Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
slimfitcasual

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

dmjunqueira wrote:The camera pods are missing on these images...
Not uncommon for prerelease renders.
Per ardua ad astra

dmjunqueira

slimfitcasual wrote:
dmjunqueira wrote:The camera pods are missing on these images...
Not uncommon for prerelease renders.
Agreed...I was just wondering if these images are not so "realistic" after all...

I would like to see if everyone are going to adopt the same design due to mandatory positioning of the pods.

astracrazy

They done this last year and they were pretty accurate i seem to remember

tomazy

Whit all that ducting around the airbox, where is the hole for the marshals to hoist the car with the crain going to be? I asume that it is just missing on the renderings, or I just dont see it?

dren

tomazy wrote:Whit all that ducting around the airbox, where is the hole for the marshals to hoist the car with the crain going to be? I asume that it is just missing on the renderings, or I just dont see it?
It's hidden beneath the body panels that Maldonado plans to remove via collision. :wink:
Honda!

dren

turbof1 wrote:The narrow nose suggests a complete different philosophy, reducing blockage at the sides, suggesting they want to get the airflow around the nose directed underneath the chassis.
The straight on shot shows how the under nose turning vanes line up with the narrowing nose.
Honda!

astracrazy

tomazy wrote:Whit all that ducting around the airbox, where is the hole for the marshals to hoist the car with the crain going to be? I asume that it is just missing on the renderings, or I just dont see it?
dren wrote:
It's hidden beneath the body panels that Maldonado plans to remove via collision. :wink:
lol ye, with Maldonado driving you'd think that hole would be the main aspect of design

Manoah2u

So, remembering in what sitation lotus found themselves last year, have they announced whether they'll be at the first pre-season test with the E23?? That would be a huge step forward compared to last year to start with.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

gandharva

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by gandharva on 26 Jan 2015, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

dren

Lotus has a front wing and nose upgrade for testing. They said windtunnel numbers look good, but they always state that.

Also, all sponsors are not on the car yet. They will be by the first race.

This car looks better than last year's asymetrical "mess". Those roll hoop inlets are bigger than any of the additional inlets that teams used last year. They look to be integrated into the chassis like their 2013 car.
Honda!

turbof1

dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:The narrow nose suggests a complete different philosophy, reducing blockage at the sides, suggesting they want to get the airflow around the nose directed underneath the chassis.
The straight on shot shows how the under nose turning vanes line up with the narrowing nose.
Yeah, the trailing edge is bending outwards. They also kept a feature of the testnose used at COTA, the bulb underneath the nose that works together with the neutral section of the front wing.

The nose gives the feeling it's illegal, too high at the tip of it. A few cm's back it looks to be at the correct height, but that part is not around the middle of the neutral section. Loophole anybody?
#AeroFrodo

FrukostScones

it seems to be shorter than last year, (wide fuel cell on thread page 2)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u

knowing the noses must be shorter this year, it's safe to say ALL cars will be a lot shorter this year :wink:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

aleks_ader

Vary wrote:
Sevach wrote:
Vary wrote:Optical effect or the rear wing pylon is "asymmetric" like last year?
It's fixed to the engine cover like the RB10.
Oh yeah, just looked a bit more carefully alla images... Stupid me! :evil:

Edit: Aldo noticed that the rear wing is probably just a generic one, doesn't eventi nave DRS actuator
Actually technically covers doesn't support any stress, there are made from really thin crosshatched carbon fibre. Just to solley act as AERO skin (ex and internally).

There under the cover is support strut wrapped around exhaust and forms additional Y-ion support body. Witch is then on the bottom bolted on gearbox-casing. So stress goes throw S support toward inverted Y shaped body on the gearbox casing (in Lotus case is gearcase from metal alloy, atleast from 2014 i dont know if they will like Force india adopt Merc "catrige" gearbox, on others is made from carbon fibre).
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Thunder

I really like the Nose. Also the Rollhoop Intakes look quite Interesting. From the Looks of it that Car is miles faster than the E22.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum