Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henra

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

This car looks positively simple.
Especially the nose.
This might be a better path than trying to squeeze all the air to the tray and Center floor area between the FW pylons but instead to send some of it around the outside of the pylons. A bit like the Ferrari approach from last year but with a nicer and possibly better implementation. They might have to make sure it doesn't collide with the Y250 vortex but apart from that: Why not!
Sidepods and roll hoop are interesting. The latter having written STR all over it.

mrluke

zioture wrote:Comparison E23 VS E22

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4077_o.jpg
Misleading.

The angles are too different, look at the height difference of the bottom of the front wing.

bill shoe

front pushrods are EXTREMELY shallow relative to control arms. Looks like they may act on uprights rather than on lower wishbones, nothing new there. But that angle is shallow. Makes me wonder if I'm not understanding something kinematically. If I understand it correctly then I'll just have to cringe throughout 2015 in anticipation of structural failure.

Mesteño

Just humble wondering,

Could those holes in the airbox mean that Mercedes PU 2015 is running at higher rpm and because of that needs more air? As far as I know, the other presented car have 2014 parts in the images, only 2015 front wings and so. Maybe that is a feature we will see in Mercedes PU cars?

Blackout

Look at the bump between the big GENII and the PDVSA (roll hoop sides). Maybe there is a rollhoop-fed (oil) clooler inside, just like the STR9.

spadeflush

Looks like a good car. I like how the nose looks, especially after last year's appalling twin tusks. Pull rod is a surprise, I just hope they ve got nothing fundamentally wrong with this car. Wonder how much they had to make changes at the rear because of the Merc PU.
Mesteño wrote:Just humble wondering,

Could those holes in the airbox mean that Mercedes PU 2015 is running at higher rpm and because of that needs more air? As far as I know, the other presented car have 2014 parts in the images, only 2015 front wings and so. Maybe that is a feature we will see in Mercedes PU cars?
Why did this post get a -1 vote?
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

wesley123

ICE's are limited at 15k RPM, thus running more revs than the others doesn't really exist. Plus, that's a rather large increase in intake area to begin with.

Also, why split it up in three different intakes, would make much more sense to just enlarge the main intake.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ParkerArt

spadeflush wrote:Looks like a good car. I like how the nose looks, especially after last year's appalling twin tusks. Pull rod is a surprise, I just hope they ve got nothing fundamentally wrong with this car. Wonder how much they had to make changes at the rear because of the Merc PU.
Mesteño wrote:Just humble wondering,

Why did this post get a -1 vote?
I'm not the one that voted but I would assume that is because these engines are fuel limited. If it was to simply get more air into the intake, the primary inlet would just be bigger.

As such, I would believe that these are routed to coolers and exchangers.

bill shoe

continuing to think about the shallow front push-rod angles and their high outboard mounting on corner between upper & lower wishbones...

I think it would be legal to run a corvette-type composite transverse leaf spring. Problem with that idea is that it doesn't explain how any damping would occur.

Vettel Maggot

Total/Burn sponsorship missing from this years car?

bill shoe

It looks like the front of the monocoque is much lower than the overall profile of the nose. So the upper portion of the nose is the non-structural aero panel I assume?

Aside from common sense, is there any rule that requires the driver's feet to be completely within the safety cell, or could there be a pair of holes to allow the toes to stick up above the safety cell but under the aero panel?

ringo

here is a crazy idea...
those roll hope intakes are for the engine or even an in chassis intercooler!
The top hole is for the oil coolers!
For Sure!!

Raleigh

ringo wrote:here is a crazy idea...
Engine intake can't be split.

Vasconia

The new car looks great, a simpler design with some interesing aspects like the enormous cooling holes. Do they expect cooling probems with Mercedes engine?

They will improve a lot, with this engine and a more adaptable car they should be top-contenders again. They truly know how to design good cars in Edstone.

And Grosjeand/Maldonado are exciting drivers to see with good cars. :mrgreen:

aleks_ader

Raleigh wrote:
ringo wrote:here is a crazy idea...
Engine intake can't be split.
Why. Evaluate pls! Beacuse of rules or more practical reasoning?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna