Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wayne DR

Re: Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

matt21 wrote:Manor is about to delay the new car to 2016 according to German media.
Maybe they want Bob Bell to give more input and get all resources they have to work with him instead on a 2015 car
Such a shame, I was looking forward to seeing both McLarens out qualified by Manor (running a new spec Ferrari engine)...

Maybe that's why McLaren want a "B-Team" next year, so they won't be on the back of the grid! :lol:

ME4ME

Andres125sx wrote:Agree with Stevens, but Merhi has usually been considered a more talented driver than Carlos Sainz jr. (they´ve competed many times on same series), and you see how much deserved praising Sainz is receiving, so IMO Merhi deserve not only a seat on Manor, but probably a better car.

He´s had a lot of problems on Manor, they say his PU had been underperforming compared to his team mate, and he also was more than 10kg heavier than Stevens. He still is heavier, but he´s slim down and now the difference is smaller, plus they´ve solved his PU problems, and the result has been obvious, on Monaco he was not that far from lapping stevens...
Admittedly I haven't seen them compete in junior series, but in F1 Merhi isn't even close to being on the same level as Sainz. To me Merhi is probably the worst driver currently in F1. He is dead slow compared to Stevens who isn't a driver i rate that high either, but looks brilliant because of him. I don't care much about the unfair equipment rumors. Merhi wasn't great in his outings for Caterham last year either.

Manor switching to Honda engines would be a step back on PU performance. Probably a step forward financially, but also a huge step forward if Mclaren decides to park their development drivers at Manor. Imagine Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne getting seats for next year, that would be a massive step forward for the team.

Miguel

matt21 wrote:Manor is about to delay the new car to 2016 according to German media.
Maybe they want Bob Bell to give more input and get all resources they have to work with him instead on a 2015 car
I can't say I blame them. Right now, all other teams are out of reach. Their car is slow but within 107%, so with a bit more setup work it should be OK to race. And what's worse, bringing a 2015 car in the middle of the year will cost them a lot of money for what's essentially no gain. Even if they gained 1.5s, they'd be dead last. Ecclestone shouldn't be upset they're aiming his system, he should be upset for having encouraged that situation.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Vasconia

ME4ME wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Agree with Stevens, but Merhi has usually been considered a more talented driver than Carlos Sainz jr. (they´ve competed many times on same series), and you see how much deserved praising Sainz is receiving, so IMO Merhi deserve not only a seat on Manor, but probably a better car.

He´s had a lot of problems on Manor, they say his PU had been underperforming compared to his team mate, and he also was more than 10kg heavier than Stevens. He still is heavier, but he´s slim down and now the difference is smaller, plus they´ve solved his PU problems, and the result has been obvious, on Monaco he was not that far from lapping stevens...
Admittedly I haven't seen them compete in junior series, but in F1 Merhi isn't even close to being on the same level as Sainz. To me Merhi is probably the worst driver currently in F1. He is dead slow compared to Stevens who isn't a driver i rate that high either, but looks brilliant because of him. I don't care much about the unfair equipment rumors. Merhi wasn't great in his outings for Caterham last year either.

Manor switching to Honda engines would be a step back on PU performance. Probably a step forward financially, but also a huge step forward if Mclaren decides to park their development drivers at Manor. Imagine Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne getting seats for next year, that would be a massive step forward for the team.

The weight and a worse PU (plus the lack of simulator) seem to be real problems in this case. Moreove,r Merhi has improved a lot and he has been better than Stevens in the last two races. And this is important taking into account that these two tracks have been Monaco and Montreal.

Samraj_official

Merhi is more like ericsson both are tall and both are slow but does mean button and hulk are slow!!! to be a fast driver you need to have incredible fast reflexes and good and progressive steering output. this video makes good insight why schumi was faster than his teammate https://youtu.be/Uk2p2nRK-p4 from 1:57

Andres125sx

ME4ME wrote:

I guess you missed last two races, when Merhi has solved part of his problems... btw
ME4ME wrote: but in F1 Merhi isn't even close to being on the same level as Sainz.
How can you make such a comparison between a Manor driver and a STR driver? They can´t be compared with cars that different

ESPImperium

I watched the WSR3.5 Saturday race at Hungary last weekend, and Mehri was in a class of his own despite being placed in P2 for the race. Whilst everyone was struggling on tyres he was in P5, the P4 then in the last few laps he crept to P3 then, with a last corner mugging on Rowland he finished P2. He has clearly learnt on the Pirellis and translated that to the Michelins. One more lap and he would have had the 19 year old Russian dude that led most of the race and is said to be better than KVJ in commentary.

Stevens was good in early rounds, however he has had race and test experience from last years Caterham, and was a talent at one stage. However Mehri had loads of FP1 outings in same Caterham. Stevens has more distance going against Mehri, yes. However, listening to the Commentary, and also from what I'm reading from some sources, Stevens is great at setting up a car, but development is his issue, Mehri can develop the car better. I am led to believe Mehri is running only a few kilos less than Stevens now as Manor have lightened his chassis a little. Mehdi was 15Kg heavier than Stevens at the start of the season, now its just less than half of that.

