Why does the Mercedes engine sound different?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
F1SC

Why does the Mercedes engine sound different?

Hi everyone,

Something I have been wondering for a while, but have never got a technical answer on.

Firstly, why do the Mercedes engines sound different (much more gruff and deep) and what did Mercedes actually change from the Jerez test in early 2014 to the Bahrain test onwards to make the engine go from sounding like the Renault's to a completely unique sound?

Here is Mercedes doing a shakedown in Silverstone early 2014 - note the engine sound is very similar to the Renault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toksAc0jw-k

After this test, the Mercedes powered cars sounded very different - as shown in the below video - almost sounds like a Moto GP bike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpm3qdILp0

Thanks,

Steve

Facts Only

Re: Why does the Mercedes engine sound different?

They went from tuned length tubular exhaust manifolds to the minimal space and weight 'log' type manifolds.

There is a thread about it on here somewhere with plenty of pictures and technical answers.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

F1SC

Thanks for your reply - couldn't find a thread but if anyone does can you please let me know.

I really hope they stick with that design for 2015 - really enjoy the sound, it's even better in real life.

Facts Only

"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

F1SC

Do you think Mercedes will keep this design for 2015? Do you think any other teams will copy it?

Make's the cars sound far more aggressive.

Just stumbled upon this article which suggests the other manufactures will probably try and test the log style manifold in 2015:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=21149

wuzak

F1SC wrote:Do you think Mercedes will keep this design for 2015? Do you think any other teams will copy it?

I disagree. I think the Mercedes sounds horrid.

The Ferrari, on the other hand, has quite a sweet exhaust note when it gets up in the rpm range.

F1SC

We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

When I was at the singapore race last year the Mercedes powered cars sounded by far the most angry and gruff. The Ferrari engines sounded really whiney and almost tiney at higher revs.

OO7
OO7

F1SC wrote:Hi everyone,

Something I have been wondering for a while, but have never got a technical answer on.

Firstly, why do the Mercedes engines sound different (much more gruff and deep) and what did Mercedes actually change from the Jerez test in early 2014 to the Bahrain test onwards to make the engine go from sounding like the Renault's to a completely unique sound?

Here is Mercedes doing a shakedown in Silverstone early 2014 - note the engine sound is very similar to the Renault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toksAc0jw-k

After this test, the Mercedes powered cars sounded very different - as shown in the below video - almost sounds like a Moto GP bike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpm3qdILp0

Thanks,

Steve
Excellent post Steve. I was already aware of the exhaust change Mercedes had made (I knew this was the reason for their unique exhaust note) and had already watched the shakedown video early last year, but never noticed the transformation in sound.

ojlopez

wuzak wrote:
F1SC wrote:Do you think Mercedes will keep this design for 2015? Do you think any other teams will copy it?

The Ferrari, on the other hand, has quite a sweet exhaust note when it gets up in the rpm range.
I agree, but what F1SC says does make a lot of sense. Maybe the TV coverage is tuned for picking up the screaming V8's, and that is why Ferrari sounds wonderful on the TV and Mercedes sounds like its farting. Hope they fix it this year.

wuzak

ojlopez wrote:
wuzak wrote:

I agree, but what F1SC says does make a lot of sense. Maybe the TV coverage is tuned for picking up the screaming V8's, and that is why Ferrari sounds wonderful on the TV and Mercedes sounds like its farting. Hope they fix it this year.
The Mercedes sounds like it is farting trackside.

I was basing my opinion on teh Australian GP last year. Since teh engines were new, they weren't getting stretched all that much, so when the Ferrari was starting to sing they tended to shift up a gear and drop it into the drone zone.

J.A.W.

If you reckon the Merc sounded flatulent.. try Moto 3, they are worse than a bloody woopee cushion - on high rotate..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

F1SC

Okay well looks like I need to change the thread title.

I have just heard the W06 getting a shakedown at Silverstone and it looks like they have gone back to the tubular manifold - it now sounds like the Renualt again!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOGjLfzLKzQ

Thoughts?

SectorOne

Old engine, old exhaust is my theory. Let´s see what the pre-season test will give us.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

J.A.W.

IMO, that Merc in the vid sounded alright - & its torquey enough to acceptably pull/climb rpm through the gears.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

F1SC

Sector one, why would they use an old engine and exhaust in a shakedown run?