth-spike

johny wrote:
@Sawtooth-spike: No team wants to test with the two x wings teams
Maybe they are using the Darkside?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

djones

"I "hear" that Renault were down to 0.003s gear changes, so with say...40 shifts a lap, that is a theoretical loss of 0.12 seconds a lap."

The way I look at it ....... The car does not stop moving when it's changing gear so the time saved will be nothing like 0.12 of a second.

i70q7m7ghw

The gain is tiny tbh, most of the fast shifting is done while slowing down so nothing gained there. Shifting up, well there are only a few areas on each track where the driver would be flat out and able to advantage of the near seamless shift...

scarbs

The gain for a seamless shift has been quoted by most teams as 0.2-0.3s per lap. Its not just the gain in actual shift time, but the smothness of the shift means drivers can up\down shift mid corner where previously the car would have been unsettled. Plus the engien lifts less so the flow throug the port sisnt slowed asmuch, this improves power take up after the shift.

BTW has anyone else seen the new front wing from the track testing of the car (not the launch or initial runs of the car), not just the blended cascades on the endplates but the two element wing with a slot moulded into the centre section of the flap forming a three element wing. Now thats clever use of CFD.

Scarbs