2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Maybe this will be the talking point in Malaysia,the FIA has some new rules in area of fuel flow measurement aimed rumors suggesting Mercedes and Ferrari engines find a way to exceed the limited 100kg/h rule.

http://tecnicaformula1.com/un-reflujo-d ... z3V3G3QO8B
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=21765

raymondu999

Moose wrote:
GPR-A wrote:It feels like the slowest qualifying lap you would every see on board!!! Missing racing line on every single corner.
In the wet, that's often the fastest way to do a lap - avoid the thick rubber patches that end up being more slippery than grippy. If you go and watch videos of Senna in the wet, you'll see that he drove around the outside of corners a lot too, and in doing so found a lot of grip that other people couldn't.
My friend once explained this phenomenon to me - though I'm not 100% sure if he's right. He says on the rubbered in racing line, the pores in between the bitumen on the track surface are filled in by the rubber (ie. rubbered "in") - and that's why it's grippy in the dry - because that rubber helps to "grip" the tyre rubber. However in the rain, the water then cannot run off into the pores, meaning there's more water there.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

GPR-A duplicate2

Still no bets on the Quali and Race order?

The weather is predicted to be wet for both days. But, having the experience of living here and carried an umbrella every day to work, it is impossible to know when it would rain here. Does anyone remember a clean dry weekend (quali and race) at Sepang? A dry Saturday and a wet Sunday would be a lot of fun.

Anyone expect a new nose on RBR or Ferrari?

Boring to predict this, but hard to look beyond.
Quali:
1. Lewis
2. Nico
3. Seb

Race:
1. Lewis
2. Nico
3. Seb

WaikeCU

raymondu999 wrote:
Moose wrote:
GPR-A wrote:It feels like the slowest qualifying lap you would every see on board!!! Missing racing line on every single corner.
In the wet, that's often the fastest way to do a lap - avoid the thick rubber patches that end up being more slippery than grippy. If you go and watch videos of Senna in the wet, you'll see that he drove around the outside of corners a lot too, and in doing so found a lot of grip that other people couldn't.
My friend once explained this phenomenon to me - though I'm not 100% sure if he's right. He says on the rubbered in racing line, the pores in between the bitumen on the track surface are filled in by the rubber (ie. rubbered "in") - and that's why it's grippy in the dry - because that rubber helps to "grip" the tyre rubber. However in the rain, the water then cannot run off into the pores, meaning there's more water there.
I believe in the game Gran Turismo, they teach you how to take the best line in wet weather circumstances. You sort of have to avoid the ideal line in the dry.

Vasconia

I am praying for a REAL wet race there. Sepang is alway a fun race but if it rains it could be spectacular.

Williams will be strong here but Ferrari too, the new engine make them a strong team in this circuit too. The battle between those two teams will be exctiting. Meanwhile Mercedes wil smash everybody, again. :mrgreen:

I hope that Nico can have a better weekend and attack Lewis, F1 needs Nico to be at his very best.

I would like to see a remarkable improvement in Mclaren, at least to be in Q2, I dont ask for more. Manor should race this time, it is sad to see so few cars.

Quali:

1. Nico
2. Lewis
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Kimi.

Race:

1. Nico.
2. Vettel
3. Bottas

DNF for Lewis.
Alonso finishing the race as welll as Jenson but only beating Manor.

pob

I think any rain in quali or the race will lead to Ferrari beating Williams to best of the rest behind Merc.

AnthonyG

GPR-A wrote:Still no bets on the Quali and Race order?

The weather is predicted to be wet for both days. But, having the experience of living here and carried an umbrella every day to work, it is impossible to know when it would rain here. Does anyone remember a clean dry weekend (quali and race) at Sepang? A dry Saturday and a wet Sunday would be a lot of fun.

Anyone expect a new nose on RBR or Ferrari?

Boring to predict this, but hard to look beyond.
Quali:
1. Lewis
2. Nico
3. Seb

Race:
1. Lewis
2. Nico
3. Seb
Last wet race was 2009 I think, with half points.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

noel

changes in weather and risky pit strategies could make for a pretty exciting race behind lewis - i just don't see anyone more composed than him. seb is right up there with 44 in the wet pace wise, he could potentially catch nico. and while someone was joking with the saubers earlier, i expect them to be fighting ferrari and williams. nasr at least; he was extremely good in the rain both in f3 and gp2.
44 | 22 | 14

dren

I'm curious how much Williams will have improved in the wet if it rains. I'd say Ferrari will be best of the rest behind Mercedes.

Lewis on pole and race winner.
Honda!

WaikeCU

Verstappen has shown in F3 how good he is in wet weather conditions. I think he's good, because he has father Jos to learn from. If the Toro Rosso doesn't break down, I believe Verstappen could surprise a few.

simieski

AnthonyG wrote:
Last wet race was 2009 I think, with half points.

I remember it getting a little damp there in 2012! Rains that hard there that it's a good chance of being red flagged
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

mikeerfol

And 2013 as well. :P

iotar__

noel wrote:changes in weather and risky pit strategies could make for a pretty exciting race behind lewis - i just don't see anyone more composed than him. seb is right up there with 44 in the wet pace wise, he could potentially catch nico. and while someone was joking with the saubers earlier, i expect them to be fighting ferrari and williams. nasr at least; he was extremely good in the rain both in f3 and gp2.
Having the best cars always helps (for both) as for less than stellar composure may I offer examples of:
- Monaco 2008 both in terms of pace and mistakes early on when it was really wet
- China 2009 comedy of errors, interestingly enough not the best car
- Monza 2008 with two blatant fouls on Glock and Webber
- Australia 2009 not passing Kubica early on and pushing Webber off track which came back to bite him
I agree though about Hamilton's possible wet race advantage in Malaysia, not necessarily because of superior composure but based on last season - early races qualifying sessions and of course Suzuka where tyres played significant role.

Vasconia

WaikeCU wrote:Verstappen has shown in F3 how good he is in wet weather conditions. I think he's good, because he has father Jos to learn from. If the Toro Rosso doesn't break down, I believe Verstappen could surprise a few.
Every time I read something about Verstappen I remember the legendary comment of Murray Walker "Joss the boss and he knows it". I think it was something like this and it happened in Sepang, back in 2001 or 2002. Awesome Murray. :mrgreen:

Jos was great under the rain, even Schumacher praised him after that race.

About the rain and who can do it well. I think that Lewis is the best nowadays, but Alonso is better when the conditions are mixed and Vettel usually does it well too. Button knows how to take advantage from mixed conditions, too bad that he has not the car to do anything.

WaikeCU

Vasconia wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:Verstappen has shown in F3 how good he is in wet weather conditions. I think he's good, because he has father Jos to learn from. If the Toro Rosso doesn't break down, I believe Verstappen could surprise a few.
Every time I read something about Verstappen I remember the legendary comment of Murray Walker "Joss the boss and he knows it". I think it was something like this and it happened in Sepang, back in 2001 or 2002. Awesome Murray. :mrgreen:

Jos was great under the rain, even Schumacher praised him after that race.

About the rain and who can do it well. I think that Lewis is the best nowadays, but Alonso is better when the conditions are mixed and Vettel usually does it well too. Button knows how to take advantage from mixed conditions, too bad that he has not the car to do anything.
Don't forget about Jos Verstappen at the 2000 Canadian GP finishing 5th in the Orange Arrows.

Hulkenberg is also great in changing conditions. Proved his worth back in 2010 in Brazil by putting the Williams on pole position on a drying track in Quali and in 2012 he was battling with the front runners before making an error and ruining both Hamilton and his race.