Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

Now that's an interesting car. I really like its nose especially :mrgreen: Those intakes are integrated really nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing this car in action. How different it is from these renderings, you know. I for one hope it will be a nice car. E22 was a disaster. I hope there is nothing left from that piece of !@#@$ at the Lotus factory :lol:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manoah2u

could that rear wing support house an f-duct?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

dren wrote:The nose doesn't look to bad. It looks to have a slight hump under it to probably create a little low pressure in the area.

The team spent some time to create such a short nose. Similar FW attachment like the Williams.

The sidepod exits look a little higher than most teams last year, but not quite as high as the Mclaren's were.

edit...forgot Lotus switched PUs...
The cooling requirements that you mentioned. Remember this is the first time they are using Mercedes so they play it safe on the cooling, hence the large radiator inlets. For teams that have gotten to run with the Merce engines last year they will have smaller inlets because they know the real world limits. For this year the Williams inlets are markedly smaller than last year's car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

KingHamilton01

Is the nose legal I thought that is had to come to a certain point in length and there is protruding from the nose like the Williams and force India shown before.
McLaren Mercedes

bauc

WoW, the E23 has a nice looks, and I'm happy to see ''normal'' looking nose after that twin tusk last year. =D>
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

GPR-A duplicate2

Generally, Cars from Enstone have been good performers. Last year has been an exception where they went too adventurous; key people left the team; Budget constraints and importantly an under performing PU, probably contributed to lackluster performance.

Now here is E23 (of course renderings), suddenly evoking a lot of positive feelings. A neat design, housing, probably the best PU in the competition and things looking upward. The front suspension and wishbone designs completely resemble the W05. Although the design looks much more conservative on cooling front, if the results are positive, expect more aggressive modification as the season progresses. They seems to have lost a lot of sponsors and I hope budget constraints wouldn't stop them from challenging for good results.

Purely looking from design perspective, this cars looks every bit a top contender and could again bring Grosjean back in contention as a top class driver.

Craig's Analysis of E23

Matt Somers

Here's my thoughts for anyone that cares to have a gander..

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/ ... lysis.html
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

FW17

I have seen good renders by the mod community for racing games.

Never seen such bad texture work as seen on the E23 front suspension and wheel rims.

Good car otherwise

MadMatt

The car looks fantastic, both the design and the livery! :)

PlatinumZealot

Matt Somers wrote:Here's my thoughts for anyone that cares to have a gander..

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/ ... lysis.html
Good. except one thing.. I think "sculpting out" (as you call it) the underside of the nose it banned for this year. In the regs it says all surface normal in that area must not intersect with the centre line plane of the car . In other words no upside down "U" shapes under the nose.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SunsAnvil

I like the optical illusion front on formed by the gold strip on the front of the nose and then the diagonals further back. It really is a pretty car compared to last year. But let's see if it will perform as well as it looks.

SectorOne

Boy am i glad they skipped the nose they briefly showed last year, although it might not have even been legal, no idea.

Looks bland but in a good way, no crazy acer-ducts, no crazy twin-tusk nose just a nice solid base which hopefully will be right up there.
Btw, is that even holes above the driver? At first i thought it was but it looks more like a weird reflection instead.
edit: nevermind, reading Somers article now.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gianlu27

Some comparison :)

Side

Front 1

Front 2

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

gastonmazzacane

Every year I think they are pulling some kind of a prank on us, but then it always turns out to be a true car :D