Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
prince

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Redragon wrote:I think Mercedes might regret to have supplied their engine to Mclaren on 2014.
Because these are hybrid systems, the core of their performance lies in the software that manages their overall behavior. McLaren's biggest growling was that, they were never in possession of the actual code and had to be content with whatever compiled software provided by Merc. Although Merc was loss for having provided their PU to McLaren, they still are happy for McLaren not knowing how the software manages the performance of these systems. The other key aspect for Merc was the feedback on their PU that they have received throughout year from Williams, Force India, McLaren and their own. These are few critical aspects where Merc should be happy and shouldn't feel at loss.

Although Honda was fortunate to see the hardware design of the PU and model their own design on Merc, its still a mammoth task to actually create a similar PU in terms of performance. Like I have always said, in the better interest of the sports, its imperative that Honda delivers a PU which would be on par with Merc. Difficult, but not impossible. They have budget, infrastructure and more importantly, the hunger to succeed with the McLaren expertise. I would keep my fingers crossed.

turbof1

prince wrote:
Redragon wrote:I think Mercedes might regret to have supplied their engine to Mclaren on 2014.
Because these are hybrid systems, the core of their performance lies in the software that manages their overall behavior. McLaren's biggest growling was that, they were never in possession of the actual code and had to be content with whatever compiled software provided by Merc. Although Merc was loss for having provided their PU to McLaren, they still are happy for McLaren not knowing how the software manages the performance of these systems. The other key aspect for Merc was the feedback on their PU that they have received throughout year from Williams, Force India, McLaren and their own. These are few critical aspects where Merc should be happy and shouldn't feel at loss.

Although Honda was fortunate to see the hardware design of the PU and model their own design on Merc, its still a mammoth task to actually create a similar PU in terms of performance. Like I have always said, in the better interest of the sports, its imperative that Honda delivers a PU which would be on par with Merc. Difficult, but not impossible. They have budget, infrastructure and more importantly, the hunger to succeed with the McLaren expertise. I would keep my fingers crossed.
The reason why they never got the actual code is that they were to switch partners, which was announced before 2014 started. If they had signed a multi-year deal with Mercedes, they would have received much more support. You can't blame Mercedes for bringing support to a minimum when a customer is known to switch to a competitor, that's protecting your know-how and advantage you have. So, Mclaren might have been growling they weren't receiving that type of support, but they themselves are the reason why.
I personally think Mclaren and Honda will be rather ok on the front of software. Mclaren might not have got a hold on the code, they have a season of data how the car behaves. It's not impossible to write new code around the needs. The main issue will be having an engine ready for 2015 which is significant better then the 2014 mercedes PU. Rumors are they are around the 2014 mercedes PU, which means they are behind schedule. Ferrari and Renault are bound to have in 2015 an PU better then the Mercedes 2014 one.
#AeroFrodo

lebesset

dennis .....the honda is already a great product , just a matter of getting the reliability
boullier .....we need the regs to be opened so we can compete with mercedes

is this a strategy or don't they talk to each other ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Mesteño

Both things are compatible. If Honda has a powerful package but Mercedes does more for 2015, Honda facilities should be always an advantage if they can run and test their PU on a car. So they like the idea of opened development, they have resources for being on top. That's why they are so confident and open for unfreezing.

They have a powerful PU on labs BUT they have not tested their PU on a F1 car. That's a disadvantage, unfreeze might be the guarantee they will be able to dominate in this 'hybrid' era.

Alonso said many times that what he saw in Sakura was key for his team change.

Richard

Firstly never read too much into PR quotes, especially out of season. Of course Dennis is gong to say the Honda engine is good, just like every team says their car has better numbers in the simulator compared to last year.

Also of course Boullier is going to be keen for anything that allows mid-season development. Honda is one year behind all the other manufacturers who have a year of data to work on. Honda have just a handful of laps in Abu Dhabi.

Andres125sx

Richard wrote:Firstly never read too much into PR quotes, especially out of season. Of course Dennis is gong to say the Honda engine is good, just like every team says their car has better numbers in the simulator compared to last year.

Also of course Boullier is going to be keen for anything that allows mid-season development. Honda is one year behind all the other manufacturers who have a year of data to work on. Honda have just a handful of laps in Abu Dhabi.
And tons of data of their competitors, and a PU with no homologation what means they´re (were) not restricted from 2014 design.

I´m not saying they have a big advantage, as lack of real testing into the car is a disadvantage, but IMO they will be many steps forward compared to the rest of manufacturers in 2014. Let see if that´s enough to be a real contender in 2015, or if they need real testing before catching up

I personally hope their PU will provide very good perfomance, but reliability might be an issue. I´d love to think they will hit the nail at first try and it´s powerful and reliable, but IMHO that´d be a naive hope for first seasson

windwaves

Richard wrote:Firstly never read too much into PR quotes, especially out of season. Of course Dennis is gong to say the Honda engine is good, just like every team says their car has better numbers in the simulator compared to last year.

Alonso said that ? I was not aware, I hope you are right and that he is right !

mikeerfol

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30647574#?ut ... um=twitter
Formula 1's Jenson Button marries Jessica Michibata

adrianjordan

Time to start the McLaren-Honda F1 Team 2015 thread yet?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"