Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
geraldix

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

The side inlets beside the roll scoop make it look chunky as hell.

Very interesting "S" RW support coming out of the engine cover.

Sidepods look very fat, with major bump towards the rear. Overall packaging looks lame...

Vary

Optical effect or the rear wing pylon is "asymmetric" like last year?

Shrieker

Glad that it doesn't have a horrid nose like the williams...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

dren

Vary wrote:Optical effect or the rear wing pylon is "asymmetric" like last year?
Looking at both 3/4 views, I'd say it is more like the Y-lon the other teams used last year.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

geraldix wrote:The side inlets beside the roll scoop make it look chunky as hell.

Sidepods look very fat, with major bump towards the rear. Overall packaging looks lame...
I think it's neatly packaged.. it's like shrink warp compared the old parachute pants that was there before.

The comments about the car looking like it belongs in a lower formula is intriguing... I sorta see why people think so, but it lets me think to myself, what makes a formula 1 car so much visually different from lower formula cars?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

Vary wrote:Optical effect or the rear wing pylon is "asymmetric" like last year?
no, that's just the angle. just look at a couple shots to compare. it has a S-curve like said. it is not assymetrical as it seems.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

astracrazy

ye i like that, tidy and simple.

sidepods look quiet small actually imo, just bulky at the front

BanMeToo

It's an illusion. In each 3/4 pic it looks like the pylon is assymetrical toward the 'far' side of the car, but it can't do that in both directions! Unless they've figured out a real fancy flexy-pylon trick :wink: 8)

edit: woah, we're all on the same page then!
Last edited by BanMeToo on 26 Jan 2015, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.

Manoah2u

PlatinumZealot wrote:
geraldix wrote:The side inlets beside the roll scoop make it look chunky as hell.

I think it's neatly packaged.. it's like shrink warp compared the old parachute pants that was there before.

The comments about the car looking like it belongs in a lower formula is intriguing... I sorta see why people think so, but it lets me think to myself, what makes a formula 1 car so much visually different from lower formula cars?
The Lotus looks more 'simple'. I really genuinly like that, actually. I actually say i think there is good potential here, it looks like it's a solid base for a lot and a lot of development. The lotus actually reminds me of 2009+ Renault F1 cars.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dren

The nose doesn't look to bad. It looks to have a slight hump under it to probably create a little low pressure in the area.

The team spent some time to create such a short nose. Similar FW attachment like the Williams.

The sidepod exits look a little higher than most teams last year, but not quite as high as the Mclaren's were.

edit...forgot Lotus switched PUs...
Last edited by dren on 26 Jan 2015, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

Vary

Manoah2u wrote:
no, that's just the angle. just look at a couple shots to compare. it has a S-curve like said. it is not assymetrical as it seems.
Actually, in the first 2 photos (on Lotus website) the pylon is one time on the right, the orher on the left of the exhaust... Very interesting

Sevach

It's fixed to the engine cover like the RB10.
Last edited by Sevach on 26 Jan 2015, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1

dren wrote:The nose doesn't look to bad. It looks to have a slight hump under it to probably create a little low pressure in the area.

The new Renault PU must really have some high cooling requirements.
Good thing Lotus use Mercedes then....
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Lorenzo_Bandini

dren wrote:The nose doesn't look to bad. It looks to have a slight hump under it to probably create a little low pressure in the area.

The team spent some time to create such a short nose. Similar FW attachment like the Williams.

The sidepod exits look a little higher than most teams last year, but not quite as high as the Mclaren's were.

They use Mercedes engine this year :)

dren

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:

They use Mercedes engine this year :)
Well ---! I knew that. Thanks for the clarification.
Honda!