Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

He smartly said "Recovered 90hp" and not "made 90hp" It is all about energy efficiency in these power units.
Definitely the speed of the car would seem as it were 90 hp more powerful than last years one. Another thing to take from this 90hp recovery... If you look at the bigger picture... Mercedes has reached limiting returns. Many people said that last years Ferrari was about 80hp to 100hp down... Ferrari has recovered that over the winter they are right on the tail of Mercedes who as expected could not make that huge jump in power due to their engine having less headroom for improvment. I agree with Maurizio... next year is going to be very fun.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dren

The updated 2016 spec Ferrari PU that Raikkonen will likely run in the USA will relocate the oil tank and the MGUK will be moved from the rear to the lower left side of the block. A new gearbox will be required. The plan is to open the rear more for aero gains next season.
Honda!

Blackout

The oil tank? they've already relocated it in 2015 in front of the engine.
I wonder if the new gearbox will also be shorter*, not only narrower at the bottom...
*That would also imply big aero modifications...

dren

Yeah, I'm expecting a tighter rear with more undercut around the transmission area like some of the other teams. If Ferrari is focusing on relocating components, then their power must be relatively on par. They should be gaining ground next year on Mercedes.
Honda!

SiLo

dren wrote:Yeah, I'm expecting a tighter rear with more undercut around the transmission area like some of the other teams. If Ferrari is focusing on relocating components, then their power must be relatively on par. They should be gaining ground next year on Mercedes.
Should be. I'll wait to see what Mercedes come up with next year before I pass judgement on that though.
Felipe Baby!

ripper

On Omnicorse they said that if Raikkonen will mount the new specification probabily they will also use a new transmission, that might be an hybrid version between the actual and the next year one. One of the reason is to check the affidability of the new components.

wuzak

ripper wrote:Again Arrivabene on Ferrari's PU:

"In 2015 we have recovered about 90 hp compared to 2014. For the next year, the target will be much lower. But it's the same for everyone. I have great confidence in this team and that Vettel is truly a phenomenon. I am sure it will be a fun season ."
So, if they had 600hp in the 2014 ICE, that means they are pushing 690hp in the 2015 PU. And Mercedes have 15-20hp more than that.

600hp would be at the low end of what I would have thought Ferrari's engine last season, so unless they have started from an unusually small base, the must be close to or over 700hp....

Cold Fussion

wuzak wrote:
ripper wrote:Again Arrivabene on Ferrari's PU:

"In 2015 we have recovered about 90 hp compared to 2014. For the next year, the target will be much lower. But it's the same for everyone. I have great confidence in this team and that Vettel is truly a phenomenon. I am sure it will be a fun season ."
So, if they had 600hp in the 2014 ICE, that means they are pushing 690hp in the 2015 PU. And Mercedes have 15-20hp more than that.

600hp would be at the low end of what I would have thought Ferrari's engine last season, so unless they have started from an unusually small base, the must be close to or over 700hp....
Is it clear it's peak power he is talking about? Finding 15% extra ICE power over the course of the season would be pretty huge, especially for an experienced engine builder.

FW17

Will Ferrari be able to run a variable length intake manifold with the intercooler within the V?

Will the intercooler be moved to make room for the same next season?

ripper

Today on some italian media there's written that the new PU spec won't be used at Austin because the engineers are still working on it. Moreover due to the recent token&blackened areas changes the whole concept of smaller basement might be postponed to 2016 in order to have develpment time.

ME4ME

Motorsport.com reporting the same:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... in-austin/
Lorenzo Sassi, the chief designer of Ferrari's power unit, admitted that the team was evaluating several ideas of how best to make use of its remaining development tokens.

"We still have four left and plenty of ideas on how to spend them, both on increasing power for this season and also looking ahead to 2016," he said.

Silent Storm

Vettel confirmed Ferrari will use 5th PU here.. So a 10 place penalty for them. https://twitter.com/crash_f1/status/657244950325624832
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

PlatinumZealot

Thank you Ferrari! 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

I think that 90 Hp was bother ICE and ERS.
For Sure!!

dren

I've read this is more of a layout change for the PU than power gain. They will have a tighter rear.
Honda!