Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CjC
CjC

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

langwadt wrote:
don't think any type of clutch will count as a fixed speed ratio to the crankshaft
Won't the flywheel be though? that's connected to the crankshaft
Just a fan's point of view

langwadt

CjC wrote:
langwadt wrote:
don't think any type of clutch will count as a fixed speed ratio to the crankshaft
Won't the flywheel be though? that's connected to the crankshaft
you could make the flywheel part of the MGU-K, but you still can't disconnect it from the crankshaft

RagingBullx

I remember because I have been a sharholder inthe company for ages that Honda until 2009 were interested in using a Torotrak gearbox and flywheel for their Kers, the company has since incorporated Flybrid (ex Renault F1 engineers iirc) and is being used in the new front wheel drive Nissan sportscar...
An interesting feature on the front cover of racecar engineering:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... m_content=
$LINK_KEYWORD$&dm_i=6NM,35O5Y,EU3R0Z,BB9F7,1

The engine alone is capable of producing adequate power. That is then supplemented by a substantial boost from the Torotrak Hybrid system. The car’s strength will be its straightline speed, with some rumouring it to be capable of more than 360km/h in a straight line…if the power can be delivered efficiently through the front wheels.

The flywheel is situated beneath the driver’s legs, which means that it is literally a standard layout in reverse. Ahead of the flywheel is the engine, reverse mounted with the gearbox ahead of it and the radiators out front. The front suspension is hung off the gearbox, as is standard for a rear suspension, while the long tail of the monocoque holds the rear suspension. Nissan has yet to decide whether to run a second flywheel in the same space, and that will determine whether or not to go for a higher MJ category according to Appendix B in the regulations.

Electronics in the car are provided by Cosworth and include a brake by wire system, drive by wire throttle and ERS deployment strategy control. No wonder the team has been busy ­ established front runners in the WEC and in Formula 1 have all had to master BBW and not found it to be
easy.

Will the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO work on track? We’ll find out at the end of March. Nissan says yes. The rest of the world is busy picking itself up from the floor.

Sasha

MGU-K is intergrated into the ICE before the clutch and trans.That's why when there is a seal leak in the MGU-K,there is also an ICE failure(or going to be).Also why they are having major heat problems that cannot be fixed by adding more air flowing across it or larger water cooler(it is oil cooled and most likely oil paths design into the ICE).

Sasha

double post
Last edited by Sasha on 30 Mar 2015, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

Sasha

triple post :D

PlatinumZealot

I do not like the angle that the intake pipe enters the air box...

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

radosav

I have read on other forum that Alonso pushed more than allowed and fried his ERS !
I wouldn't bother about it, but poster of that info is musician from England, and he used to be popular in 70's! He loves formula one and is guest at races so he met lot of formula one personnel! Source of his info are, if i am not mistaken, two ex renault engineers! I believe him cause i follow him on that forum for years!
PS - i am only trying to help with info, ignore it if you think it isn't true!

RZS10

radosav wrote:I have read on other forum that Alonso pushed more than allowed and fried his ERS !
I wouldn't bother about it, but poster of that info is musician from England, and he used to be popular in 70's! He loves formula one and is guest at races so he met lot of formula one personnel! Source of his info are, if i am not mistaken, two ex renault engineers! I believe him cause i follow him on that forum for years!
According to AMuS the ERS cooling failed, the engine itself confirmed it on twitter :lol:
https://twitter.com/hondapu14/status/582516078191988737

And Button DNF as well. even though he was way slower than ALO

PlatinumZealot

Who built the ERS again?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1

Sasha wrote:MGU-K is intergrated into the ICE before the clutch and trans.That's why when there is a seal leak in the MGU-K,there is also an ICE failure(or going to be).Also why they are having major heat problems that cannot be fixed by adding more air flowing across it or larger water cooler(it is oil cooled and most likely oil paths design into the ICE).
What are the evenual benefits of such MGU K placement apart from packaging?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thefuelman

radosav wrote:I have read on other forum that Alonso pushed more than allowed and fried his ERS !

may well be true. Alonso was lapping 1.4 seconds slower than the Mercedes of hamilton an that lap 16 17 18 just before the failiure. He just seemed to jump the laptimes on lap 15 by over a second. I think its better to grenade a few parts than run around 5 seconds off the pace. At least that way you know what needs to be improved.

GoranF1

Sasha wrote:MGU-K is intergrated into the ICE before the clutch and trans.That's why when there is a seal leak in the MGU-K,there is also an ICE failure(or going to be).Also why they are having major heat problems that cannot be fixed by adding more air flowing across it or larger water cooler(it is oil cooled and most likely oil paths design into the ICE).
double post
Last edited by GoranF1 on 30 Mar 2015, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1

double post

3jawchuck

Technical regulations 2015 say: "5.2.3 The MGU-K must be solely and permanently mechanically linked to the powertrain before the main clutch. This mechanical link must be of fixed speed ratio to the engine crankshaft."

Just an FYI for anyone wondering.