whats wrong with the renault engines?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pup
Pup

Re: whats wrong with the renault engines?

The latest from TJ13 won't be comforting to Red Bull fans...
Whilst each of the Renault customer teams have worries of their own which do not relate to the engine, TJ13 has discovered that the French F1 engine manufacturer now requires around 20 weeks to rectify the problems they are currently experiencing. This takes us up to the British Grand Prix.

Adrian Newey and Christian Horner are reportedly on their way back to Milton Keynes tonight as the scale of the crisis is becoming apparent to the F1 world. As Daniel Ricciardo commented, their guru car designer is literally returning to “the drawing board”.

Simply put, there are components in the Renault engine which will fail should it be pushed beyond around 75%. On top of this, the RB10 has cooling issues for the energy recovery systems, the engine and various other associated components.

Pup
Pup

langwadt wrote:
Pup wrote:They should just say that each manufacturer is allowed two updates within the first six months after the introduction of a new engine formula. They can do whatever they want in those updates - performance, reliability, whatever - but after that, they're stuck with what they've got.
The way I understand appendix 4 of the regulations is that each part of the power unit is assigned a number of points
and each year you can change parts for a maximum number of points, the number of points allowed go down each
year gradually freezing more and more
Didn't know that. That's probably a fair way to go about it.

dans79

Blackout wrote:
dans79 wrote: Everybody kept updating its engine between 2007 and 2013. Not only Renault. and Renault didnt really focus on power, they focussed on driveabity, consumption, cooling, intelligent mappings and exhaust blowing...
Besides that, the RS26, according to many insiders was one of the two most pwerful v8 in 2006, if not the most powerful when the RPM was unlimited...
of course everyone one has. I'm forgetting the exact numbers but Renault has had more, like this one for example.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82246

Any engineer worth what they get payed in F1 would be able to indirectly get small performance improvements approved.
197 104 103 7

dans79

Pup wrote:The latest from TJ13 won't be comforting to Red Bull fans...
Whilst each of the Renault customer teams have worries of their own which do not relate to the engine, TJ13 has discovered that the French F1 engine manufacturer now requires around 20 weeks to rectify the problems they are currently experiencing. This takes us up to the British Grand Prix.

Adrian Newey and Christian Horner are reportedly on their way back to Milton Keynes tonight as the scale of the crisis is becoming apparent to the F1 world. As Daniel Ricciardo commented, their guru car designer is literally returning to “the drawing board”.

Simply put, there are components in the Renault engine which will fail should it be pushed beyond around 75%. On top of this, the RB10 has cooling issues for the energy recovery systems, the engine and various other associated components.
Source?
197 104 103 7

rjsa

Ooooh boy...

AnthonyG

20 weeks, has anyone found some sort of confirmation for that number?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

munudeges

Blackout wrote:Everybody kept updating its engine between 2007 and 2013. Not only Renault. and Renault didnt really focus on power, they focussed on driveabity, consumption, cooling, intelligent mappings and exhaust blowing...
Renault had to move in other directions for performance because it was well known in the V8 era that they had a fundamental limitation with the engine that meant they lacked top end power. It was immediately apparent for Renault engined teams when they went to places like Monza and Spa versus other circuits. Red Bull managed to mitigate that through shorter gearing and some pretty impressive aerodynamics in later years.

Frankly, I'd be careful what you wish for around here........

Manoah2u

beelsebob wrote:Personally, I'd say they should just implement the freeze as specified.

If Renault produced a sucky engine, tough ***.
agree to a certain extend - yes, tough *** indeed, but that won't benefit f1's 'future' to be honest. but for the sake of 'fairness', i don't think it would be fair if renault should be allowed to 'fix issues' after the freeze because they themselves made a mess or didn't do their homework whilst others did. a solution imho that could be rather fair then would be to 'unfreeze' the freeze not just for renault to fix issues, but also for merc and ferrari and honda to work without freeze, until the deadline has set again and it's all freezed again.
that would be fair.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Pup wrote:The latest from TJ13 won't be comforting to Red Bull fans...

oh dear. so they're simply gonna make a total new engine if i get that right!? :shock: :wtf: #-o epical failure.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Daliracing

Manoah2u wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Personally, I'd say they should just implement the freeze as specified.

If Renault produced a sucky engine, tough ***.
agree to a certain extend - yes, tough *** indeed, but that won't benefit f1's 'future' to be honest. but for the sake of 'fairness', i don't think it would be fair if renault should be allowed to 'fix issues' after the freeze because they themselves made a mess or didn't do their homework whilst others did. a solution imho that could be rather fair then would be to 'unfreeze' the freeze not just for renault to fix issues, but also for merc and ferrari and honda to work without freeze, until the deadline has set again and it's all freezed again.
that would be fair.
i agree with that sounds fair i guess

Manoah2u

btw, if it indeed is correct the engine can't perform above 75%, and regarding the electronic [cooling] issues......and the said 20 weeks timescale......what will happen?

surely the teams cant run a faulty engine that can't perform above 75%? let's say the electrical issues are possible to fix before bahrain, and they can make a running car - if the 75% figure sticks, then they'll fall outside of the 107% rule so they can't even start !!

worst case scenario: the engines can't be fixed earlier then 20 weeks from now.....what will happen? :wtf:

Daliracing

Manoah2u wrote:btw, if it indeed is correct the engine can't perform above 75%, and regarding the electronic [cooling] issues......and the said 20 weeks timescale......what will happen?

surely the teams cant run a faulty engine that can't perform above 75%? let's say the electrical issues are possible to fix before bahrain, and they can make a running car - if the 75% figure sticks, then they'll fall outside of the 107% rule so they can't even start !!

worst case scenario: the engines can't be fixed earlier then 20 weeks from now.....what will happen? :wtf:
i'm also thinking of that, i hope they can fix it and the cars can actually start races. it would be sad to watch races with 8 cars less on the grid :wtf:

skoop

i guess then they a) won't race or b) they'll race and fight for end midfield positions. you can't punish the other manufactures for getting it right so there are not many things that can happen

Daliracing

skoop wrote:i guess then they a) won't race or b) they'll race and fight for end midfield positions. you can't punish the other manufactures for getting it right so there are not many things that can happen
thats true merc and ferrari can't do anything about the 'bad' form of renault atm. i just hope they can fix it so it can run well. the renault teams can't really develop their car atm