Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Joseki

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

I actually think PP will continue to follow his "Red Bull concept" with a shorter nose next year and the pretty much confirmed suspensions changes.

mclaren111

What suspension changes ?

Joseki

mclaren111 wrote:What suspension changes ?
I'm reading since March that the suspension is just a leftover of the mushrooms one from last year and that PP didn't like it, they even changed it for AD.

mclaren111

Yes - sorry the rear suspension. They tested it over the weekend.

proteus

Alonso did a laptime of hope with fully streched Honda engine on the last laps of the race, being only 0.250 sec behind Hamiltons fastest lap. Cant say what as going on, but still quite an achievevement with all the problems they had this year.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

f1rules

alonso was on supersofts i think i read and hami on hards, so not impressive at all

Felipe 92

proteus wrote:Alonso did a laptime of hope with fully streched Honda engine on the last laps of the race, being only 0.250 sec behind Hamiltons fastest lap. Cant say what as going on, but still quite an achievevement with all the problems they had this year.
Alonso was on supersoft tyres (Hamilton was on softs). Alonso pitted only to have a go at the fastest lap of the race and before that lap he had 2 laps of cooling down,making track space and preparing for full qualifying mode lap (as they said on McLaren live feed).

To put that in perspective his 1m44.796s lap was :
- 0.3s slower than last years fastests lap
- 7.07s faster than the fastest lap of GP2 race
- 2.97s faster than GP2 pole

Quite an achievement for a GP2 engine.
Last edited by Felipe 92 on 30 Nov 2015, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

j.yank

f1rules wrote:alonso was on supersofts i think i read and hami on hards, so not impressive at all
Vetel was on supersoft and his quickest lap was 3 laps before Alonso. The difference between supersoft and soft was about 0.5 sec, so even if we made corrections for tires and laps, the gap is bellow 1 sec. Given the situation trough the whole season this is quite impressive.
proteus wrote:Alonso did a laptime of hope with fully streched Honda engine on the last laps of the race, being only 0.250 sec behind Hamiltons fastest lap. Cant say what as going on, but still quite an achievevement with all the problems they had this year.
Actually this lap didn't produce better speed trap which is quite strange. This means that they were able to deploy more energy during the lap but the maximum power was still low. Anyway, this also demonstrate the potential they can unlock for the next season.

diffuser

DiogoBrand wrote:One thing I find intriguing and that has been consistently overlooked is McLaren's lack consistency this year. I mean, even when they have a relatively good pace at one circuit, they rarely achieve the results they could.
Almost every time they have a chance of getting a good result, or even finishing on the points, either one car fails to qualify, or gets a DNF.
And the most interesting is that the power unit, while remarkably unreliable, didn't have a part in a good portion of these incidents. We've seen brake ducts blocked by a visor film, crashes, punctures, all sorts of mishaps to hinder them from finishing on a better position than they did. Not to mention that I've seen a lot of people praise 'how Honda has adressed their unreliability issues', and I may be wrong, but to me it doesn't look like they really have. Let's not forget we haven't seen any PU's from them running even close to what they should, which is an average of 3,8 Grands Prix.

So, it's obvious they need to sort their pace for next season, and I believe they will, but I really don't want to see them achieving competitive pace and throwing good results off the window for lack of consistency.
If you looked back through the season all the PU manufactures had issues with their PUs when they introduced token changes. So instability is created with the token updates. Honda went though 3 of those. When they weren't making token changes they were often making large reliability changes to the PU. So I think a high percentage of the PU reliability issues were created from constant change.

The tell tail sign for next year will be the tests in Spain at the end of February early March. The more mileage they can get on the cars in those 8 days the better prepared they'll be for next season.

It is kind of dumb that those 8 days are in back to back weeks, doesn't leave much time to make PU changes from 1 session to the other.

Thunder

Pirelli Tire Tests today. McLaren wants to get rid of the old FlowViz apparently. :D https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 9757519872
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Joseki

They are running the monkey seat.

turbof1

I have moved the discussion about the Abu Dhabi test to its own seperate topic: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=23693
#AeroFrodo

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

stefan_

I had a few moments during this season when I thought that the MP4/30 is the MP4/18 returned in a different shape to haunt us.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985