Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Bahrain agrees McLaren share sale to Dennis (Reuters)

“Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat has agreed to sell some of its stake in McLaren to the Formula One team’s overall head Ron Dennis, who is set to become the majority shareholder.”

I guess the drivers decision was after all also delayed by the ''background game'' for the ownership of the team
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

lebesset

bauc wrote:Bahrain agrees McLaren share sale to Dennis (Reuters)

“Bahrain’s sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat has agreed to sell some of its stake in McLaren to the Formula One team’s overall head Ron Dennis, who is set to become the majority shareholder.”

I guess the drivers decision was after all also delayed by the ''background game'' for the ownership of the team

little by little snippets appear

honda decide it is time to return ....in conjunction with McLaren who are keen to become a de facto works team again
honda want alonso who , at the time , is regarded as THE outstanding driver
whitmarsh approaches alonso
ron wants control again , fires whitmarsh [ maybe also wanted by honda who have no confidence in him ?]
ron makes agreement with other shareholders to buy back controlling interest

all this more than 6 months ago

ron seeks funds to carry out the share purchase but hasn't yet raised the capital to do so and take sole control
ron has to get agreement of other shareholders to confirm driver line up , would like another hamilton like coup with KM , but outvoted , probably honda prefer button as well other shareholders
ron is granted extension on buy out deal to resolve embarrasing hiatus over drivers

so the alonso deal is brought about because alonso has no confidence that ferrari will set their house in order , would you after their new team principal appointment ?....their track record under italian management is less than stellar ; alonso had nowhere else to go than McLaren [ love his comment about a number of other attractive offers ...john mc enroe has an appropriate comment ] ; McLaren needed alonso to satisfy honda even if ron had to grit his teeth ; button gets seat after ron is suddenly impressed late in the season having told him to try harder at silverstone [ john mc enroe comments again ]

so actually the WHOLE thing was about ron buying control and getting his own way ....anyone think that was in character ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Sasha

It was a last minute face save.

To get Ron Dennis to back down,the Bahrains gave him about another year to find funds to buy their shares and during that time period,they gave him full control.

But they got their driver choice to keep Honda happy.

My understanding is the Bahrains think Dennis will still not be able to find the funds but they will work on Honda to buy their shares.At the moment,Honda or Dennis are interested in that.

Avocado

Manoah2u

If Honda were not to interfere too much with the Livery, i'd assume the Mclaren 2015 livery would have somewhat similarities to the 2015 Mclaren P1 GTR car livery

Which is a gorgeous machine btw.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ollandos

the mp4/30 i think will be something very close to mp4/20 ....on the desing and livery .....with less silver and more white.....

diffuser

They should stick a Honda PU in it!

JimClarkFan

It all sounds great but now it is time to deliver.

Mesteño

Very sportive that livery, well applied, it could be awesome.

Manoah2u

diffuser wrote:They should stick a Honda PU in it!
What?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

astracrazy

Manoah2u wrote:If Honda were not to interfere too much with the Livery, i'd assume the Mclaren 2015 livery would have somewhat similarities to the 2015 Mclaren P1 GTR car livery
would look awesome if done right. i hope they go with something 'different' to start the new era with

Shakeman

JimClarkFan wrote:
It all sounds great but now it is time to deliver.
I get an intense sense of deja vu when I watch McLaren Brand videos, they've made the same video for years just with a different cast.

I've begun the season buoyed up that _this_ will be the season for McLaren only for them to produce another shoebox on wheels. They need to deliver or no one is going to take the "exist to win" with anything other than laughter and derision.

Alexgtt

For crying out loud, why all so serious! Nobody is going to react with laughter and derision at all. What I really don't like is the hue and cry because it's McLaren! You don't see the same when Williams goes through a rough patch. It's all moves round and they will be back at the top, just like Ferrari will one day. It would be deathly boring if these ebbs and flows didn't happen.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm hugely encouraged by the structure of this team and if there's one thing Ron does right he rules ruthlessly with no democracy. It's his way and it does work. I think we just have to wait a year or so to see the results.

podpi

McLaren have resubmitted plans to build "the world's most advanced aerodynamic research facility" among offices and meeting places for McLaren Applied Technology. The building would sit in between the McLaren Technology Centre and the McLaren Production Centre. The building of the McLaren Wind Tunnel is "urgent" to "deliver ongoing success of McLaren Racing, Automotive and Applied Technology"

I dug up a summary of the plans here: http://caps.woking.gov.uk/online-applic ... 303102.pdf
And some maps of the plans:
http://caps.woking.gov.uk/online-applic ... 303027.pdf
http://caps.woking.gov.uk/online-applic ... 303023.pdf

zeph

Salacious detail: Button in front of the #1 car and Alonso in front of the #2car.

For all their meticulous planning I can’t believe this one slipped by the McL PR team, so I’m gonna have to believe it was intentional!