Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diego.liv

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:A Ferrari is red, a Mercedes is silver. That won't change, only small details.
I don't mean to clash, don't misunderstand me, but Ferrari should be yellow, then history doesn't get always what she deserves..even our beloved Mercedes has some funny controversy back in the '30s on who used the silver first..i understand you don't paint it white and green, so try something new...no need in writing PETRONAS on the whole sidepod, try using the green in a different way, maybe engraving the logo on it, doing a Carlsberg with the glass bottles.

If someone has any complaint, maybe lecturing me on how PR works and so, please share your thoughts without throwing in my face your educational background or so..i've found it inappropriate and quite pointless, we are not in some college fraternity

SectorOne

Listen to the engine note, it sounds exactly like the pre-season exhaust note from last year.
So i´m guessing they stuck an old 2014 in the car with the old "traditional" exhaust which may or may not explain what appears to be a slightly bulgier engine cover.

I don´t think we have seen the real W06 in all it´s glory just yet.

So livery, nosecone, new winglet stretching the whole width of the sidepod and a new engine cover from what i can see.
edit: and brake ducts.

edit2: it seems Hamilton was there too taking it for a spin, thought only Rosberg was doing the shakedown.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Chuckjr

Merc better be ready. Macca looks up for the challenge by visual comparison.
Watching F1 since 1986.

MercAMGF1Fans

SectorOne wrote: edit2: it seems Hamilton was there too taking it for a spin, thought only Rosberg was doing the shakedown.
Hamilton's run was curtailed due to the blizzard

GPR-A duplicate2

Ferraripilot wrote:
Afterburner wrote:Interesting, it seems W06 has a shorter wheelbase, W05 packaging was impressive already, with W06 it's even more impressive!

It does indeed seem a tiny bit shorter doesn't it. That might make the front end a bit sharper as W05 and just about every car on the field appeared to have some level of understeer.
(W06 is on top)
When I did the same comparison, nothing really is different. We need to understand that, it is IMPOSSIBLE for two different cars, in two different years to be IN EXACT SAME POSITION. The W06 has turned slightly right, very small degree (Observe the right rear wing end plate visible on W06 and not on W05). I have tried to keep the rear wing in line, plus the height as same. When I dragged the W06 picture and kept it on W05, it seemed like, instead of W05, it is W06 which is running on the same track. But still, I argue for the angle.

Although from front view, the side pod intakes appear to be the same in size, the side pod bulge seems to have shrunk. Observe the PETRONAS logo on side pods.

Here it appears that the driver seating is a bit raised and the helmet is now appearing much closer to the line of roll hoop intake. Unless, Rosberg has taken advantage of raised weight limit of this year and has added more to his derrier.

astracrazy

this is nothing more than the red bull style evolution. No one should have been expecting drastic changes, all though there are a lot of changes in the detail

Jolle

looking at the photo's, it looks like the chassis is a bit higher at the tea-tray and narrower at the whole front, which would suggest more airflow under the side pots intake, around the coke bottle and over the rear. It looks like a small difference maybe, but I think when you would see the airflow around the W05 compared to the W06, its a huge step

MercedesAMGSpy

astracrazy wrote:this is nothing more than the red bull style evolution. No one should have been expecting drastic changes, all though there are a lot of changes in the detail
Exactly, I didn't expect radical changes, only McLaren did that a few years ago and we know the result..

Blackout

Wonder why this part is thicker on the Merc too
A bigger inlet manifold? some STR9 radiators inside?

CBeck113

Blackout wrote:Wonder why this part is thicker on the Merc too
http://www.servimg.com/view/14795526/1712
A bigger inlet manifold? some STR9 radiators inside?
I think it may be the slight angle of the picture, since the car isn't head on - on the other side you can see that the cover drops with the same angle.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

kooleracer

But this isn't the new chroma livery that they have been talking about right?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

GPR-A duplicate2

I am wondering, what made Merc to go lean on thier nose as McLaren have kept it wider and inline with W05.

The front wing mounting points of MP4-30 are wider than that of W05.

kooleracer

GPR-A wrote:I am wondering, what made Merc to go lean on thier nose as McLaren have kept it wider and inline with W05.

http://s26.postimg.org/jlaqwedp4/W06_MP4039.jpg
Creating a Merc like nose is not easy because of the new crash test regulations. Most teams would have like a Mercedes nose but not every team has the resources or know how. Last year the Mercedes nose failed multiple crash tests before they got it right. The McLaren nose tip is much longer then the Mercedes nose tip. This has all to do with crashtest, because ideally you want as much air hitting the t-tray so more air goes to the diffuser.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

ian_s

to those saying it has a massive amount of rake, remember that this is the first time that the car has run, so it will be in a baseline setup chosen to be 'safe', not necessarily fast. i'd be surprised if they are still running like that towards the end of testing

and also it was snowing at silverstone, so they upped the ride height to get through the drifts...........

GPR-A duplicate2

kooleracer wrote:
GPR-A wrote:I am wondering, what made Merc to go lean on thier nose as McLaren have kept it wider and inline with W05.

http://s26.postimg.org/jlaqwedp4/W06_MP4039.jpg
Creating a Merc like nose is not easy because of the new crash test regulations. Most teams would have like a Mercedes nose but not every team has the resources or know how. Last year the Mercedes nose failed multiple crash tests before they got it right. The McLaren nose tip is much longer then the Mercedes nose tip. This has all to do with crashtest, because ideally you want as much air hitting the t-tray so more air goes to the diffuser.
I am only debating the WIDTH of the nose structure. McLaren HAS a wide nose and Merc has opted for much leaner nose. Not sure why? When Merc knows the answers to creating such a complex nose, why are they going for leaner one, when in reality they could still have been aggressive.