BMW Sauber F1.07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sawtooth-spike

that wing thing looks really good, its one of those little touchs that could make the differance, anybody able to model it, see what effect it has.

I have to say the BMW last year looked fat, this year its been down the gym and go fit.

Lets see if its faster
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Saribro

scarbs wrote:BTW has anyone else seen the new front wing from the track testing of the car (not the launch or initial runs of the car), not just the blended cascades on the endplates but the two element wing with a slot moulded into the centre section of the flap forming a three element wing. Now thats clever use of CFD.
This one?:

allan

scarbs wrote:BTW has anyone else seen the new front wing from the track testing of the car (not the launch or initial runs of the car), not just the blended cascades on the endplates but the two element wing with a slot moulded into the centre section of the flap forming a three element wing. Now thats clever use of CFD.
ya, i've always wondered why don't the front wings have such a design, or even the rear wings, but i thought maybe it was illegal or something :?: :roll:

johny

maybe albert2 is doing it's job the concept seems easy and usefull

kilcoo316

Did Jordan not try a similar idea with the EJ-13?

Or is that just a trick of light?

waynes

hmmm trick of light that by the looks of it

i could be wrong though

scarbs

Here you go guys, tech pics from Valencia

http://www.scarbsf1.com/php_gallery/mai ... itemId=472

checkered

I'm starting to think there's good a chance we might see

a very strong performance by BMW Sauber at Malaysia ... a good indication would be how reliably they can run the F1.07 at the tests there this week. Since Kovalainen and Hamilton are left to do the testing for their teams, Renault and McLaren hardly have any big changes on the way to Sepang (Though an experienced test driver, Kovy might be assumed to be better versed at making comparisons).

Given that BMW haven't thus far trusted their SSG completely and have run it in "fail-safe mode" (and still, fail it did for Kubica), if they managed to work out the remaining bugs they could gain full tenths per lap without resorting to any major design efforts. That kind of improvement is enough to put them practically on par with McLaren, perhaps emerging as the second best team behind Ferrari (should they continue their form).

There must be added incentive to do well in the home country of Petronas, too.
Last edited by checkered on 27 Mar 2007, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

tomislavp4

They really need to work a litle bit on that gearbox :twisted:

f1.redbaron

What I don't understand is how were they the second slowest team through a speed trap during the qualifying,

http://www.formula1.com/race/result/spe ... 70/24.html

while, at the same time, they seem to be the third best team on the grid. Do you guys think that in the hands of Raikkonen or Alonso that that car would've been able to win races?

checkered

Thought I'd post

this link, a video that shows some nice details of the F1.07. A bit outdated, I think, might be filmed around its launch. But anyway, you could waste two minutes in ways far worse than watching this. Enjoy, don't know for how long this link will work.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6&hl=en-GB
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

mx_tifoso

checkered wrote:Thought I'd post

this link, a video that shows some nice details of the F1.07. A bit outdated, I think, might be filmed around its launch. But anyway, you could waste two minutes in ways far worse than watching this. Enjoy, don't know for how long this link will work.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6&hl=en-GB
It's a pretty good video, I like where they focus on the rear suspension the most, and inside the cockpit. A good look into F1 cars that most would enjoy.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mx_tifoso

F1.07 Development (+technical drawings)
...the engine cover, front and rear wings, turning vanes and underbody - changed completely over the course of the season.
I aknowledge and understand how the engine cover, fr/rr wings, and turning vanes are constantly changed and modified throughout the season, but what is not shown to the general public is the development of the underbody. How does it change :?: What exactly is done to it? And isn't there a tighter restriction on this area of the car than on other areas? Or what did BMW exactly change to their underbody :?:

If someone could shed some more light on this issue I would very grateful.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Carlos

Yes- Specs are tightly controlled -ride/floor height, length of plank ect ... what they never show is behind this area - what kind of vanes?, the rear defuser?, vortex generators? - perhaps the most closely guarded secrets in F1. Notice you never see a picture from underneath a car when it's on stands? Totally intentional. Teams won't let anyone see, let alone take a picture. Perhaps if you look at some of the horrifc crashes from any season (with graphics enhancement) when the bottom is exposed....

I've only seen a couple of pictures anywhere. Yeah - Why don't they show us?

megz

R18 Pictures underneath for the pleasure of mechanics methinks....

Probably because every team has a very different set up and don't want other teams to be copying their ideas.