Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
iotar__

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Sasha wrote:It was a last minute face save.
To get Ron Dennis to back down,the Bahrains gave him about another year to find funds to buy their shares and during that time period,they gave him full control.
But they got their driver choice to keep Honda happy.

My understanding is the Bahrains think Dennis will still not be able to find the funds but they will work on Honda to buy their shares.At the moment,Honda or Dennis are interested in that.
I don't know about saving face but regardless of ownership issues replacing Dennis would only contribute to more chaos. He just can't do anything he wants. If he couldn't find hundreds of millions to buy the majority I don't know how he can manage it now (not that I care or know anything about it).

"Make Honda happy"? 1. They are paying for it. 2. Do you really think that anyone but Honda would be happy with "best possible line-up" of Button-Magnussen? McL said they want to put Magnussen in some small team in 2016 but I'm sceptical. After all this mollycoddling and hype all that was required of him was to have four or five decent performances against ancient Button. It didn't happen and it was the opposite towards the end. True, they put him in F1 too soon (Vergne was my comparison) but he had it easier than Kova or Perez being the chosen one of the boss. I guess we'll see in 2017 or maybe 2016. Let's say Vandoorne has a great GP2 season (BTW he's that tall/heavy) what then?

McLaren's intent to "help" some small team is another indication they prefer stooge AKA customer teams to three cars.

astracrazy

zeph wrote:http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/wp-co ... Button.jpg

Salacious detail: Button in front of the #1 car and Alonso in front of the #2car.

For all their meticulous planning I can’t believe this one slipped by the McL PR team, so I’m gonna have to believe it was intentional!
I think your looking into the images trying to find something. Do you think Alonso would be the #2 from the outset? Both will be on equal terms until one is in with a championship chance

Richard

Don't read anything into the 1 and 2 on the cars. In this image they are the other way around ... http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 4R8870.jpg

lebesset

Richard wrote:Don't read anything into the 1 and 2 on the cars. In this image they are the other way around ... http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 4R8870.jpg
you mean ron is number 1 and mr honda is number 2 ?
sounds about right !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Richard

The cars are:

Yasuhisa Arai - 12
Button - 2
Alsonso - 1
Dennis - 1
Magnessen - .... errr.... keep yourself busy, why don't you get us all a cup of tea?

Andres125sx

lebesset wrote:
Avocado wrote:Eric Boullier: Fernando Alonso will challenge McLaren-Honda F1 team
"I know it's going to be challenging, [but] you have to take it as a huge positive," Boullier said.

"This is the kind of commitment and dedication you want.

"We gain the best driver in the world today, and to have convinced Fernando to stop his last two years of contract with Ferrari to join us, that means a lot for me.

"It means he believes in what we are building.

"Clearly he's going to challenge us every day. To be honest with you, he's texting me every day already!

"He's really on it. This is the kind of boost we were looking for."
so alonso is try to influence boullier to give him preferential treatment , is he ?
That´s your conclusion??

#-o

lebesset

Andres125sx wrote:
lebesset wrote:
Avocado wrote:Eric Boullier: Fernando Alonso will challenge McLaren-Honda F1 team

"This is the kind of commitment and dedication you want.

"We gain the best driver in the world today, and to have convinced Fernando to stop his last two years of contract with Ferrari to join us, that means a lot for me.

"It means he believes in what we are building.

"Clearly he's going to challenge us every day. To be honest with you, he's texting me every day already!

"He's really on it. This is the kind of boost we were looking for."
so alonso is try to influence boullier to give him preferential treatment , is he ?
That´s your conclusion??

#-o[/quote]

actually , that's my question
unless you think bouillier is saying ..I did a bad job in boosting the team this year ; frankly the management is supposed to provide the boost , it's their function
don't see how it proves he believes in what they are doing ....if button did it would they just say he was complaining ?
I suspect so
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Pierce89

Wow! The quote clearly implies Alonso is just working with his boss and pushing the team forward, and you bring up this garbage about preferential treatment? Surely you've heard of the term "trolling". #-o
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Mesteño

Trolling

bdr529

Salacious detail: Button in front of the #1 car and Alonso in front of the #2car.

For all their meticulous planning I can’t believe this one slipped by the McL PR team, so I’m gonna have to believe it was intentional!
Richard wrote:Don't read anything into the 1 and 2 on the cars. In this image they are the other way around ... http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 4R8870.jpg
Are they not just lined up in the order they won the world championship ? 88-91 and all of them being Honda powered
And they just happen to be standing in front of them

Richard

bdr529 wrote:Are they not just lined up in the order they won the world championship ? 88-91 and all of them being Honda powered
And they just happen to be standing in front of them
Indeed. So if we dismiss the numerology we could say teh signficance is Ron grabbing the newest car, his favoured driver on his right hand gets the second, Button gets the third and Ashai gets the first car to symbolise Honda's entry.

mclaren111

Planet F1 article on 17 Dec:

"That coup had been preceded by significant arrivals on the technical side – most notably former Red Bull chief aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou – and Boullier is pleased with how the atmosphere has developed at the team since his arrival in January"

"Officially" he joined in September. Is this Boullier forgetting the "correct" date or Planet F1 getting it wrong ???

adrianjordan

mclaren111 wrote:Planet F1 article on 17 Dec:

"That coup had been preceded by significant arrivals on the technical side – most notably former Red Bull chief aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou – and Boullier is pleased with how the atmosphere has developed at the team since his arrival in January"

"Officially" he joined in September. Is this Boullier forgetting the "correct" date or Planet F1 getting it wrong ???
Didn't Boullier join in January? Isn't that what they mean?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

late response;

it's because Alonso has 2 WDC's under his belt and Button 1. :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Pierce89

Richard wrote:The cars are:

Yasuhisa Arai - 12
Button - 2
Alsonso - 1
Dennis - 1
Magnessen - .... errr.... keep yourself busy, why don't you get us all a cup of tea?
Also, Mags' suit looks MUCH cheaper than the others :lol:
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher