McLaren MP4/19B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vasco

I must say the brake ducts still look ancient compared to ferrari! Any reasons as to why this is so??

:lol: :D :D this was my 1st post
cheers

Vasco

Could the wierd looking exhaust be the mclaren version of a chimney??? :?:

Looks like McLaren have run out of ideas....analyse the visible changes to the car....
Sidepods-Copied from renault and Ferrari
Winglets-Copied from Williams
Suspension-Copied from Ferrari
Engine Cover fins-Copied from Renault
Altough they have changed the front nose,it's still not visibly different,raise them a little bit so more downforce can be generated.

ref..:Radiators
You are right the radiator(OIL)only can be see when looking into the sidepot.Thats´because the waterradiator is mounted at an angle below the oilcooler,lying almost flat nothing new.

MRE
MRE

Mc Laren MP4-19B

Mc Laren is backs on business after the introduction their new MP4-19B. I think they're not too late to gain more championship points.Well, there's a lot more thing to talk about it. MP4-19B is more reliable and faster than the old MP4-19.Are they developed fully new chassis?
formula one

pompelmo

I've heard that the new McLaren MP4-19B is completly diferent from the
MP4-19!!
At least taey don't look diferent!

bernard

At least taey don't look diferent!
You sure about that? 8)

tetopelis

i think both the cars can be said as 2 completely different cars...with the new front end aerodynamic update..its is literally a new car with nothing which is i dentical to the 19...i think its better of they call the MP4 - 20.
" If you want to win, get a Finn" - Hakkinen

sharkie17

i concur.. chassis is totally brand new and had to be crash tested mid season.

bernard

Chassis is not new. Monocoque is. That is why they had to crash test. Basically all the same technical solutions and parts, just better thought through, plus the recent aerodynamic improvements. Underneath it all it still is very much 19.

Monstrobolaxa

Humm....well some books do call the monocoque as a particular kind of chassis...as they say you have a tubular chassis or a monocoque chassis! But there are other books that call the chassis as the complete car! So it seems that it can be called both the names.

In a Formula 1 cars case it's hard to figure out, cause in a road car you have the body of the car (chassis) and the bodywork. In a F1 cars case you have the main structure the monocoque and the rest is attached to it...so technically it is a chassis.

Monstrobolaxa

Yup just confirmed it....3 famous F1 writers call the monocoque as a chassis: Giorgio Piola, Nigel McKnight and Peter Wright (ex-Lotus Technical Director) and I also checked the book "Race Car Chassis Design" and they mention the main kinds of chassis as tubular and monocoque!

bernard

Are you sure that doesn't mean a chassi with a monocoque? :D
Well, anyway, i guess its not that big of a deal.

Monstrobolaxa

Yup I'm sure and I've gone back to the books to reconfirm.

In Piolas case at the begining of each book he has a chapter called "Chassis History" where there is a list of all the monocoques constructed by each team, in which race they were used by which driver and each monocoques reference number. Later on in the crash test section he constantly uses the word chassis to talk of the monocoque.

In Macknights books he has a chapter called Chassis and in this chapter he goes through all the monocoque procedures of fabrication, from CAD going to machining the patern using UREOL, then to carbon fibre...autoclave...then the construction of the monocoque.

In Wrights book he refers the monocoque as chassis constantly.

And here are some lines from the Formula Student/SAE competition, where the call a car as a monocoque chassis:

"F) On all monocoque chassis, the main hoop(...)"

"-Braces attached to monocoque chassis must be(...)"

"(F) All monocoque chassis (composite monocoque or metal
monocoque) must provide the same protection as tube frames (=space frames)
built per Section 3.3.3.(...)"

bernard

OK, you win :lol: