Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gridlock

Re: Manor F1 Team 2015

Good day to be named Kevin perhaps?

Sebp

mikeerfol wrote:So as posted at the testing thread, maybe McLaren Honda are behind Manor's comeback

https://twitter.com/GrandPrixTimes/stat ... 7428900864
Didn't Haas buy a lot of their stuff? Is he going to lease it back to them?
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

FW17

By factory it is implied Manor workshop somewhere near Sheffield

Jonnycraig

Logistically it's all a bit of a nightmare:

If its private investors, they need to secure access to a factory, hire a new workforce (many ex staff will have new jobs already), fund a years worth of Ferrari engines upfront, modify the 2014 cars to be legal, and presumably find two heavily funded drivers, all within 5 weeks. And then with an old car, likely fail to achieve 107%.

If it's a McLaren/Honda junior team, they need to pay off Ferrari to terminate their contract, presumably pay off ART for Vandoorne's GP2 season to drive alongside Magnussen, either update the 2014 Marussia's to be legal while also satisfying the rest of the paddock that it isn't just another McLaren, or design another car from scratch whilst providing the same proof. Added to that, whilst McLaren have a large pool of 'junior' engineers, mechanics etc, these all have roles within McLaren during the race weekends so presumably more flyaway staff would be needed.

As I say, a logistical nightmare and only 37 days until FP1. Suspect there will be lots of dispensations required to get any further cars to Melbourne.
Last edited by Jonnycraig on 04 Feb 2015, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

iotar__

So which team needed a stooge, mini-me, help with voting team, McLaren? What engine?

SunsAnvil

I read it wrong first time around. "Mclaren could be behind Manor in 2015....." And judging by their shhowing at Jerez, who knows!

But seriously, i hope that it is true. Manor looked to be doing well on the track last year, financial woes aside. If they could be adopted as a "B" teM by Mclaren in the same way as Torro Rosso (perhaps a responce to the threat of Haas being Ferrari's baby team) this would work well for both McLaren and Manor or as we could now know them M&M.....

Daliracing

Well i also hope this is true. Is the 2015 prototype of the marussia sold? Or can they try to build it in the time left for FP1?

turbof1

Guys, it was too late by Christmas to produce the 2015 car, so it's definitely too late now. They'll be driving the 2014 car, which I believe will be a formality. The fia already indicated Marussia and Caterham would be allowed to drive those cars.

But it's certainly not a nightmare, far from it. Marussia coming back and given this year all the room it needs to get back on its feet is incredible news.
#AeroFrodo

Daliracing

turbof1 wrote:Guys, it was too late by Christmas to produce the 2015 car, so it's definitely too late now. They'll be driving the 2014 car, which I believe will be a formality. The fia already indicated Marussia and Caterham would be allowed to drive those cars.
It would also be good if they run this season with a 2014 car. then they have a lot of time to design a desent car for 2016.

Starscreamer

Lets hope that they come back to the grid
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Jonnycraig

turbof1 wrote:Guys, it was too late by Christmas to produce the 2015 car, so it's definitely too late now. They'll be driving the 2014 car, which I believe will be a formality. The fia already indicated Marussia and Caterham would be allowed to drive those cars.
Autosport saying today that it needs the other teams to agree for the 2014 cars to be run. Also say that McLaren are not involved.

As said just above: "If its private investors, they need to secure access to a factory, hire a new workforce (many ex staff will have new jobs already), fund a years worth of Ferrari engines upfront, modify the 2014 cars to be legal, and presumably find two heavily funded drivers, all within 5 weeks. And then with an old car, likely fail to achieve 107%."

Hard to believe that much would come of this outside of a Super Aguri style disappearance midseason.

iotar__

I'll answer myself from the other thread, autosport: "It is unclear who the investors are willing to fund Marussia's F1 return, but suggestions that McLaren could be behind it are believed to be wide of the mark."

Speculating: it must be wide off the mark - there's no time to run with anything but Ferrari so they can't be associated in another engine data hoarding ;-). They don't have to invest or own it to have Haas-Ferrari-like relationship. 2015 - a survival year and in 2016 it may be a different story. Speculation is based on a premise that no one can afford to waste money on building F1 cars on their own.

turbof1

Jonnycraig wrote:
Autosport saying today that it needs the other teams to agree for the 2014 cars to be run. Also say that McLaren are not involved.

As said just above: "If its private investors, they need to secure access to a factory, hire a new workforce (many ex staff will have new jobs already), fund a years worth of Ferrari engines upfront, modify the 2014 cars to be legal, and presumably find two heavily funded drivers, all within 5 weeks. And then with an old car, likely fail to achieve 107%."

Hard to believe that much would come of this outside of a Super Aguri style disappearance midseason.
I don't think the other teams will lodge protest. The car will be lucky to end up within the 107% rule as it stands, so competition-wise the others will have no concerns. And as far as they go, that's the only thing they are concerned about.
#AeroFrodo

RicME85

Ted has been talking on Sky about the proposed return of the team and how it could be a B team.
McLaren have said no its not them then Ted said that it could be Honda but it wouldnt work with the 2014 car because of the engine mounting points.
Has Ted got this wrong as I thought the mounting points is one of the things the FIA mandate in the rules to make life easier when changing supplier?