I think Mehri, the man who drove Sainz close, and only lost it to Sainz on the last two weekends of the year is a driver to watch. I admire him and the way he has taken the flack, but is now driving his way through his and Manors problems with a limited tech wise car. Yes his deal is only race to race, and Leimer will probably take the seat of Mehri in Spa and Monza. Mehdi will probably not have many more performances in F1 as i think Manor will be taking Vandoorne on in Singapore as Leimers replacement, or doing a FP1 appearance until he gets the GP2 title at Sochi, then Vandoorne will probably take the rest of the GP2 season in a Ricardo HRT style deal.

I fear that a driver like Mehri, and Leimer will eventually head to be WEC bound and be lost to F1 as talents that could-a/should-a drivers, a list that has a long like. Where F1 looses, WEC will gain. Dare i mention Hulkenberg as a prime example for what could-a been in F1 and what is in WEC/LM24 right now?

ME4ME

Andres125sx wrote:How can you make such a comparison between a Manor driver and a STR driver? They can´t be compared with cars that different
The same way we compare all other drivers in different cars etc. Not very scientific, but that's the way it is.

When thinking of Sainz, the thing that comes to mind is he is a quick qualifier, and a decent racer who hasn't made to many mistakes so far. Thinking of Merhi (again in F1 only), i think of the several crashes he had with Caterham in his FP1 outings last year, and the poor job he has done so far this year.There has barely been an more anonymous driver.

That's my current opinion anyhow. Let's wait and see. He might improve, or even get a more fair chance if that isn't the case right now. Then i'm open to change opinion.

Andres125sx

ME4ME wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:How can you make such a comparison between a Manor driver and a STR driver? They can´t be compared with cars that different
The same way we compare all other drivers in different cars etc. Not very scientific, but that's the way it is.
Same nosense. When a driver has driven different cars with different team mates, you can make an idea of his real perfomance compared to some other driver, but when he´s on his first season and his team mate didn´t drive any other car either it´s impossible to make a slight idea of his real perfomance
ME4ME wrote:Thinking of Merhi (again in F1 only), i think of the several crashes he had with Caterham in his FP1 outings last year, and the poor job he has done so far this year.There has barely been an more anonymous driver.

That's my current opinion anyhow. Let's wait and see. He might improve, or even get a more fair chance if that isn't the case right now. Then i'm open to change opinion.
So you confirm you missed last GPs, right?

Monaco lap times

As you can see, he was consistently faster for the whole race, up to 1 second per lap faster. With some more laps he´d have lapped stevens

Andres125sx

Red Bull Ring Q1:

19 ROBERTO MERHI 1:14.071
20 WILL STEVENS 1:15.368

ME4ME

Like I said let's wait and see how the season unfolds. I'll happily admit he's fast once he consistently shows it.

Monaco is all about traffic, but yes Merhi did well there. The same cannot be said if you look at Bahrain and Spain were Stevens was clearly quicker. Canada they were equal.

And then again, I don't rate Stevens as highly as Sainz, Verstappen and Nasr either.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:Red Bull Ring Q1:

19 ROBERTO MERHI 1:14.071
20 WILL STEVENS 1:15.368

Anothe race where Merhi has shown a good performance. And with this 3 races in a row, I think that he has found the way to unlock his potential to beat Stevens.

Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Cuky

new sponsor until the end of the season, they posted it on official Facebook page
OUT OF THE BOX
Manor Marussia F1 Team and Flex Box announce Team Partnership for the remainder of the 2015 season

Silverstone, UK - 2 July 2015

The Manor Marussia F1 Team today announced a new partnership with Flex Box, a leading worldwide manufacturer and supplier of new shipping, storage and reefer containers. As an Official Team Partner for the remainder of the season, the relationship gets underway with effect from this weekend’s 2015 Formula 1 British Grand Prix, the team’s home race, where Flex Box branding will make a striking new addition to the team’s MR03B Formula 1 cars.

An international company based in Hong Kong, Flex Box manufactures and ships in excess of 25,000 containers of all types worldwide every year, with inventory in China, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and North & South America.

“We are very pleased to welcome Flex Box to the Manor Marussia F1 Team. We are two very ambitious businesses, aspiring to dramatic growth on the international stage and making a major impact in our respective industries, said John Booth, Team Principal. “This is our second partnership announcement in just a few weeks, so these are exciting times in our team’s development. It is very rewarding for us to be able to welcome likeminded brands to join us on that journey and assist them in achieving their own global objectives.”

"I am delighted to have agreed a partnership between Flex Box and the Manor Marussia F1 Team, and to be announcing this at the team’s home Grand Prix this weekend,” said Henrik Nielsen, Managing Director & Owner, Flex Box Ltd. “We have a strong pedigree in sports car racing, with partnerships across nine different categories, so Flex Box already has a presence in motor sport. We are very pleased to be extending that presence into Formula 1 for the first time, a move that is representative of our global ambitions for the growth of our business.”

TzeiTzei

It's nice to see them have a couple of sponsors. They probably aren't paying too much but the way I see it, for a struggling backmarker like Manor it is important to have those big stickers on the car. If only for credibility and good looks. A sponsorless car looks just really sad and makes me think negative about the team. Well done flex-box and manor [thumbs up].